My computer won't turn on now? Power Switch/Supply Question

CSykes24

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
Last night, my desktop that I've custom built turned off on me. It has an ASUS a97 MOBO in it with some case that I don't even know the name of. Logisys? Maybe. I didn't invest enough in a good one.

Anyways, the power is getting to the MOBO, but my switch won't turn it on. I've tried disconnecting the 24-pin connector, as well as the Power Switch/Reset Switch pins. It won't turn it on, but after I reset the power in the back and put the 24-pin connector back in, it'll flick the power switch LED on, like it wants to work, but it just can't.

Is there anyone out there that could help me with a solution? I'd really appreciate not having to take it somewhere else to get it looked at and pay money for no reason.

Thanks again.

EDIT: Some other notable things:

-There's a click towards the back of the MOBO when I try to power it on. The LED flickers, the sound clicks, but that's it. The LED only flickers the first time after plugging in the 24-pin connector.

-I'm not running HD Audio out of the front of AC-97. My MOBO doesn't support that.

blackmancer

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
I'd suggest removing the motherboard and testing it out of the case, you may be getting a short somewhere. Find a motherboard box or similar to sit everything on and just hook up power, monitor, removing add on cards, so you got just mobo, cpu, ram, vga. if it still doesn't work, remove the cpu and see if the mobo beeps. it it doesn't, remove the power from the psu, take the CMOS battery out and leave the whole thing for 30s and retry.

CSykes24

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
I tried all of the above; no success. I also don't even have another tower in my apartment to try to troubleshoot it with the power supply. It's so frustrating. We just got snowed in, too. Would've been a perfect time to mess around on it.