Sign in with
Your question

Some Crossfire/Eyefinity Questions

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 16, 2012 7:46:11 PM

Hi forums!, I currently own a HD 5870, running perfectly. My buddy just upgraded his rig to a new card and gave me his old HD 5870 Eyefinity6 card. I read on AMD's forum that I can crossfire these, however my question is that does it matter which card I attach my monitors to? I plan on running on a 8x/8x board. Also I know these are old cards but any expectation on fps gain? (I figure a free upgrade, why not).
a b U Graphics card
July 16, 2012 9:21:47 PM

You will need to connect all your monitors to your primary gpu when in crossfire, this is usually, but not always, the slot closest to your cpu. Check you mobos' documentation to confirm. Also check your psu is powerful enough to run everything. Good luck.
m
l
July 17, 2012 4:33:59 AM

Would it make a performance difference if I connected the Eyefinity6 card to the closest slot or not? Since the reference hd 5870 is only 1gb of Ram does that limit the 2gb of the eyefinity6 card? Is it really gonna be beneficial to crossfire these cards? Thanks for the help.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2012 5:25:03 AM

I would suggest you put the eyefinity6 card in the closest slot since it most likely will be the primary GPU slot. Sadly, since you have a 1gb vram card the 2gb card is going to clock down to 1gb vram for you.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2012 9:51:23 AM

ohyouknow said:
I would suggest you put the eyefinity6 card in the closest slot since it most likely will be the primary GPU slot. Sadly, since you have a 1gb vram card the 2gb card is going to clock down to 1gb vram for you.

+1
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2012 1:42:10 PM

You will definitely get a benefit from Crossfiring. The 5870's were good cards, 2 of them in crossfire will have as much power as a modern single card, the only limiting factor is going to be having only 1 gig of Vram.
m
l
!