Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Would like a way reuse existing windows when you double cl..

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Microsoft
  • Customization
  • Windows XP
July 20, 2005 10:49:08 AM

Since the invent of 'Windows' I have always had it set so that
double-clicking on a folder opened a new window.

This is the best way for me, but sometimes results in the desktop
becoming cluttered with open windows.

I was talking with a colleague the other and came up with an idea and
wondered if anyone else had thought of this and perhaps writen some
kind of hack.

My idea is based on the fact that if you are 'drilling down' to a
particular folder, you wouldn't really want all the other folders to
remain open.

So the suggestion was that if you double click within a defined period
of time, it would re-use the same window, but if it were OUTSIDE of
this time, it would open a new window.

This means that if you quickly double-clicked on folders as you drilled
down, it would remain in the same window, but as soon as you stopped
(for say 1 sec) and then double-clicked you would now get a new window.

It very unlikely but is there any way to do this??

Jon

More about : reuse existing windows double

July 20, 2005 2:26:05 PM

In news:1121867348.712294.51590@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com,
jon.p.weaver@alcatel.co.uk <jon.p.weaver@alcatel.co.uk> had this to say:

> Since the invent of 'Windows' I have always had it set so that
> double-clicking on a folder opened a new window.
>
> This is the best way for me, but sometimes results in the desktop
> becoming cluttered with open windows.
>
> I was talking with a colleague the other and came up with an idea and
> wondered if anyone else had thought of this and perhaps writen some
> kind of hack.
>
> My idea is based on the fact that if you are 'drilling down' to a
> particular folder, you wouldn't really want all the other folders to
> remain open.
>
> So the suggestion was that if you double click within a defined period
> of time, it would re-use the same window, but if it were OUTSIDE of
> this time, it would open a new window.
>
> This means that if you quickly double-clicked on folders as you
> drilled down, it would remain in the same window, but as soon as you
> stopped (for say 1 sec) and then double-clicked you would now get a
> new window.
>
> It very unlikely but is there any way to do this??
>
> Jon

Not that I'm aware of. I'm not aware of anything but that's one tweak I've
never seen done with Explorer. You may find an alternate shell or a shell
enhancement that does the trick but I haven't seen even System Commander do
that. It's an interesting concept. Suggest it to them as a feature you want
to see in Longhorn...

http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 12:22:14 PM

I have my explorer set to open new folder in the same window, but if I want
the folder to open in a new window I just rightclick and select
"Explore".... very quick and easy.

I also have single click to open so my mouse will last twice as long ;)

Andy