PSU good enough for 7850?

synyst3r1

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
I have the cooler master extreme power plus 500w, but idk if that will work and it is pretty loud! If my cooler master psu will work fine I will probably keep it even though it is a terrible psu. Is it normal for the fan to be pretty loud? It doesn't buzz or sound like it's rubbing it is just a loud fan noise even when I'm just browsing the internet. I will buy a better power supply and return that one if the fan being loud isn't normal and if it won't work for the 7850. I believe it is rated at around 430 watts and I'm running an A-6 3650 apu so my system doesn't need much power, but I'm still not sure if it will work alright.

Solution
That should be plenty of power for the 7850, When they recommend like a 430 watt or better PSU, They have already taken into account the other hardware running off the power supply. As far as the fan noise, My wife's computer case is a cooler master with cooler master fans and it sounds like a jet taking off. I believe that is just a cooler master drawback but they are releasing better and quieter fans soon that I seen on CES videos.

Truckinupga

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012
That should be plenty of power for the 7850, When they recommend like a 430 watt or better PSU, They have already taken into account the other hardware running off the power supply. As far as the fan noise, My wife's computer case is a cooler master with cooler master fans and it sounds like a jet taking off. I believe that is just a cooler master drawback but they are releasing better and quieter fans soon that I seen on CES videos.

Solution

synyst3r1

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012

I didn't think I would be able to, but I was able to squeeze in a Corsair cx600 psu without going over budget. I found another 7850 that was about $20 cheaper so it left room for a psu. I am just gonna return the cooler master psu. Hopefully the cx600 is quieter and I am getting more watts with it so I feel safer. Thanks for the reply though!

synyst3r1

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012

Yeah I didn't realize how terrible it was until after I bought it. It was kind of an impulse buy because of how cheap it was and the ratings were actually good on amazon. I did more research after I got it because it was very loud and realized how bad it really was. It's early enough to return it though so I'm gonna be sending it back sometime Saturday.

Truckinupga

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012

Great decision on the Corsair PSU, Its always best to have the extra headroom and Corsair is a great product. Also congrats on finding a lower priced 7850. Thank you for marking me down for best answer and enjoy you upgrades. :D