Help! PSU Is Not Working

rexdoghd

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
I just got the last of my parts to build my computer today and I started putting it together. The PSU that I'm using is a Seasonic x650. I have everything put together on the motherboard box but I ran into a problem. I believe I have everything plugged into the PSU correctly. First, whenever I turn on the PSU their is a really high pitch noise. My parents can't hear it but I can. Second, when I turn on the computer it powers up and the fans for everything start running, but their is a click after around 12 seconds in the PSU and it all turns of. Then 5 seconds later it turns back on and keeps repeating this. I can't even get it to POST. Is this a problem with my PSU? This is my first build so I'm pretty upset and would really appreciate any help I can get.

Solution
To begin your troubleshooting I would recommend starting off with the bare essentials and add components one at a time until you find the offending component.

Since you have an Ivy Bridge processor with Intel HD Graphics 4000 and the ASRock Z77 Extreme6 motherboard has its own graphics output ports start your troubleshooting without the discrete graphics card installed and with just one memory module.

If you're able to get some graphics output (i.e. POST screens) then power off and add another memory module. Do this for the remaining memory modules.

If all memory modules work without causing the POST boot loop then try installing the discrete graphics card.

rexdoghd

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
I just took out all but one ram module and it seems to be sort of running now. It doesn't turn itself off and the fans are all running. The PSU still makes a really high pitch noise which I assume is just coil while. However, I'm not seeing anything on my monitor.

To begin your troubleshooting I would recommend starting off with the bare essentials and add components one at a time until you find the offending component.

Since you have an Ivy Bridge processor with Intel HD Graphics 4000 and the ASRock Z77 Extreme6 motherboard has its own graphics output ports start your troubleshooting without the discrete graphics card installed and with just one memory module.

If you're able to get some graphics output (i.e. POST screens) then power off and add another memory module. Do this for the remaining memory modules.

If all memory modules work without causing the POST boot loop then try installing the discrete graphics card.

Solution

rexdoghd

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
I haven't tried what you suggested without the GPU yet, but I think I have singled out the problem. I don't believe it's a memory module but instead one of the memory slots on the motherboard. No matter what module I use the computer wont POST if it is in slot B1. However, it will post with memory in A1, A2, and/or B2. Does this mean that I have a faulty motherboard?

It certainly seems to indicate a faulty memory slot.

rexdoghd

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
Weirdly after taking them out and putting them back in they all seem to work. The computer POSTS, and it indicates that I have 16gb of ram. Does that mean I should install it in the case now?