Sign in with
Your question

Home Network Dilemma - Not sure what to do - Please Help...

Tags:
  • Routers
  • Wireless Router
  • Connection
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
September 5, 2011 8:05:12 PM

Hi there and thanks in advance for your help!

I moved to a new house and had Comcast come out to install internet. Here's where it gets frustrating for me: the technician connected a docsis modem in the box that is in the master closet and connected the ethernet cable to a plug in the box labeled living room. In the living room, he installed my wireless router so that I connect wireless, as well as to provide a wired connection for WD TV Live Hub, Cable box, Blu-Ray, etc.

Ideally, I thought that to be a good setup; however, I have components in two other rooms that cannot be connected wireless, and I'm not sure what I need here. I have another wireless router that I don't use anymore; since there are other plugs in the closet labeled with the rooms I need to connect, could I connect that to the cable modem in the closet to the wireless router and use the 4 LAN's to make the wall switches in the other rooms "live?"

If I can do that, will I be able to also use the wireless router in the same capacity? In other words, if I can use the other wireless router in the closet to make the other plugs live, I should be able to keep one of them plugged in to the living room (from the box in the closet) and have the other wireless router feed through that, right?

If it helps, the two routers that I have are:

Netgear N600 WNDR3700v2
Netgear N300 WNR2000

Hopefully, this isn't too confusing and someone can help me figure out exactly what I need in order to make this work.

Thanks again,

Mike

More about : home network dilemma

September 6, 2011 4:44:41 AM

You basically sound like you need a small switch to make this work. This would allow you to turn up all the ports in your closet. You may be able to do this with the router you listed. Make sure you configure the second router correctly, otherwise you are going to have issues.

So Cable Modem to router/wireless 1 in closet. Available LAN ports then go to turn up actual wall ports. If you need additional ports in living room use small switch or router 2*as wireless extender or completely turned off* use the ports on the sw/rtr to bring living room equipment on the network.

This is the best I can do with out actually looking at your setup, which you may want someone to do. There are a ton of variables that can come into play here and will make a huge differences in network performance.
m
l
September 7, 2011 5:24:30 PM

roagie said:
You basically sound like you need a small switch to make this work. This would allow you to turn up all the ports in your closet. You may be able to do this with the router you listed. Make sure you configure the second router correctly, otherwise you are going to have issues.

So Cable Modem to router/wireless 1 in closet. Available LAN ports then go to turn up actual wall ports. If you need additional ports in living room use small switch or router 2*as wireless extender or completely turned off* use the ports on the sw/rtr to bring living room equipment on the network.

This is the best I can do with out actually looking at your setup, which you may want someone to do. There are a ton of variables that can come into play here and will make a huge differences in network performance.

Thanks, roagie. After reading your post, I looked into switches and they aren't as expensive as I thought, so I might as well pick one up this week. I'm sure it comes with basic instructions, but is it as easy as plugging in the modem to the switch, then the switch to the panel? I should be able to keep the wireless router in the living room as is by doing it this way, right?

Thanks again!
m
l
Related resources
September 7, 2011 6:30:30 PM

I would say if the switch doesn't work call Comcast and make them come out and fix it the way you want it. Your paying for their service every month so if there are ethernet ports that need to be hooked up in your closet so that the jack in each room could have internet, then that is the way it SHOULD have been installed in the first place.

Sometimes installers are lazy and do whatever is quickest and easiest for them, not what is best for you.

I just got a new Time Warner DOCSIS modem hooked up. Their modem is a modem & wireless router in one (the old service was a modem and my wireless router). And they were so lazy that instead of just hooking up the new modem/router and disconnecting my current router and modem (a whole 3 cords), they put in the new wireless modem/router and ran it through my old wireless router that was sitting right next to it. Really had me scratching my head as to why they did that, who needs one wireless router running straight into a second wireless router? So after they left i just redid it correctly myself.

What are the devices you have in other rooms that cannot get wireless? Just out of curiosity.
m
l
September 7, 2011 8:09:44 PM

Thanks for the advice, I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Quote:
What are the devices you have in other rooms that cannot get wireless?

Living:
Comcast DVR
Blu-Ray
WD TV Live Hub

Office:
Two Printers

Bed:
WD TV Live

m
l
September 8, 2011 3:04:58 AM

Ya if you pick up a dummy switch (small unmanaged switch) it's pretty much plug and play. From your description I doubt you are running VLAN's or VOIP or anything very complicated. Be aware: if you are you will need an entirely different type of switch.

Hope this helps.
m
l
!