Sudden problems between with the monitor

Amtrix

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
Hello everyone,
since it's my first post here, I hope that I'm not violating any community rules - a strange situation with my computer brought me here. :)
To my problem: yesterday when I rebooted my system to get from linux to windows, my system started suddenly having problems with sending signals to the monitor. First thought in my case: "that's it, my graphic card is done".
I opened my computer to check if anything strange can be seen by the eye. As always: everything seemed clear.
Since I had an hdd which gave up it's life (probably because of it's 10 years of life), I removed the connections to it, to be sure that it isn't causing some weird problems (was more like an action in desperation I guess).

The more important things now: everything works fine on my computer + the monitor (tried to connect it with my laptop) - I can hear the startup sound of the OS. I "googled" alot with my laptop and tried to find any related cases: This was mostly without success, but I've found that someone had strange problems with cold booting.
In desperation, I turned the system off for a couple of minutes. After I turned it on again, it worked.

I thought, that it was just some kind of small problems and that it wouldn't happen again. It worked today in the morning, like usual. But after I came back from the university and tried to turn it on again, same thing happened - the warm boot doesn't just work anymore :D. It seems now that it's going to be hard to turn it on again. Has anyone any ideas about what could be wrong ? Experiences similar cases ?

Except for my old hdd, the other components are fairly new:
Graphic Card: Geforce 9800GT, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.3 Ghz (I guess), 4gb RAM, some ASUS Motherboard. Sorry for the unspecific configurations. I don't have the specifics in my hear nor anywhere written.
I don't have much detailed knowledge about all the components in my computer. And I apologize too for any mistakes in my English - it's not my native language.

Thanks for any replies.

EDIT: just saw the mistake in the topic name: sorry. I don't seem able to change it through the edit. Some kind of permission blocks.

I am not that sure but thought id give it a go since the thread is about to go off the 1st page unanswered.
It could be the power supply is giving up or the graphics card itself. Is the fan spinning still on the graphics card? Also check everything is connected properly and not loose if moving it made a difference.

Amtrix

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012

Thanks for the reply. I do think too that some part in my computer is done for. For me it just seems, that every part could be suspicious. I would buy the same part new, but I don't know which - and trying would be obviously too expensive :D.
Besides that, all the fans are working fine and everything is tight in their seats. For me it just seems that it is some very weird boot problem. I didn't had any problems during the work on the pc. And yeah, I should've looked for the motherboard name inside. In case it helps: Gigabyte GA EP43-S3l ( http://download1.gigabyte.ru/manual/motherboard_manual_ga-ep43-%28d%29s3l%28r%29_e.pdf). Got it totally wrong with ASUS - shame on me :D.

As for the day when the problems began. I haven't done anything weird on it. I was just (a bit intensive) testing the multi-threading capabilities of my cpu.