Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Did I get the right size psu for the video card I want?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 16, 2012 7:06:20 PM

Hey guys. Was wanting to know if I bought the right thing today. I did several psu calculators and got mixed results. So I settled for this psu.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
And I dont have it yet but I am planning on ordering this video card next week
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
My specs as of right now are as follows

So am I good to go for when I want to order that? Or any other advice on a better card for a decent price? $130 is as high as ill go.
Thanks in advanced! :D 

More about : size psu video card

Best solution

a c 226 U Graphics card
July 16, 2012 7:59:20 PM

Underwhelming, but the chosen PSU should work.

However, looking at your Speccy summary, your system is running a little warm. What, if anything, are you overclocking? Also, are the temps shown at idle or under load?

If I were you, I would look at a stronger PSU for future growth. I recommend Seasonic PSUs, but Corsairs are solid as well. I prefer to use 650w PSUs to maintain max flexibility on GPU and system needs (more if you want to consider CF or SLI later).
Related resources
July 16, 2012 8:16:17 PM

COLGeek said:
Underwhelming, but the chosen PSU should work.

However, looking at your Speccy summary, your system is running a little warm. What, if anything, are you overclocking? Also, are the temps shown at idle or under load?

If I were you, I would look at a stronger PSU for future growth. I recommend Seasonic PSUs, but Corsairs are solid as well. I prefer to use 650w PSUs to maintain max flexibility on GPU and system needs (more if you want to consider CF or SLI later).

Im not overclocking anything. The case I have is just cramped in a way with only a heatink and a rear fan. I'm going to invest in a quality heatsink and rear fan soon, also might try and separate the hard drives a little. Those temps are after its been idle all day.
But I hope your right about the psu and it sufficing for now. This computer is a LGA775 and I just want to make it nice then possibly sell it so I can buy a socket 1155 rig or something a little newer.
m
l
July 16, 2012 8:18:05 PM

mouse24 said:
For a video card I would grab this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Its a bit faster, uses less energy and produces less heat. Oh and newer tech.

That looks really nice, and seems like a better option. But it says its pci-e 3.0. This motherboard I have doesnt even say it has pci-e 2.0, but I asked on here and they said 2.0 would work as long as the card i get doesnt pull more from the mobo than it can supply. So would it also be true for a 3.0? Otherwise I would for sure get that card.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 16, 2012 8:23:00 PM

Chase_B said:
That looks really nice, and seems like a better option. But it says its pci-e 3.0. This motherboard I have doesnt even say it has pci-e 2.0, but I asked on here and they said 2.0 would work as long as the card i get doesnt pull more from the mobo than it can supply. So would it also be true for a 3.0? Otherwise I would for sure get that card.

PCI-E is almost fully backwards compatible. the only time you would see an issue is with using a 1.0 slot with a 2.1 card. and thats rare, it depends if the mobo manufacturer updated there bios.

But as far as I know 1.0/1.1 to 3.0 isn't an issue.
m
l
July 16, 2012 8:35:58 PM

mouse24 said:
PCI-E is almost fully backwards compatible. the only time you would see an issue is with using a 1.0 slot with a 2.1 card. and thats rare, it depends if the mobo manufacturer updated there bios.

But as far as I know 1.0/1.1 to 3.0 isn't an issue.

Awesome! Thanks man. I'm going to google around at some other cards then. But as far as your concerned, that's a great card that you showed me?
m
l
July 16, 2012 8:41:23 PM

Best answer selected by Chase_B.
m
l
July 16, 2012 8:45:18 PM

It says minimum of a 450 watt power supply....
So will I be sending back the 380 I just ordered if I want that card?
Might be a dumb question but you said it uses less power, and the previous poster said the psu should work. I'm thinking, why wouldn't it? Haha
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 16, 2012 8:49:35 PM

380w? which one is it? if its the one linked in your opening post then that one is sufficient. The card uses a max of 86w as stated here: http://www.guru3d.com/article/amd-radeon-hd-7750-and-77...

:D  the psu requirements are set so high to compensate for extremely crap power supplies (like the 20 dollar logysis ones).

They also state there whole system was only using 230~ watts with an overclocked i7 965 @ 3.7ghz
m
l
July 16, 2012 8:52:50 PM

Yes its the one in the OP, and its rated at the above 80% efficiency. Also I was about to get a cheap 12$ 500 watt refurb diablotek but did some reading and decided a better quality lower wattage one was a better option.
Well I have a lot of reading to do on this card, but you may of just got me to buy this card instead :D 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 16, 2012 8:58:28 PM

ahah, nice save there. I have had old/bad/cheap power supplies explode on me before.

m
l
July 16, 2012 9:02:23 PM

mouse24 said:
ahah, nice save there. I have had old/bad/cheap power supplies explode on me before.

:non:  I don't need any explosions here.
Thanks for your guidance!
m
l
!