Solved

Gaming PC, September Build $1500-$2000

Hi all!

Over the last month or so I have been doing casual research to finalize my build for gaming pc. The following components I am about to list are they components I feel are the most powerful, most reliable, best value and are easily available to me.
Unfortunately I live in Australia so some of the prices aren't the cheapest and I don't have any local stores to buy PC parts from so a lot of money is also spent of shipping/postage.

So this is my list:

Case: NZXT Phantom Black Full tower. (this is not part of my budget because I already own it.)

CPU: Intel i5 Ivy Bridge 3570k

PSU: Corsair HX-850w

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb 1600mhz

GPU: Gainward GTX 670 Phantom 2gb

Mobo: AsRock Extreme 4 Z77

HDD: 2 x 1tb HDD 7200rpm (this is not part of my budget because I already own it.)

SDD: Samsung 128gb SSD 830 Series

CPU Cooler: Notcua NH-U12P SE2 (this is not part of my budget because I already own it.)

ODD: any good quality blu ray player

OS: I will ghost my HDD that contains my OS onto my solid state, so this isnt part of my budget either.

This varies between 1500-1700 depending on store.

If there are any things you think should be changed please dont hesitate to mention.
I will take all feedback into consideration.
If you suggest a different choice for a certain component please include a reason why i.e. value, power, reliability.

Thank you!! greatly appreciated.
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gaming september build 1500 2000
  1. PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 612 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($119.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($419.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($109.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1171.91
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-03 20:30 EDT-0400)
  2. Best answer
    For your PSU 850W is not needed nVidia itself recommend 500W for a single 670. Add 170W for SLI & recommended is 670W.
    http://www.nvidia.in/object/geforce-gtx-670-in.html#pdpContent=2


    For testing conducted for SLI 670, the resulting system consumption for SLI is 433W of which 293W are attributed to the gpu cards.
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-670-2-and-3way-sli-review/4


    All points out to 750W being more than enough.For two 670 even.
  3. azeem40 said:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 612 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($119.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($419.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($109.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1171.91
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-03 20:30 EDT-0400)
    He already has aftermarket cpu cooler and lives in Australia bud ;)
  4. azeem40 said:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 612 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($119.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($419.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($109.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1171.91
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-03 20:30 EDT-0400)


    @azeem40

    Im not sure with some of the decisions you made, and im not sure if you used parts picker just to show a rough estimate of the price. but theres a couple of issues... firstly i newegg doesnt ship to australia so i cant get stuff that cheap so those prices are completely wrong. and some of the items chosen in parts picker is unnecessary. why did you select a CPU cooler when i already have a good quality cooler? same with the HDD, i already have two 1tb's, why the asus geforce 670 over the one i chose and why a 750w psu?

    i asked for all suggestions to be backed up with reasons why.

    thanks,
  5. bigcyco1 said:
    For your PSU 850W is not needed nVidia itself recommend 500W for a single 670. Add 170W for SLI & recommended is 670W.
    http://www.nvidia.in/object/geforce-gtx-670-in.html#pdpContent=2


    For testing conducted for SLI 670, the resulting system consumption for SLI is 433W of which 293W are attributed to the gpu cards.
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-670-2-and-3way-sli-review/4


    All points out to 750W being more than enough.For two even.


    @bigcyco1

    thank you for linking credible sources to support your suggestion, i will most likely make this change and choose a 750w corsair PSU.
  6. sk-jb93 said:
    @bigcyco1

    thank you for linking credible sources to support your suggestion, i will most likely make this change and choose a 750w corsair PSU.
    Your very welcome mate. :)
  7. azeem40 said:


    no problem, just one question...

    why the asus geforce 670 over the gainward gtx670?
  8. The Asus has more overclocking potential.
  9. Best answer selected by sk-jb93.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Gaming Systems Product