Radeon 7770 crossfire with kaveri APU?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Crossfire
  • Trinity
  • Radeon
Last response: in CPUs
January 18, 2013 12:13:04 AM

am thinking of purchasing a Radeon 7770 and hoping that by the end of this year when kaveri comes out I'll be able to do crossfire with the IGP on kaveri

Do you guys think this will be possible?

I have a bit of doubt because currently TRINITY(5800 K) is not able to crossfire with this 6770, so I'm afraid that kaveri will not be able to crossfire with the 7770.I'm not sure why they decided that Trinity would pair with the 6670 but not the 6770

more I think about it the more I think it would make sense. To have the 7750 and 7770 crossfire with kaveri. Kaveri is their newest GCN APU can at time of its release will be the only GCN APU. And the lowest tier GCN APU's would be the 7750 in the 7770, am I correct?

Having the kaveri be able to crossfire with anything higher than those which seem overkill, and having it crossfire with anything less would leave us with no options because those are the lowest GCN APU's to my knowledge

,Unless they make it that the kaveri will be able to crossfire with the 8000 series APUs better rebranded 7000 series, but if that's possible, then why isn't it possible to have 7750 and 7770 crossfire?

So yeah maybe it's wishful thinking on my part, but it also makes the most sense.

If they decide to do something crazy like make a chip that specifically designed to crossfire withKaveri APU's that would make them lose all their credibility in the value market

More about : radeon 7770 crossfire kaveri apu

a b à CPUs
January 18, 2013 4:48:13 AM

6670 Is already held back by crossfiring with an APU, 6770 would run probably 1/2 as fast in a crossfire. If you hand off half the screen draws to an APU that runs 1/3 as fast as the GPU, then all you do is wait on the APU.

Biggest issue is that an APU will never be fast enough to mate with a good GPU because it uses DDR3 as the memory. That's why GDDR and GDDR5 was invented. DDR3 is too slow for graphics cards.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 18, 2013 4:59:09 AM

Still talk of kaviri using on die VRAM for the iGPU component, they are using faster on die RAM on the consoles so it is very feasible that AMD are addressing this aspect.

It is about gradual steps, but AMD is very close to mainstream iGPU gaming, well ahead of Intel at the least.
m
l
January 18, 2013 6:22:20 AM

well when that day comes i seriously look into APU. right now its too hard to give up the discrete card performance. even with 2133 ddr3 on a 5800K. especially multiplayer games where smooth FPS is crucial.,

although if u crossfire the 5800K with a discrete ddr5 card, the GPU's will use the DDR5. So i don't see how you are cutting the 6670's perf. in half as u say
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 18, 2013 6:40:27 AM

toawe said:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/GeForce-GT-440-5...

And from those benchmarks it seems that ddr 5 video cards are only faster by 10% on average compared to DDR 3.Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken or lacking in knowledge in this area.

It's scalar. The memory bandwidth is the bus width (ie 128-bit) multiplied by the memory speed multiplied by the modifier for ddr.
On a low memory application, this limitation will not be especially significant, and the gpu core speed/architecture will be more dependant.
On a high memory application (high resolution textures etc) the difference could be dramatic.
It will depend hugely on the type of comparison you make.
m
l
January 18, 2013 9:21:20 AM

hybrid xfire gains are laughable
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 18, 2013 10:58:42 AM

I have tested using DDR3 1333 right up to DDR3 2400, the difference between 1333 and 2400 is around 10-15FPS, overclocked to DDR3 3000 you get even more dramatic improvments. Against any Intel integrated solution it is a complete massacre, HD4000 barely shows any improvement in the same parameters. AMD never claimed LLano or Trinity as high end gaming parts on iGPU so nobody should be mistaken into thinking such, but with DDR3 2400 you can get Skyrim playable at 1080P on medium presets, that is pretty damn impressive.

Moving over to discrete, as in my sig. A APU with HD7870GE scores by and large the same gaming scores as a i3 3220 so all in all for a pricetag and the features you get on a A85 platform the APU is a fantastic piece of technology.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 18, 2013 2:22:39 PM

toawe said:

although if u crossfire the 5800K with a discrete ddr5 card, the GPU's will use the DDR5. So i don't see how you are cutting the 6670's perf. in half as u say

Yeah, I was thinking of traditional crossfire where 1/2 the screen is drawn by each card. Assuming the driver cuts the load intelligently, at some point, the APU's contribution to the equation become nil. If you've had to split the load 90/10 and crossfire has 10% overhead (all theoretical numbers) then you are going to be back to square one. This is already happening at the 6670 level if you check benchmarks. A8 or A10 crossfire with a 6670 gets 6670 performance. That means, to me, that already at 6670 level, the APU can only add in enough help to compensate for overhead. It wouldn't change from there. If you paired it with a 7870, you might end up with a 98/2 split which wouldn't even cover overhead.

All theoretical ramblings, but seems to be true based on current benchmarks.
m
l
February 22, 2013 12:17:27 PM

I hope this happens.....if kaveri does end up using ddr4 memory, and has a gcn based gpu, there is no reason it wouldnt crossfire with a 7750/70. here's hoping.
m
l
May 6, 2013 12:59:46 AM

The FM3 sockets are set to have integrated GDDR5 RAM (whether this is a motherboard or CPU feature hasn't be released)

The FM3 motherboards have also been confirmed that they use DDR4 memory, so your argument against DDR3 is invalid.

Hopefully they will remedy the hybrid crossfire limitations of the APUs and allow it it be crossfired with higher end cards.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 2, 2013 11:35:39 PM

So far the as many of the others have said the performance from crossfire with an APU and a GPU hasn't been all that promising. Sometimes it gives a few frames higher and sometimes its less. The same card with a better CPU usually does better, so there is no telling what will happen. Hopefully they will find a way for the two GPU's to divide the work based on number of cores, so if the APU has half as many cores then the APU will do 1/3 of the work or something. This just makes sense to me because if they can have the APU just make even a few frames per second, like 10 or less even, and send just that amount straight from the CPU cache to the GPU it would improve performance. I think the that is the issue they are having with crossfire on APU's is because GPU connections are typically between cards that are exactly the same. Obviously the APU can't keep up, but it could do a little work.

If they do fix this it would be an awesome CPU. The micro stutter issue is being fixed by AMD too now so crossfire performance will be much better at the end of this year.

Regardless I can't wait for Kaveri to come out. My system is just a i3-3225 with a Radeon 7850. The A10 Trinities were pretty much completely equal with this CPU when they launched even at base clock. Richland is seeing a 10% boost in performance and a huge drop i power usage, which for performance will probably see it on par with Haswell i3's when they arrive. Then with Kaveri the APU's will probably get another 10% boost and put them on par with low level i5's before overclocking. After overclocking they will probably be better than any of the i5 line except the new i5-4570k (I think thats right number). I highly doubt that the APU will be able to crossfire with my 7850 (though I wish it could!) but I love integrated parts. Makes me feel good having a back up, especially if I take out the GPU just to play around with it in another system or something. So hopefully Kaveri will come soon. :) 

Also for the DDR on Kaveri, a lot of people are thinking that since Kaveri like APU's will be in the PS4 which uses DDR5, that it makes sense AMD can make it work for desktops. That would be really great, and honestly I think they probably will, but you never know.
m
l
!