Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Making a Modular Power Supply?

Last response: in Components
January 18, 2013 10:30:20 PM

Well, not an entire power supply. But making a non-modular, modular. To me it seems sorta simple, but just wondering other views/any problems that may come about?

I was just planning to cut the cables of my TX650, so the cables would be not visible. After, just removing the top of the power supply, then separating the cables from the bunch, and just adding the pins on the end of the wires then just adding the power plugs on the wires.

With a dremel, then just cutting out rectangles on the side of the power supply which the wires come out, and gluing the ends of the plugs onto the inside of the power supply.

Once thats all done, I think it would be complete. Just adding in extension cables and.. Thats that right?

Links for some information..

The Pins: http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/ModSmart-A...
Power Plug Example: http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/ModSmart-8...
Extenstion cable Example: http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/Akasa-AK-C...

More about : making modular power supply

a b ) Power supply
January 18, 2013 10:39:49 PM

Hi :) 

I seriously hope you own a fire extinguisher...

My point is...if you have to ask DONT DO IT... You are obviously NOT a qualified Electrician...

All the best Brett :) 
January 18, 2013 10:49:48 PM

Brett928S2 said:

I seriously hope you own a fire extinguisher...

My point is...if you have to ask DONT DO IT... You are obviously NOT a qualified Electrician...

Im not "Electrician", Im a 15 year old looking to save £100 by making my own modular power supply.

Anyway, any reasons WHY I would need a fire extinguisher, it would be more helpful than just a plain insult. It doesn't take a electrician to mod some cables. I've also replaced fuses and capacitors on power supplies as well, so I know my way around. there isn't any reason why it would 'set on fire'.... The cables Don't get hot, nor do the plugs. The cables are all covered in plastic insolation as well, so they wouldn't cause any issues with shorting anything out.

Please rethink your useless comment, and just think about what Im really doing: Removing braiding, Shortening the cables, Applying plugs. Any enthusiast modder is able to do that, just because Im whipping out a dremal and cutting away some of my power supply, doesn't mean that it poses a fire risk.
Related resources
a c 162 ) Power supply
January 18, 2013 10:55:13 PM

That sounds like a very interesting project. No real need for it of course, but hobbyists don't really need a need. If done right (big if, depending on your expertise), it would work quite well. Be sure to ID the wires/cables before cutting, and leave them longer than necessary until you are sure of the length required. And don't rely on a crimp connection on the pins; solder as well. The pins appear to not be 'crimp-able', but do have fold-over tabs to secure the insulated portion of the wires for stress relief. I haven't researched the pieces to assure they are the correct items you will need; I assume you already did that . Good luck. Let us know how you did.
January 18, 2013 11:00:38 PM

clutchc said:
That sounds like a very interesting project. No real need for it of course, but hobbyists don't really need a need. If done right (big if, depending on your expertise), it would work quite well. Be sure to ID the wires/cables before cutting, and leave them longer than necessary until you are sure of the length required. And don't rely on a crimp connection on the pins; solder as well. The pins appear to not be 'crimp-able', but do have fold-over tabs to secure the insulated portion of the wires for stress relief. I haven't researched the pieces to assure they are the correct items you will need; I assume you already did that . Good luck. Let us know how you did.

Thanks alot! Yes I already thought of things like that when I was writing it up, will be sure to try and get it spot on
January 18, 2013 11:01:00 PM

for every join in the cables you add resistance/loss and also because of fans, dvd's and hdd's etc all moving it will wriggle the joins creating interference etc

your hdd's will suffer the most, the faults will show up as pending sectors, i/o or seek errors on the HDD's "SMART" status and eventually will warn you of failure

seriously leave things to the manufacturers spec, wire it up neatly there are 1000 ways to wire up a computer without a modular psu
a b ) Power supply
January 18, 2013 11:05:32 PM

919han153 said:
Im not "Electrician", Im a 15 year old looking to save £100 by making my own modular power supply.

Anyway, any reasons WHY I would need a fire extinguisher, it would be more helpful than just a plain insult. It doesn't take a electrician to mod some cables. I've also replaced fuses and capacitors on power supplies as well, so I know my way around. there isn't any reason why it would 'set on fire'.... The cables Don't get hot, nor do the plugs. The cables are all covered in plastic insolation as well, so they wouldn't cause any issues with shorting anything out.

Please rethink your useless comment, and just think about what Im really doing: Removing braiding, Shortening the cables, Applying plugs. Any enthusiast modder is able to do that, just because Im whipping out a dremal and cutting away some of my power supply, doesn't mean that it poses a fire risk.

Ask your PARENTS to read this thread.....

You are 15 years old..... this isn't funny, it COULD BE LETHAL !!!!!!!!!!

The fact you don't even realise its a huge risk makes this thread even sadder...

If they think its a good idea to risk burning their house down fine....

P.S I think I will let the Moderators decide if this thread should stay or not....
January 18, 2013 11:07:00 PM

apache_lives said:
for every join in the cables you add resistance/loss and also because of fans, dvd's and hdd's etc all moving it will wriggle the joins creating interference etc

your hdd's will suffer the most, the faults will show up as pending sectors, i/o or seek errors on the HDD's "SMART" status and eventually will warn you of failure

seriously leave things to the manufacturers spec, wire it up neatly there are 1000 ways to wire up a computer without a modular psu

Ohhh kay. I hear where your coming from, and I understand too. Well I guess I could do both in the end anyway, but thanks for telling me the risks. Out of interest then, manufacturers must have to increase voltage else where? And also, if I therefore had multiple extensions, SATA splitters etc, would that then increase in loss?
January 18, 2013 11:11:38 PM

Brett928S2 said:

Ask your PARENTS to read this thread.....

You are 15 years old..... this isn't funny, it COULD BE LETHAL !!!!!!!!!!

The fact you don't even realise its a huge risk makes this thread even sadder...

If they think its a good idea to risk burning their house down fine....

P.S I think I will let the Moderators decide if this thread should stay or not....

Oh wow, thats really useful. Sounds like you should grow up and wonder if a moderator should decide to keep your post or not. This topic could be something others are wondering, and interested to do, just because your not interested in giving input, doesn't mean you can troll threads and try and dictate things, okay?...
a b ) Power supply
January 18, 2013 11:37:11 PM

919han153 said:
Oh wow, thats really useful. Sounds like you should grow up and wonder if a moderator should decide to keep your post or not. This topic could be something others are wondering, and interested to do, just because your not interested in giving input, doesn't mean you can troll threads and try and dictate things, okay?...

Grow up lol..I am older than your grandfather....

I also own Computer shops in the UK and we see a LOT of damaged machines where teenagers THINK they knew better than Pros...

Think of it like this....

Just imagine for a fraction of a second that I am right.... and you DID manage to have a serious house fire.... how would YOU feel for the rest of your life if you managed to kill or injure one of your parents or brothers or sisters ???

Just THINK about that...

a c 243 ) Power supply
January 18, 2013 11:42:03 PM

919han153 said:
Well, not an entire power supply. But making a non-modular, modular. To me it seems sorta simple, but just wondering other views/any problems that may come about?

I was just planning to cut the cables of my TX650, so the cables would be not visible. After, just removing the top of the power supply, then separating the cables from the bunch, and just adding the pins on the end of the wires then just adding the power plugs on the wires.

With a dremel, then just cutting out rectangles on the side of the power supply which the wires come out, and gluing the ends of the plugs onto the inside of the power supply.

Once thats all done, I think it would be complete. Just adding in extension cables and.. Thats that right?

Links for some information..

The Pins: http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/ModSmart-A...
Power Plug Example: http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/ModSmart-8...
Extenstion cable Example: http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/Akasa-AK-C...

You'll want a crimping tool
example; http://www.frozencpu.com/products/3701/slt-16/FrozenCPU...
Not alot of working room inside the TX650 casing for routing the wiring, how much modularity are you talking about ?

January 19, 2013 12:04:22 AM

Understand the risk involved, of not only your equipment, your house and anything else, as well as loss of insurance as it wouldnt be certified, this isnt a toy, tho it is nice to see someone wanting to know about such things.
If anyone wants to help him, PM him, as I think I may have to close this thread for pure safeties sake
!