color correction for scanning with nikon coolscan V

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
September 17, 2005 3:04:10 PM

I just purchased a Nikon Coolscan V ED scanner to digigtize my
collection of film images. Does anyone out there who is currently
using this scanner have any advice for getting consistent and accurate
color from this machine? How do you make the scan look like the chrome
on the light table? Any advice would be helpful!!!!
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 4:20:44 AM

In article <1126980250.560734.184010@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
taylor@trgphoto.com wrote:

> I just purchased a Nikon Coolscan V ED scanner to digigtize my
> collection of film images. Does anyone out there who is currently
> using this scanner have any advice for getting consistent and accurate
> color from this machine? How do you make the scan look like the chrome
> on the light table? Any advice would be helpful!!!!

Hi,

I might be able to help a bit. What operating system are you using?

--

Photographs by Christian Bonanno
http://home.nc.rr.com/christianbonanno/

i am on Mac OSX and I use photoshop
Related resources
September 20, 2005 5:59:23 AM

taylor@trgphoto.com wrote:

> I just purchased a Nikon Coolscan V ED scanner to digigtize my
> collection of film images. Does anyone out there who is currently
> using this scanner have any advice for getting consistent and accurate
> color from this machine? How do you make the scan look like the chrome
> on the light table? Any advice would be helpful!!!!

You might check out vuescan?

http://www.hamrick.com/

They have a demo you can try and see if it works for you. I'm not personally
using it but some people swear by it. The latest nikon software seems to
work OK with my LS8000
--

Stacey
Anonymous

In article <1127100989.745930.306230@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
taylor@trgphoto.com wrote:

> I just purchased a Nikon Coolscan V ED scanner to digigtize my
> collection of film images. Does anyone out there who is currently
> using this scanner have any advice for getting consistent and accurate
> color from this machine? How do you make the scan look like the chrome
> on the light table? Any advice would be helpful!!!!
> i am on Mac OSX and I use photoshop

Perfect. Macs, gotta love 'em.

From what I understand the best color space to use with Photoshop is
AdobeRGB(1998). Do you know how to set that in Photoshop?

Next,

There should be an application in your utilities folder called
"ColorSync Utility". It is your friend. Open it and look at it for a
bit.

Before I ramble on I want to ask you how much you know about ColorSync.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/colorsync/

Watch this too:
http://www.apple.com/pro/training/colorsync/

Peace.