Asus HD7850 - Games Crashing

Fern7850

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
System Specs:

Mainboard : ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P8Z77-V
Chipset : Intel Ivy Bridge
Processor : Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3400 MHz
Physical Memory : 8192 KB (2 x 4096 DDR3-SDRAM )
Video Card : AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series
Hard Disk : M4-CT128M4SSD2 ATA Device (128GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : Toshiba-Samsung CDDVDW SH-222BB
Monitor Type : Samsung SMS27A550H - 27 inches
Network Card : Intel 6 Series Chipset Family Ethernet Controller
Network Card : Atheros Communications AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter
Operating System : Windows 7 Ultimate Professional Media Center 6.01.7601 Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
DirectX : Version 11.00

My card in specific is the "ASUS HD 7850 DirectCU II".

I've been having problems with this card in the month that I've had it. I was originally playing Diablo 3 and it was running perfectly. Recently, though, I've tried playing Crysis 2 & Skyrim and I'm lucky to last a minute in the game before it either crashes and exits out, white screens, or BSOD's with either "Clock interrupt not received on a secondary processor", "Win32k.sys", or "Atiumdag.dll", seemingly quite randomly. I updated to the newest BIOS which had no impact, and I've played around a bit overclocking my graphics card to see whether it would do anything. I don't know what to do to make the games playable. If I can't solve this by tomorrow then I'm likely going to be getting a different card because I'm tired of this after a month. Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Solution
Every companies RMA process is a little different and their customer service can be great or downright terrible. If it is only a month old I would return it in exchange for another at the retail store you purchased it from first, if they won't do that then you'll have to RMA it through ASUS.

rage33

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
Did you overclock your card prior to having these game crashes? Navigate in you're CCC and you should be able to reset default settings and see if that helps. Also if you recently updated the drivers something could have installed wrong there too. you may want to remove all AMD display drivers and re-download and install the current AMD drivers. If none of this helps then you may have a defective card and will need to begin the RMA process with ASUS.

mace200200

Honorable
There's still lots of Driver glitches for the 7800's, try the newest beta driver you can find, then try the newest stable, or even try an older one if neither of those work. I wouldn't have tried OCing right away though, they might not let you RMA it if you have been over clocking.

Fern7850

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
The crashes were happening long before I tried OC'ing. Actually, Overclocking the card at one point made the games last over an hour, but then back to the BSOD's or crashes. I already removed and re-installed the AMD Drivers and re-downloaded Catalyst and the accompanying drivers twice to be sure.

I'm going down to the store I bought the card at tomorrow to see what I can do, (No mentions of OC'ing of course). But I know that OC'ing didn't kill my card because it didn't work long before I tried it. Thanks for the attempts though, guys. I'll hopefully have a 670x come tomorrow because I've gotten nowhere with this. Is it a long process returning a card? I have my receipt so I'd assume I'd be able to go ahead and do it? This is my first built computer and also my first problem, so I'm totally clueless. :/

rage33

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
Every companies RMA process is a little different and their customer service can be great or downright terrible. If it is only a month old I would return it in exchange for another at the retail store you purchased it from first, if they won't do that then you'll have to RMA it through ASUS.

Solution