Intel i7-3820 3.6GHz question

I have a i7-3820 stock speed is 3.6GHz i have mine running at 3.8GHz and max turbo boost is 4.1 GHz.

The Max temp i have seen a core go to is 67 c. is that a standard temp for it to be at or is it to hot. i think i have the stock cooler not to sure because its an alienware computer and dont know what they have used.

any help would be great.

thanks
19 answers Last reply
More about intel 3820 6ghz question
  1. gingerjordan97 said:
    I have a i7-3820 stock speed is 3.6GHz i have mine running at 3.8GHz and max turbo boost is 4.1 GHz.

    The Max temp i have seen a core go to is 67 c. is that a standard temp for it to be at or is it to hot. i think i have the stock cooler not to sure because its an alienware computer and dont know what they have used.

    any help would be great.

    thanks


    That is a little hot. Keep it at 3.6GHz for now. 66.8C is what intel suggests as maximum temps.

    You are probably on a stock(type) cooler. You can open your case and check.

    Get yourself a nice cooler me thinks.
  2. Socket 2011 processors tend to run 'hot'. It seems Intel was unable to come up with an effective (or perhaps cost effective) heatsink for the processor so there was never a stock cooler for the 3820 - aftermarket cooling only. I imagine Alienware didn't put a cooler much better than the minimum needed to keep the CPU running properly. If your case has room for it, you might look into a larger (or better) cooling system. What is the model number/name of your system - We can look into alternatives for cooling the CPU
  3. C12Friedman said:
    Socket 2011 processors tend to run 'hot'. It seems Intel was unable to come up with an effective (or perhaps cost effective) heatsink for the processor so there was never a stock cooler for the 3820 - aftermarket cooling only. I imagine Alienware didn't put a cooler much better than the minimum needed to keep the CPU running properly. If your case has room for it, you might look into a larger (or better) cooling system. What is the model number/name of your system - We can look into alternatives for cooling the CPU

    Its an Alienware aurora r4 (not ALX case)
  4. can i also make clear that it is only a few cores that are running at 67 i think the cpu as a whole is running at 40 (if im reading this right im really confused lol)
  5. gingerjordan97 said:
    Its an Alienware aurora r4 (not ALX case)


    You should be able to fit some nice air coolers in that PC.
    Consider a NH-D14 Noctua or Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E extreme.

    The Thermalright is arguably the best air cooler available, but its a little larger and loader than the Noctua.

    The Noctua may be problematic on 2011 socket though. You will need to check with your supplier to be sure they have a version that fits the 2011 socket.
  6. gingerjordan97 said:
    can i also make clear that it is only a few cores that are running at 67 i think the cpu as a whole is running at 40 (if im reading this right im really confused lol)


    Download HW monitor, look at the packet temperature. That is the relevant one.

    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

    Download link is on the right.
  7. 41c min and 50c max
  8. gingerjordan97 said:
    41c min and 50c max


    LOL those temps are perfectly fine! I would still get a better cooler to OC some more though.

    With a good cooler you can hit 4.4/4.5GHz with that CPU.
  9. Novuake said:
    LOL those temps are perfectly fine! I would still get a better cooler to OC some more though.

    With a good cooler you can hit 4.4/4.5GHz with that CPU.

    ahah great that was idle tho the other temps i gave were the highest that it had reached thought the day. maybe they only hit that for a second
  10. gingerjordan97 said:
    ahah great that was idle tho the other temps i gave were the highest that it had reached thought the day. maybe they only hit that for a second


    Ok wait, so those temps are not under stress testing? Ok no I think you really need a better cooler. Every time it gets that hot you lose lifetime on the CPU.

    Do you have a budget for a cooler?
  11. under £100 probs. i will do a test with prime95 and see what it gets to.
  12. gingerjordan97 said:
    under £100 probs. i will do a test with prime95 and see what it gets to.


    STOP THE TEST IMMEDIATELY if it exceeds 70C.

    For 100 Pounds you could get VERY good cooling. Maybe even custom water cooling.

    But thats not for everyone.
  13. will do. it seams to be holding around 66c. will do a 20 min test just to see
  14. finished the test. after 20 mins it didnt go above 66c
  15. gingerjordan97 said:
    finished the test. after 20 mins it didnt go above 66c


    That's not too bad. At least its within spec.


    You don't NEED a cooler in my opinion, but it would be safer.
  16. okay thank you very much for your help :)
  17. 66C is still higher than you want to see. Gaming won't stress the CPU nearly as much as Prime95 but if there are other uses for the computer also which do take full advantage of multiple cores with hyperthreading (like many BIONC projects), you'll definately want to look at alternative cooling options a simple/inexpensive option may be to add an additional fan to the 120mm radiator to run it in push/pull. The images I've seen seem to indicate you have a 120mm rad on an all-in-one liquid cooler - push/pull may help a bit there
    My $0.02
  18. Probably should of done this before.
    I have just opened the pc and I do have alienware's liquid cooling.
    Is there anyway of increasing a setting to make it cool more
  19. Going throgh Dell's documentation for the Alienware Aurora R4 found here http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/Product/alienware-aurora-r4 I can find nothing on settings for the CPU cooler (which might be in your OS-installed documentation). I'm still of the belief that your best bet is to add another fan to run the rad in push/pull.
    My $0.02
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Intel i7 Turbo Boost