Transfer internet signal 1/2 mile via phoneline

gohlda01

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
I am currently in a situation where I want to share internet between a couple buildings at the site I work at. The problem is that it is a forested area and the buildings are about 1/2 mile away from the source of the internet. The only physical connection of the buildings is the phone lines running between them. Is there any way to use the existing phone line to transfer the internet connection to the other buildings and split it between 2 computers. I know that it would probably involve a substantial loss of speed, but I'm ok with that as the internet at the other buildings will not have heavy use.

roagie

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
1/2 mile is a bit long max recommended length is 100 meters. You may have to find a way to boost the signal. Also depending on the grade/age of the wire you may see significant slow down speeds. Theoretically, and depending on about 2-3 factors mentioned above it could work. Cat 5-6 wire often used in networking cable is UTP *unshielded twisted pair* the same that is often used in phone cabinets. If you can splice/terminate this shouldn't be too hard of an exercise. I would begin by putting an RJ 45 on each end, and using a cable tester to see how well the signal moves. Then decide how to proceed from there. on the other end get a layer 2 or dummy switch to split the signal. This may even provide the ability to add more computers in the future.

If I sound like I'm speaking another language: hire a professional. It shouldn't be that expensive to add in the line you need.

Hope this helps.