Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Whats is the optimal temperature for HDD

Last response: in Components
January 18, 2013 1:25:40 PM

The temp should be 25 to 40 degrees C anything more is bad.
January 18, 2013 1:37:19 PM

vishalaestro said:
i have decided to put a hard drive cooler for my HDD but i want to know which is the good temp for a HDD

If your hard drive is too hot, you have a bad case, and that is where you would better allocate your funds.
Hard drive coolers are mostly marketing.
Related resources
January 18, 2013 1:44:28 PM

geofelt said:
If your hard drive is too hot, you have a bad case, and that is where you would better allocate your funds.
Hard drive coolers are mostly marketing.

my HDD temps are currently 41c should i need a add a front intake to cool the HDD?
January 18, 2013 1:50:14 PM

vishalaestro said:
my HDD temps are currently 41c should i need a add a front intake to cool the HDD?

41c. does not alarm me.

If your case has two 120mm exhaust fans or intake fans, then you should have adequate airflow.

One way to test for case cooling is to remove all of the side panels and direct a house fan at the innards. If your temperatures drop significantly, then you may have a case cooling issue.
January 18, 2013 2:14:45 PM

i don't have 120mm fans at all my case has 1x80mm exhaust and 1x80mm intake .i still have a 120mm front intake left
January 18, 2013 2:17:32 PM

41 degrees C is not bad for summer.
January 18, 2013 3:12:40 PM

Xttony said:
41 degrees C is not bad for summer.

i'm in india and it's winter here the room temp is 25c

Best solution

January 18, 2013 3:35:55 PM

Hard disks should have direct airflow over them in my opinion. A fan should be near them to keep their temps in check. The lower the temps, the longer they last. 41C is warm for an idle temp. Get it loaded, moving some files and see what the temp goes to.
January 18, 2013 3:45:08 PM

maestro0428 said:
Hard disks should have direct airflow over them in my opinion. A fan should be near them to keep their temps in check. The lower the temps, the longer they last. 41C is warm for an idle temp. Get it loaded, moving some files and see what the temp goes to.

i copied a 10gb file from d to e disk the temp was only 43
January 18, 2013 10:08:09 PM

vishalaestro said:
i'm in india and it's winter here the room temp is 25c

Then you need a cooler. In summer the temperature are very high(at least in my area reaches about 46 degrees), so you cannot expect the hard drive temperatures to be any lower than that.
The max temperatures I ever got was 54 degrees c in summer. I never installed a cooler and neither did the hard drive caused any issues.
You need to air flowing in your cabinet like maestro said. You need to have a fan placed on the front of the case which directly flows air to the hdd. Any warm air stagnation can increase your temperatures dramatically.
January 19, 2013 1:13:01 PM

Best answer selected by vishalaestro.
January 19, 2013 1:13:15 PM

Xttony said:
Then you need a cooler. In summer the temperature are very high(at least in my area reaches about 46 degrees), so you cannot expect the hard drive temperatures to be any lower than that.
The max temperatures I ever got was 54 degrees c in summer. I never installed a cooler and neither did the hard drive caused any issues.
You need to air flowing in your cabinet like maestro said. You need to have a fan placed on the front of the case which directly flows air to the hdd. Any warm air stagnation can increase your temperatures dramatically.

thank u
!