AMD Phenom 965 Black edition, Geforce GTX670 FPS issues.

DogmaticTax

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
I recently completed my first build and originally purchased a Radeon 6870. However I noticed the frames per second on Battlefield 3 were lacking so I decided to exchange the GPU for something a bit more powerful. Now I'm concerned that I've bottle necked the GPU with the processor. I normally hover around 50fps and it only goes down from there. The funny thing is the Radeon 6870 worked better. I was interested in just returning the Phenom and getting an FX-8350. I'm just wondering what you guys think? Will it solve my FPS issue? Is there some change I can make presently to make my FPS better? Any input would be appreciated.

The FX-8350 would be quite the upgrade from your current CPU, and if your bottleneck is in your CPU then yes that should solve your FPS troubles, good luck mate, oh and how are your temps looking? If there's something wrong with the cooling of your newer GPU then it could cause it to be very slow

DogmaticTax

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

My CPU sits at about 50 degrees Celsius under the load from BF3. I can't really tell if my CPU is bottle necking me, task manger says all four cores are being about 80% utilized during gameplay. I didn't think my CPU was that bad. Is there a reliable way to see why I'm getting low FPS?

DogmaticTax

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

Yeah, I'm kind of at a loss as to why I only have about 40-60 fps. I was kind of going all out on the GPU, I figured that would be enough.

BeastLeeX

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
It should be, try reinstall drivers, or swap pci slots. I have a 6870 with a Phenom II 960t at 3.9Ghz. I don't get many problems with games, and I get about 45 fps in GW2 with settings on the higher side of 1080p. I am waiting for this years card to release to upgrade. Also if you need to try to reinstall windows.

You.
Got.
To.
Be.
Kidding.
Me.

DogmaticTax

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
Just had an interesting development. I installed everest and ran it as I was in BF3 and it listed one of my cores as not doing anything. 0% utilized, while the other three cores were maxed out. Is this an issue with everest or has anyone heard of something like this happening?

leokatero

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
My CPU sits at about 50 degrees Celsius under the load from BF3.
a15
k3

ish416

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012

In the picture you linked, all four of the cores are nearly 100% utilized. They are listed as core 0,1,2,3.

To see if this is a CPU issue, try overclocking or underclocking by a few hundered Mhz and see if that makes any difference. To do this, just change the multiplier from the stock setting of 17 to 18.5 for an overclock or 15 for an underclock. All other settings can remain at their stock values.

I also noticed that your GPU usage is only about 45% and peaked at 85%. Also, look at your GPU core clock. For some reason it was steady at a certain number and then started slowing itself down. That could be from an ALT + Tab or something else.

DogmaticTax

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

Yeah I was wondering if it was a problem with everest. It list's one of the cores as doing nothing. If I change the value on the overclock the processor without an aftermarket fan to test it will I do any kind of damage in the time it takes to test it ?

Ballin' on a budget.

sheepsnowadays

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012

Sounds like an unstable overclock. When i was OCing my 1090t i noticed 5 cores loaded and 1 core nothing. The result was not enough voltage for the overclock because each core is differnet.

Just to reiterate - your reading your screen wrongly. CPU 0-3 on the bottom are your 4 CPU cores, the top one is an aggregate of the 4 and the empty one is something else (I'm unfamiliar with the app - is "service CPU usage" the CPU the app is using?) - but all four cores are definitely working hard there :)

DogmaticTax

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

Yeah, the task manager said my cores were going nuts, but everest was saying one wasn't doing anything. However I did just OC to 18.5 for a game like someone suggested, Caspian Border, 64 players, about 35-50 fps on Ultra. I would have done it longer but my processor shot up to 63C fairly quickly. I did notice however that all of the cores were still being taxed at about 90%.

Yea it is your CPU bottlenecking you for sure... I would suggest upgrading to at least a FX-6300(~$140), other options are FX-8320(~$180) or FX-8350(~$200) (If your current motherboard is AM3+). You will also want to buy a CPU cooler, best one for the price being the CM Hyper 212 Evo(~$30) and overclock your CPU.
If your current Motherboard is not AM3+ then you might want to think about switching to intel and getting an i5.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
BF3 is very cpu intensive when you're talking multiplayer mode. Single player benchmarks are not accurate in relation to that.

So ya getting a new cpu will help you a lot in that particular setting. Though if it's worth it to or not is up to you.

jayambroziak

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
Getting an FX 8xxx or 6xxx series processor would not do any good. Getting an aftermarket cooler for your current CPU and overclocking it is your cheapest option for improved performance. The 8xxx series is not going to perform better than your OC'd Phenom II 965. Most games, don't utilize more than 4 cores, so, it'd be a waste to get an 8 core that performs the same and waste 4 cores of muscle. The new FX processors are much better for multi-threaded applications such as encoding and rendering.

Your only other option is to go Intel, which will cost you. New CPU, motherboard, and faster RAM. It's your decision, but, a ~$30 aftermarket cooler looks a LOT better than +$400 for the Intel option.

Wait... what?? are we not talking about BF3? As far as i know it can/will use all the cpu cores that are available to it, and will give a big boost in performance by upgrading to a FX-6300, 8320,8350....

DogmaticTax

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
Great advice from everyone. I already have an AM3+ Mobo, so upgrading to the 8350 looks like the best option. I found one on newegg for 199.99. I don't see how I could justify dropping another $400 to switch to intel when I could have the same performance from an 8350 for half the price. I'd be more open to OC'ing this processor if I didn't just build the PC. If anyone has an AMD recommendation aside from the Vishera I'm open to any suggestions.

TRENDING THREADS