Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Help with build! Purchasing today!

Last response: in Systems
Share
September 4, 2012 12:00:52 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: Hopefully today!


Budget Range: 1,000-1,100 before rebates.


System Usage from Most to Least Important: Graphics Design, Business, Gaming, General computer use.


Are you buying a monitor: Yes, sadly.


Parts to Upgrade: Everything, New build.


Do you need to buy OS: Yes


Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com, anywhere where there is the best deal honestly.


Location: Texas, Tarrant county area.


Parts Preferences: Intel, Nvidia (You guy's are the experts so I'll let you decide.)


Overclocking: Maybe


SLI or Crossfire: Maybe


Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 preferably


Additional Comments: Don't care for bling, would like a quiet, cool running powerful and efficient system.


And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I'm trying to find myself a hobby by rekindling an old interest. My only fear is I won't be able to stay interested in gaming, as of lately I find myself only being able to play on my Xbox for 30 minute intervals before I get too bored.


Need help getting my price down a bit. Here's what I've got so far.


Case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


HDD:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


SSD:



CPU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...


GPU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...


Motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Ram:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


PSU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Monitor:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

DVD Drive:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Subtotal: $1,202.90


I need to knock off some money from the subtotal! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Need help refining my build.

More about : build purchasing today

September 4, 2012 12:16:30 AM

Links are broken.

Try this...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($32.30 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($41.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($317.86 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($84.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.98 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: Acer G215HVAbd 21.5" Monitor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1106.55
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-03 20:16 EDT-0400)

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask.
m
0
l
September 4, 2012 12:24:26 AM

Thanks, but that's not really what im looking for... I fixed my links so you can get a base of my needs. But that seems a little too low end.
m
0
l
Related resources
September 4, 2012 12:46:04 AM

The i5 2500k is virtually the same thing as the 3570k. The hd 7950 is also more powerful than the gtx 660 ti...especially once it's overclocked. Once it's overclocked it reaches speeds of the gtx 670. The gtx 660 ti is heavily bottle-necked by it's 192 bit memory bus.

My build actually outperforms your build by quite a bit. Also, at your price point, I wouldn't bother with a SSD just yet. Just get a 7200rpm conventional HDD for now. Dump the rest of your cash into your CPU and GPU. You can always upgrade in the future when you acquire the cash.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/08/23/galaxy_gtx_66... <==== Benchmarks comparing the 660 Ti, 670, and the 7950
m
0
l
September 4, 2012 12:57:48 AM

Again, I appreciate your advice but I'll wait for another reply. I'm sticking with the Ivy Bridge 3570k and I don't really want to spend that much on an amd graphics card. Gaming isn't my main interest. So, the "bottlenecking" doesn't bother me, and I wouldn't wanna "dump" the rest of my cash into a cpu / gpu.
m
0
l

Best solution

September 4, 2012 1:05:26 AM

interlaced said:
Approximate Purchase Date: Hopefully today!


Budget Range: 1,000-1,100 before rebates.


System Usage from Most to Least Important: Graphics Design, Business, Gaming, General computer use.


Are you buying a monitor: Yes, sadly.


Parts to Upgrade: Everything, New build.


Do you need to buy OS: Yes


Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com, anywhere where there is the best deal honestly.


Location: Texas, Tarrant county area.


Parts Preferences: Intel, Nvidia (You guy's are the experts so I'll let you decide.)


Overclocking: Maybe


SLI or Crossfire: Maybe


Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 preferably


Additional Comments: Don't care for bling, would like a quiet, cool running powerful and efficient system.


And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I'm trying to find myself a hobby by rekindling an old interest. My only fear is I won't be able to stay interested in gaming, as of lately I find myself only being able to play on my Xbox for 30 minute intervals before I get too bored.


Need help getting my price down a bit. Here's what I've got so far.


Case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


HDD:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


SSD:



CPU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...


GPU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...


Motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Ram:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


PSU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Monitor:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

DVD Drive:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Subtotal: $1,202.90


I need to knock off some money from the subtotal! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Need help refining my build.



You need to change the RAM. That memory is only suitable for i7 intel processors. You are going for an i5.

Here is a build I put together for you to check out.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($32.30 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M4 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($68.95 @ B&H)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($307.55 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec Nine Hundred ATX Mid Tower Case ($96.39 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1145.12
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-03 21:02 EDT-0400)


You can change the power supply if you want, because it is a good bit more than you need. I just put it in there for some good headroom. Just don't get a $30 power supply. You could end up frying half of your machine before you get to use it. Get one at least higher than $70-$80. Check out reviews to make sure they are good quality. Seasonic, Corsair, Antec; those are good PSU making brands.
Share
September 4, 2012 1:08:33 AM

The AMD GPU I recommended actually outperforms the GTX 6xx series in compute work. Besides, you're not gonna get much better on your budget considering you have to purchase an OS and monitor.
m
0
l
September 4, 2012 1:14:43 AM

Here's a build with monitor and OS, tried to get it a little cheaper.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($32.30 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($307.55 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake VM30001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case ($35.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($83.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer G235HAbd 23.0" Monitor ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1134.74
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-03 21:22 EDT-0400)

If you tell me you're not going to overclock, I can knock off a little more.
m
0
l
September 4, 2012 1:30:45 AM

If you don't overclock, you can pull off this build within your budget for everything.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($38.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($307.55 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake VM30001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case ($35.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($83.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer G235HAbd 23.0" Monitor ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1086.44
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-03 21:29 EDT-0400)


You won't have the unlocked 3570 for overclocking, so you won't need the aftermarket CPU cooler either. This fits your budget, but doesn't allow easy overclocking like the 3570K. So, it's up to you dude! :p 
m
0
l
September 4, 2012 1:39:05 AM

DeusAres said:
The i5 2500k is virtually the same thing as the 3570k. The hd 7950 is also more powerful than the gtx 660 ti...especially once it's overclocked. Once it's overclocked it reaches speeds of the gtx 670. The gtx 660 ti is heavily bottle-necked by it's 192 bit memory bus.

My build actually outperforms your build by quite a bit. Also, at your price point, I wouldn't bother with a SSD just yet. Just get a 7200rpm conventional HDD for now. Dump the rest of your cash into your CPU and GPU. You can always upgrade in the future when you acquire the cash.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/08/23/galaxy_gtx_66... <==== Benchmarks comparing the 660 Ti, 670, and the 7950



That's an interesting benchmark. I hope you know that the Galaxy 660 Ti doesn't perform as well as the MSI PE though.
m
0
l
September 4, 2012 1:46:05 AM

Would you not recommend getting a SSD? Are they not too great of a performance boost anyways?
m
0
l
September 4, 2012 1:47:52 AM

Nanekud said:
That's an interesting benchmark. I hope you know that the Galaxy 660 Ti doesn't perform as well as the MSI PE though.


I hope you know that the XFX HD 7950 doesn't perform as well as other non reference versions.

Yeah bud, the HD 7950 wasn't even pushed to it's limit in those benchmarks. Not to mention, the GTX 660 Ti is greatly hindered by its 192 bit bus interface. The HD 7950 is far more stable as well as better for compute work.
m
0
l
September 4, 2012 1:49:13 AM

DeusAres said:
I hope you know that the XFX HD 7950 doesn't perform as well as other non reference versions.

Yeah bud, the HD 7950 wasn't even pushed to it's limit in those benchmarks. Not to mention, the GTX 660 Ti is greatly hindered by its 192 bit bus interface. The HD 7950 is far more stable as well as better for compute work.



Oh man, I heard the Double D was awesome!
m
0
l
September 4, 2012 1:53:30 AM

lol, there's better options.

Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, Sapphire Vapor X...just to name a few...
m
0
l
September 4, 2012 1:55:38 AM

azeem40 said:
In BF3, it is only 4 fps behind the XFX 7950.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/08/23/galaxy_gtx_66...


Precisely, and the Nvidia cards are supposed to be optimized for BF3...yet the AMD card outperforms it.

Wouldn't the HD 7950 be the better option for the OP's needs? It excels in GPGPU tasks more so than the 660 Ti.
m
0
l
September 4, 2012 1:56:32 AM

Or not... Thanks for all the help Nanekud. I have me a build at 1147 with a SSD included.

@DeusAres

Look at the price difference. 660 ti seems more efficient and more bang for your buck in my opinion.

"Precisely, and the Nvidia cards are supposed to be optimized for BF3...yet the AMD card outperforms it.

Wouldn't the HD 7950 be the better option for the OP's needs? It excels in GPGPU tasks more so than the 660 Ti"
m
0
l
September 4, 2012 1:59:55 AM

DeusAres said:
Precisely, and the Nvidia cards are supposed to be optimized for BF3...yet the AMD card outperforms it.

Wouldn't the HD 7950 be the better option for the OP's needs? It excels in GPGPU tasks more so than the 660 Ti.

Yes it would still be better, was just pointing that out. :) 
m
0
l
September 4, 2012 2:00:33 AM

interlaced said:
Or not... Thanks for all the help Nanekud. I have me a build at 1147 with a SSD included.

@DeusAres

Look at the price difference. 660 ti seems more efficient and more bang for your buck in my opinion.

"Precisely, and the Nvidia cards are supposed to be optimized for BF3...yet the AMD card outperforms it.

Wouldn't the HD 7950 be the better option for the OP's needs? It excels in GPGPU tasks more so than the 660 Ti"



No problem my friend. Have fun with your new toy. :hello: 
m
0
l
September 4, 2012 2:02:45 AM

Best answer selected by interlaced.
m
0
l
September 4, 2012 2:03:11 AM

Sometimes I wonder why people ask for advice if they aren't going to consider it...

I presented benchmarks and plenty of extra info; the HD 7950 outperforms the 660 Ti in every way.

There's a $20-30 price difference...not that big of a deal. For $30 extra, you could potentially have yourself a HD 7950 which performs the same as a GTX 670 and excels in GPGPU work.
m
0
l
September 4, 2012 2:07:27 AM

I sometimes wonder that too. After looking at the benchmarks you posted, I don't regret getting the 7950, but I do regret not waiting for the price drop to $370.
m
0
l
September 4, 2012 2:11:10 AM

If you give me a second, I can come up with a better build.
m
0
l
September 4, 2012 2:14:10 AM

azeem40 said:
I sometimes wonder that too. After looking at the benchmarks you posted, I don't regret getting the 7950, but I do regret not waiting for the price drop to $370.



You can get it for $289.99 after rebate WITHHHHHHH a copy of Sleeping Dogs game included. That's a good deal.

Here it is if you wanted to see.
m
0
l
September 4, 2012 2:15:46 AM

Nanekud said:
You can get it for $289.99 after rebate WITHHHHHHH a copy of Sleeping Dogs game included. That's a good deal.

Here it is if you wanted to see.

This was back in April 5. A week later, the 7950 dropped to $370, so I wish I had waited.
m
0
l
September 4, 2012 2:16:27 AM

I think I'd rather have Borderlands 2 though.
m
0
l
September 4, 2012 2:20:15 AM

I personally have other ways of obtaining those games. I'd rather have the superior performance.

Anywho, I'm done here. Good luck with your build.
m
0
l
September 4, 2012 2:20:52 AM

azeem40 said:
This was back in April 5. A week later, the 7950 dropped to $370, so I wish I had waited.



Dang man, sorry. That's the computer world for you though. Well I'm going to sleep, you gentlemen have a good night.
m
0
l
September 4, 2012 2:28:06 AM

bctande1 said:
If you give me a second, I can come up with a better build.



I'll gladly wait. I decided to go with the 7950 unless someone else can convince me otherwise.
m
0
l
Anonymous
September 4, 2012 12:37:56 PM

interlaced said:
I'll gladly wait. I decided to go with the 7950 unless someone else can convince me otherwise.

yeah, you can overclock a 7870 to a 7950s performance for much cheaper.
m
0
l
!