Direct X 11.1 release soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AyuX

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Is it possible a new direct x version is released with windows 8? And we have too change all our video cards? :sweat:

Solution

no is basic logic... game producing can be very costly. why would game developers make a game for a very niche part of the market. thats why its harder to find games that will be compatible on linux and osx compared to windows, because the market using the other 2 is much smaller than the market using windows, and requires different coding as well. the developers would rather server several millions of people who use directx11 for profit rather than serve a few hundred thousand at the start who will utilize all of directx11.1 without support from the original directx11. heck even some games now and days still use directx9(a prominent example is skyrim), because it can be run on xp...

and you know this how? windows 8 has many new features besides a new UI you know

because profit. why make a game where only less than 5% of the market can play. the game developers know not everyone is going to upgrade to windows 8...

AyuX

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012

Sorry for asking offtopic here, does your core i3 2120 bottleneck hd 7850? What is the resolution of your monitor?

no is basic logic... game producing can be very costly. why would game developers make a game for a very niche part of the market. thats why its harder to find games that will be compatible on linux and osx compared to windows, because the market using the other 2 is much smaller than the market using windows, and requires different coding as well. the developers would rather server several millions of people who use directx11 for profit rather than serve a few hundred thousand at the start who will utilize all of directx11.1 without support from the original directx11. heck even some games now and days still use directx9(a prominent example is skyrim), because it can be run on xp and hits a larger market

@above, i dont plan on playing games like battlefield 3 so i havent run into a bottle neck as of yet, but i still have to upgrade my monitor so i cant say 100% sure on the situation

Solution

no proof = guessing

Stickem

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2012

From what I have seen and researched. I think Microsoft had some good ideas for Win8 but the word around the block is it's the next WinME which probably explains the scramble to presell it and its upgrades for cheap. Most of my tech friends are staying away from Win8 and probably for good reason. Dudewitbow to a degree is accurate behind his statement. Developers are wary about Win8 release regardless if it supports dx 11.1 or not. It would take several months if not years for Win8 to gain enough market share to appeal to developers to produce games using dx 11.1 unless of course dx 11.1 was released for Win7 then it would make sense because Win7 is wide spread and is a pretty good OS to produce a game for. Everything in technology is a "progression". Perhaps a different story will unravel with Win8. Thats my two cents!

it is a guess, but its not a random one, its a guess made with logical reasoning. it would be too suicidal for any developer to make a game that is only compatible with directx 11.1 and that alone.

some developers will see it as you do but other's will see it as an edge

AyuX

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012

Offtopic sorry. You got a very good rig. Is there any game you get 40- fps on your rig?

how is it an edge? they would make less profit if they served a niche market. like my example before, thats the reason why skyrim is directx9, because it targets jsut about every windows user including ones who still use XP. companies who dont make enough profit have their stocks decrease in price. most companies who follow suit end up being bought and taken over by a larger company. this is VERY prominent in the gaming world. An example would be EA buying out bioware(makers of mass effect) and examples of companies who fell would be like Ensemble Studios(makers of age of empires/mythology/halo wars) who fell broke up and became a niche section of zygna(sad really) and Pandemic Studios(Battlefront, Mercenaries, Destroy All Humans) who were bought off by EA and afterwords disassembled.

if you want to relate on something that was historical fact, when directx 10 was released, Halo: Combat evolved was one of the few games that required directx10 and didn't work on directx9. It took a group of modders to create a patch that made Halo a directx9 compatible game. this ONLY happened because the developers served a niche group, people who were early adapters to vista.

do you really think MS is just renaming DX11 to 11.1 without making any changes or improvements? Nvidia and ATI will come out with 11.1 cards just for marketing

AyuX

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012

Heard that AMD will be the first to come out with 11.1 Graphic cards? Nvidia's new keplers won't be, so might be the AMD hd 7990! Hope that Dx 11.1 will be something for 3D and some other useless stuff so that we don't have to bother to get a new card

NVIDIA and ATI are always looking for an edge so expect them to

what i think will happen is that 11.1 will have a minor update to them, but they are still labled directx11 for the most part when in game classification. it may be sorta like the difference between pci-e 2.0 and 2.1, its still labled as a 2.0 slot but the other has a minor update to it. the major differences between 11 and 11.1 should be very minor. whether or not amd and nvidia will make a new line for 11.1 or do some kind of odd firmware update or something will be up to them to decide. its extremely plausible that the next line of gpus will have it as the only project AMD working on is the 7970x2 card, and nvidia has recently stated that the gtx 660ti will be the last gk104 card, so the next gen cards should be arriving soon.

If i were a game dev, if they used dx11.1, the game will be compatable with dx11 as well. some games usually support different dx versions(an example is crysis 2, it has a dx9 mode and a dx11 mode)

El Tigre

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012

Lol, you mean Halo 2 PC? Halo: Combat Evolved PC came out before Vista was even announced to the world. ;)

Regarding DX11.1 not being on Kepler, funny, my GTX 670 supports DX11.1 unless there is something wrong with this reading. ;)

88m.png

You will only have to change your video card if for some strange reason games that you want to play will only support DX11.1 and nothing prior to that.

Even in the somewhat near future any developer going that route will more or less be committing suicide because the vast majority of people will likely not have a DX11.1 card.

Stickem

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2012

Thanks for the compliment. Basically I can play any game out on the market today at maxed settings in 1080p resolutions and never drop below 60 fps. I play everything from Crysis 1 & 2, Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Metro, Diablo 3, Counter Strike Source, all the Call of Duty titles, Fallout series, WoW, and a bunch more titles. I never have any issues. I hope this helps answer your question. Good luck if your buildng a new system!

AyuX

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012

Any significant increase in gaming performance with Virtua MVP?

Status
Not open for further replies.