Sign in with
Your question

Best routers (wired/wireless) for gaming

Last response: in Networking
September 6, 2011 12:04:17 AM

Hello, I have been doing research on routers since im going to get rid of my dinosaur of a router and replace it with a new one. I have an xbox 360 and a ps3 which we sometimes use simultaneously, 1 main computer and 2 laptops. the computers r relatively unused but i need a router to support both gaming systems simultaneously. ive read wireless routers are good but ive also read wired are hands down better. If anyone could recomend some exact models for me id be extremely thankful
September 6, 2011 12:07:51 AM

chris3220322 said:
Hello, I have been doing research on routers since im going to get rid of my dinosaur of a router and replace it with a new one. I have an xbox 360 and a ps3 which we sometimes use simultaneously, 1 main computer and 2 laptops. the computers r relatively unused but i need a router to support both gaming systems simultaneously. ive read wireless routers are good but ive also read wired are hands down better. If anyone could recomend some exact models for me id be extremely thankful

oh and id also like to mention that if possible id like to spend under $150
m
l
September 6, 2011 12:55:11 PM

Any wireless router that can do the three main bands (A/B/G) will work (you'll most likely be using G).
As far as "ive read wireless routers are good but ive also read wired are hands down better"
Wireless and wired routers are exactly the same, the difference would be one you would have to hard wire your PS3 and Xbox 360 directly to the router (Wired), the other you would have the choice to either hard wire the game systems, or use wireless.
And hard wired in would be the best signal. But if you use your laptop's wireless in your home then a wireless router is your only choice.

I have both systems as well, The router i have is wireless. I use the wireless for my laptop and phone and things like that. I could use it for the game systems if i chose to. But for the best signal i ran an ethernat cable (CAT5) across the house, which i know isn't an option for some people. Since the PS3 and 360 sit right next to each other i just switch the cord back and forth. In your case using both at the same time you would need two cords, or use the PS3 built in wireless, and get a gaming adapter for the 360 and go wireless.

The only problem you have is no matter which way you look at it unless you have a very high speed connection (i would say minimum 30MB down and 5mb up), using more than one thing on the internet at a time will slow down each one. And even with the high speed connection you could get some lag in intense games like say Battlefield or COD where there is a ton of things going on.
m
l
!