Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrade Help: $500-$700 Gaming/Graphics PC: CPU, MB, G-Card

Last response: in Systems
September 3, 2012 10:40:28 PM

Hello All,

Fast-Forward to the community list below my cries:

So I built this comp back in 2008 and have changed maybe the RAM sticks and the video card once (one old graphics card for another). However, I'm now ready to invest a little bit more than 75$ in changing over the main components.

I would like to change over the processor, motherboard and graphics card... probably the RAM later on, but those main three.

Here's what I'm currently working with:

Processor: 2.40 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core

Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M2R32-MVP

Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4770

I would like a quad-core CPU if it's cost-efficient, and a reasonable graphics update so I can max out as much as I can on todays games. I do a lot of graphics school work also, OpenGL and such. Are there any reasonable suggestions/upgrades that keep my total cost under 600-700?

Approximate Purchase Date: Today or tomorrow if possible (unless there are good reasons to wait)

Budget Range: 500-700 Before Rebates and/or Shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important:Games (yes, like Crysis, mostly MMO's and OpenGL projects and Graphic Schhoolworn, think Autodesk suites.)

Are you buying a monitor: Nope

Parts to Upgrade:
CPU: 2.40 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core
MB: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M2R32-MVP
G-card: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M2R32-MVP
current power supply (wasn't planning on upgrading this): Rosewill RP550S-2MK 550W ATX 12V

Do you need to buy OS: Nope

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg...

Parts Preferences: Whatever's the best upgrade path. I would like to move to a quad-core. Best bang for my buck and G-card Combo.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe, however money isn't like water and may be a single card

Your Monitor Resolution:1920x1080, 1920x1200

Additional Comments: I already have a full ATX tower, see here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168..., and RAM may be suggested as It seems I may need to change that also but I am open to all suggestions. And if they're suggestions to cases also, I'd love to hear, but again, looking to keep costs down and get the best components.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I bought most of these components in 2006 and I am ready to upgrade a bit.

Best solution

September 5, 2012 7:29:27 PM

poken1151 said:
Hello All,

Fast-Forward to the community list below my cries:

So I built this comp back in 2008 and have changed maybe the RAM sticks and the video card once (one old graphics card for another). However, I'm now ready to invest a little bit more than 75$ in changing over the main components.

I would like to change over the processor, motherboard and graphics card... probably the RAM later on, but those main three.

Here's what I'm currently working with:

Processor: 2.40 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core

Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M2R32-MVP

Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4770

I would like a quad-core CPU if it's cost-efficient, and a reasonable graphics update so I can max out as much as I can on todays games. I do a lot of graphics school work also, OpenGL and such. Are there any reasonable suggestions/upgrades that keep my total cost under 600-700?

Approximate Purchase Date: Today or tomorrow if possible (unless there are good reasons to wait)

Budget Range: 500-700 Before Rebates and/or Shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important:Games (yes, like Crysis, mostly MMO's and OpenGL projects and Graphic Schhoolworn, think Autodesk suites.)

Are you buying a monitor: Nope

Parts to Upgrade:
CPU: 2.40 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core
MB: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M2R32-MVP
G-card: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M2R32-MVP
current power supply (wasn't planning on upgrading this): Rosewill RP550S-2MK 550W ATX 12V

Do you need to buy OS: Nope

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg...

Parts Preferences: Whatever's the best upgrade path. I would like to move to a quad-core. Best bang for my buck and G-card Combo.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe, however money isn't like water and may be a single card

Your Monitor Resolution:1920x1080, 1920x1200

Additional Comments: I already have a full ATX tower, see here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168..., and RAM may be suggested as It seems I may need to change that also but I am open to all suggestions. And if they're suggestions to cases also, I'd love to hear, but again, looking to keep costs down and get the best components.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I bought most of these components in 2006 and I am ready to upgrade a bit.

Something like this would suit:

CPU: Intel i5-3570K 229.99 @ Newegg
Cooler: Corsair Hyper 212 EVO 34.99 @ Newegg
Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 114.99 @ Newegg
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz cas9 44.99 @ Newegg
GPU: XFX Radeon HD 7870 DDR5 224.99 @ NCIX

TOTAL: 629.95

You could save slightly, with less powerful GPU eg Sapphire Radeon HD7850 @ 189.99
September 16, 2012 12:49:25 AM

Thanks for the reply. The parts-list is an awesome set, I wish I had been able to wait to see it. I was running out of time and had bought some (admittedly over-priced and excessive) components. I think I ended up about $200 over. However, it all works and are all similar to what's listed here. Thanks for the time and effort!
m
l
Related resources
!