Sign in with
Your question

Need 2 6+2 pin PCI-e for PSU, Or buy new PSU for SLI

Last response: in Components
January 18, 2013 4:25:26 PM

Hi,

I have a powercool 650w modular PSU, And I want to go SLI with a second GTX 560 ti (twin Frozr) only problem is the PSU came with only 2 6+2 pin and for SLI I'm going to need 2 more. Where do I find 2 more 6pin pci-e cables from ? and no not extensions and I don't want to go molex considering the psu has 4 6pin slots. Second question is I doubt this power supply is sufficient enough to power what I want, seen as its quite cheap and only supplies 2 6 pin's (for single powered SLI)

Any ideas on the first question or with regards to the second question should I get a new power supply? I have calculated the power output of the psu - 2 12V rails at 22A and its 80% efficient, so its only around outputting around 420Watts. Not really enough right?

Hope someone can answer/help!

Cheers

More about : pin pci psu buy psu sli

a b ) Power supply
January 18, 2013 5:17:05 PM

Just to be clear, the PSU has 4 PCIe sockets, but only came with two cables?
Google images was a bit rubbish but is this accurate? http://images.overclock.co.uk/product_images/large/PC10...
If that's correct you should find a lot of retailers will sell you modular cables, but it's very strange the PSU didn't come with them. Normally I'd say buy the ones from the same manufacturer, but I can't see any.

80Plus efficiency relates to how well the PSU uses its energy rather than how accurate it is to the performance figures it claims. Having said that, your theoretical figure is 528W for 12V, which is probably cutting it a bit close even if the PSU is perfect. It really depends on the rest of your system but frankly I wouldn't risk it. A good 650-700W+ PSU is probably for the best.
Something like the XFX PRO650 has a single 12V rail of 53A which is a lot healthier.
January 18, 2013 5:35:38 PM

Rammy said:
Just to be clear, the PSU has 4 PCIe sockets, but only came with two cables?
Google images was a bit rubbish but is this accurate? http://images.overclock.co.uk/product_images/large/PC10...
If that's correct you should find a lot of retailers will sell you modular cables, but it's very strange the PSU didn't come with them. Normally I'd say buy the ones from the same manufacturer, but I can't see any.

80Plus efficiency relates to how well the PSU uses its energy rather than how accurate it is to the performance figures it claims. Having said that, your theoretical figure is 528W for 12V, which is probably cutting it a bit close even if the PSU is perfect. It really depends on the rest of your system but frankly I wouldn't risk it. A good 650-700W+ PSU is probably for the best.
Something like the XFX PRO650 has a single 12V rail of 53A which is a lot healthier.

Yes that is the 1. Its not a great power supply, I was low on money when I built my rig 2 years ago, (so its 2 years old) since then I have upgraded, almost an entire system, but never upgraded power supply. You are right with 528 at its maximum. I cannot find the cables anywhere, as you mentioned, so its safe to say If I want to go SLI I will need a new one. Thanks for answering :)  Confirms really its not cable of medium/high end SLI.

As for the brand Powercool, Do you know if they are rated any good? Not wanting to spend a fortune on a new PSU just for SLI they have a new model (X-Viper) which does supply (4) 6+2 PCI-e at 750W.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
January 18, 2013 5:55:10 PM

Yeah. I actually think my girlfriend has the same PSU (the one you own). All the search results I get for Powercool are on UK sites (guessing you are from the UK too) so I guess it's just a brand that's used across here. Problem is it makes it hard to find accurate data.
If this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Powercool-X-Viper-Modular-Bronz...
is the PSU you are talking about, it looks like it only has two PCIe connectors on the box (though on another site it says 4 cables). Personally I wouldn't risk it.
If you are trying to keep costs down and find a modular PSU, then you will struggle I think. Having said that, Corsair have recently launched an "M" series of their budgety CX series which are pretty good. CX750M for example will have more than enough juice and quality, though finding one in the same price range might be tricky.
If you are flexible on the cables, my suggestion with PSUs on a budget is always XFX Core/Antec HCG, made by Seasonic, sold a fair bit cheaper than Seasonic.
January 18, 2013 6:06:57 PM

Rammy said:
Yeah. I actually think my girlfriend has the same PSU (the one you own). All the search results I get for Powercool are on UK sites (guessing you are from the UK too) so I guess it's just a brand that's used across here. Problem is it makes it hard to find accurate data.
If this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Powercool-X-Viper-Modular-Bronz...
is the PSU you are talking about, it looks like it only has two PCIe connectors on the box (though on another site it says 4 cables). Personally I wouldn't risk it.
If you are trying to keep costs down and find a modular PSU, then you will struggle I think. Having said that, Corsair have recently launched an "M" series of their budgety CX series which are pretty good. CX750M for example will have more than enough juice and quality, though finding one in the same price range might be tricky.
If you are flexible on the cables, my suggestion with PSUs on a budget is always XFX Core/Antec HCG, made by Seasonic, sold a fair bit cheaper than Seasonic.

Okay thanks for your advice. I will look around and do some research etc. I could always just stick with my single gpu, which works fine, although I always want extra performance :) 
!