Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Which PSU would you prefer?

Last response: in Components
January 18, 2013 10:45:03 PM

Hey community,

Looking for to upgrade my PSU from my Dell XPS 8300. So far I got those choices:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004MKNNH6/?tag=pcpapi-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0092ML0OC/?tag=pcpapi-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017KE3DM/?tag=pcpapi-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EYV690/?tag=pcpapi-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058FAYQ2/?tag=pcpapi-20

I am looking for somewhere around 550-600 watts PSUs. Do you think which one is better, or you have better suggestions for around the same price? I was really interested on the OCZ ModXStream Pro, because of its semi-modular PSU... Just a note, I can only purchase from Amazon.com only. Thanks for reading.

More about : psu prefer

a c 142 ) Power supply
January 18, 2013 11:04:25 PM

Check out JonnyGuru.com and see if he's reviewed any of those. They are all about the same quality to my thinking. I've always had good luck with OCZ and Antec in that price range. As well as Rosewill.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/index.php
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 18, 2013 11:07:52 PM

1st choice would be the Corsair, 2nd the OCZ, the rest tied for 3rd. But if modular is important, then get it.
m
l
Related resources
January 18, 2013 11:33:39 PM

clutchc said:
Check out JonnyGuru.com and see if he's reviewed any of those. They are all about the same quality to my thinking. I've always had good luck with OCZ and Antec in that price range. As well as Rosewill.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/index.php

Searched it up on the website, and NONE of them were on the list except the Corsair CX-600 (Only the CX-430 were being reviewed, similar to the model).

Quote:
1st choice would be the Corsair, 2nd the OCZ, the rest tied for 3rd. But if modular is important, then get it.

Uhh, you think Corsair should be the first choice? I wonder if CX series power supply are good.
m
l
a c 142 ) Power supply
January 18, 2013 11:46:21 PM

I'm using the Antec 550W you listed in a budget build right now. (PhII X4 965BE/GTX 560 OC). The Antec Basiq series (or the earlier Neo) in the 500w - 600w range has been my budget go-to PSU for years. Never a fail yet. And the modular design is a nice plus for keeping the build neat and air flow at a maximum.
m
l
a c 142 ) Power supply
January 18, 2013 11:57:38 PM

The only problem with those rebates, is that by the time you finally get it, you'll have forgotten what it was for. And now they usually come as a pre-paid debit card. To use it you have to buy something else. Usually you'll have to spend more that the rebate card in order to use it all up.
m
l
January 19, 2013 12:12:22 AM

I don't tend to do rebates. And the reason why I choose Amazon over Newegg, I am not saying that Newegg is a bad source, just that I can't use my parents credit card :p  And I have Amazon gift card credits on my account. So that's why lol.
m
l
January 19, 2013 12:13:15 AM

So out of those 5 PSUs, which ones do you guys think you can eliminated?
m
l
January 19, 2013 12:22:53 AM

JeauxBleaux said:
All of them, consider this one, it's in your wattage range, is very efficient, and is one of the best manufacturers of power supplies.

http://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-80Plus-M12II-620-BRONZE/...

Thanks for the suggestion, I do know that Seasonic is a very reliable brand, but the pricing is just a bit too expensive. Now that they have taxes in California on Amazon (which I live there), if they have tax on this item, it's going to cost around $90 or higher. I seriously don't want to pay that much.
m
l
January 19, 2013 12:29:40 AM

I hear ya'. Did I mention the 5 years parts and labor warranty? No one else comes close. OCZ does a three year warranty and has decent specs, the others are only a year.
m
l
January 19, 2013 12:37:57 AM

If the warranty doesn't sell you, do what I do. Go to Newegg and open the "reviews" page. Add the 4 and 5 egg ratings, throw out the threes and add the 2 and 1 egg ratings. Do the math, find the percentage of satisfied vs dissatisfied and you'll have an answer you can live with.

Do this for all the supplies you are considering...
m
l
January 19, 2013 12:38:35 AM

JeauxBleaux said:
I hear ya'. Did I mention the 5 years parts and labor warranty? No one else comes close. OCZ does a three year warranty and has decent specs, the others are only a year.

The Thermaltake PSU that i listed also have a 5 year warranty, also 3 year warranty with the OCZ, Corsair, and Antec PSUs I listed.
m
l
January 19, 2013 12:41:36 AM

JeauxBleaux said:
If the warranty doesn't sell you, do what I do. Go to Newegg and open the "reviews" page. Add the 4 and 5 egg ratings, throw out the threes and add the 2 and 1 egg ratings. Do the math, find the percentage of satisfied vs dissatisfied and you'll have an answer you can live with.

Do this for all the supplies you are considering...

Checked them all. They are all 4 egg eatings in average.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 19, 2013 12:46:48 AM

No thats not what he meant. Add up the percentages of the 5's and 4's that gives you an idea of how many were satisfied. Do the same for the 1's and 2's and get an idea of how many are dissatisfied. I go a step further and read the cons on the most recent posts to see if there is any new problems with the product.
m
l
January 19, 2013 12:49:35 AM

Just calculated. Results are (percentage for 4 and 5 stars combined):

84% - OCZ

82% - Thermaltake

88% - Antec

72% - Corsair

85% - Silverstone

m
l
January 19, 2013 12:53:46 AM

ipwn3r456 said:
Checked them all. They are all 4 egg eatings in average.

I think you missed my point ;)  , for instance, the 4s & 5s on the Silverstone add up to 36, the 1s & 2s add up to 6 eggs, the resultant ratio is 36:6 or, 6:1 or, 16.66% of the people think it's crap.

Conversely, on the Seasonic, there are 130 4s & 5s and only 6 1s & 2s, the ratio is 130:6 or, 4.6% of the people think it's crap... See? I believe the best indicator of any product are the opinions of the people that actually paid good money (or not) for their experience.
m
l
January 19, 2013 12:55:14 AM

JeauxBleaux said:
I think you missed my point ;)  , for instance, the 4s & 5s on the Silverstone add up to 36, the 1s & 2s add up to 6 eggs, the resultant ratio is 36:6 or, 6:1 or, 16.66% of the people think it's crap.

Conversely, on the Seasonic, there are 130 4s & 5s and only 6 1s & 2s, the ratio is 130:6 or, 4.6% of the people think it's crap... See? I believe the best indicator of any product are the opinions of the people that actually paid good money (or not) for their experience.

Look at my post above.
m
l
January 19, 2013 1:04:39 AM

ipwn3r456 said:
Look at my post above.

Yes, I did notice that you left out the 95% (and 5 egg) rating of the Seasonic.

Really, it's your choice, I'm not here to argue, just to try and help you make an informed decision. Money IS tight for most of us, but there isn't a better time to buy quality products than WHEN money is tight.
m
l
January 19, 2013 1:10:48 AM

JeauxBleaux said:
Yes, I did notice that you left out the 95% (and 5 egg) rating of the Seasonic.

Really, it's your choice, I'm not here to argue, just to try and help you make an informed decision. Money IS tight for most of us, but there isn't a better time to buy quality products than WHEN money is tight.

I do get your point. It's just simply too expensive for me. Plus I have to save money for a new GPU also.
m
l
January 19, 2013 1:20:33 AM

Anyone else have an idea which PSUs to eliminate from the list I made?
m
l
a c 142 ) Power supply
January 19, 2013 1:27:25 AM

I would probably eliminate the Siverstone. I would go for single rail, highest +12V amps, modular, sheathed cables.
m
l
January 19, 2013 1:47:12 AM

clutchc said:
I would probably eliminate the Siverstone. I would go for single rail, highest +12V amps, modular, sheathed cables.

Should I eliminate the Thermaltake also? It doesn't have 80 PLUS certified.
m
l
a c 83 ) Power supply
January 19, 2013 2:08:38 AM

TT I would get rid of. The SilverStone is probably fine.

Rather then look at eggs which I consider to be more or less useless, find the highest rated 80+ units. Most are probably only 80+, but there probably a few 80+ bronze. Buy the cheapest of those.

Edit: Looked again, no 80+ bronze units. Cheapest of the 80+ units is the Corsair. 600W odd size, maybe you can find a 500W 80+ bronze?
m
l
a c 142 ) Power supply
January 19, 2013 2:08:48 AM

ipwn3r456 said:
Should I eliminate the Thermaltake also? It doesn't have 80 PLUS certified.

Yeah, that would be my #2 to go. I've never used a thermaltake, but read they were less than ideal.
m
l
January 19, 2013 2:14:02 AM

clutchc said:
Yeah, that would be my #2 to go. I've never used a thermaltake, but read they were less than ideal.

So now I am left with Corsair, OCZ, and Antec. Corsair and Antec are pretty much the reliable ones. OCZ, I think it's also a good brand too, I don't really heard about OCZ power supplies that much, but the pricing is lower than those two, with semi-modular PSU, I can't make a final choice out of them.
m
l
a c 121 ) Power supply
January 19, 2013 2:15:02 AM

I would eliminate the Thermalfake. It is an older, obsolete, inefficient design.
I would also eliminate the Corsair V2 Builder; it was made by CWT, not Seasonic, using inferior Samxon capacitors from a line known to experience early failure.
I don't know much about that particular OCZ, although I know the brand has been dinged pretty hard in some forums for similarly sub-standard capacitors.
I'd probably go with the Antec, since I have used many of their units over the past few years, and had no failures.
m
l
January 19, 2013 2:23:27 AM

Onus said:
I would eliminate the Thermalfake. It is an older, obsolete, inefficient design.
I would also eliminate the Corsair V2 Builder; it was made by CWT, not Seasonic, using inferior Samxon capacitors from a line known to experience early failure.
I don't know much about that particular OCZ, although I know the brand has been dinged pretty hard in some forums for similarly sub-standard capacitors.
I'd probably go with the Antec, since I have used many of their units over the past few years, and had no failures.

What do you think of the Silverstone PSU I listed?
m
l
a c 83 ) Power supply
January 19, 2013 2:26:55 AM

OMG, CWT! Someone please think of the children! CWT isn't that bad.

Silverstone is like FSP or Enermax. Good company, but gets no respect.
m
l

Best solution

a c 142 ) Power supply
January 19, 2013 2:31:52 AM

ipwn3r456 said:

You're making this much harder than it needs to be. There's not that much difference between them. You're more likely to get a DOA than notice the difference.
January 19, 2013 2:35:01 AM

This PSU (it even has an "underload protection")!!!: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

Quote:
The Good:

-cheap

The Bad:

-voltage regulation
-efficiency
-poor power on transient suppression

The Mediocre:

-thin wiring
-ripple suppression
-incomplete output filtering
-overrated
-poor quality capacitors
-5VSB design depends on the poor quality capacitors to keep the output voltage in check
-no over/undervolt protection on the 5VSB rail

The Deadly:

-hot spot on the secondary creates a fire hazard
-improper grounding to the case

In all seriousness, you may need a coffin for your components if you use the PSU...

clutchc said:

According to Jonnyguru, there's not that much of a major difference between single or multi rails in total performance. You're better off ignoring such factor when looking for a PSU.
m
l
a c 142 ) Power supply
January 19, 2013 2:47:29 AM

A Bad Day said:

According to Jonnyguru, there's not that much of a major difference between single or multi rails in total performance. You're better off ignoring such factor when looking for a PSU.

I only said that's what I would do.
m
l
a c 121 ) Power supply
January 19, 2013 3:42:20 AM

According to http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page998.htm the Silverstone was made by Sirtec, which does not enjoy the reputation of a company like Seasonic, Delta, or even FSP.
Jonnyguru reviews (typically by Oklahoma Wolf) have repeatedly dinged CWT for things like not using threadlocker and some component choices. No, they aren't Andyson, Deer, or other junk, but of the listed models, are not what I'd choose. If there are no Seasonic units in your price range, I'd get an Antec and call it a day.
m
l
a c 83 ) Power supply
January 19, 2013 5:49:26 AM

I just think its "funny" when people bitch about a CWT unit, but the Corsair 750W received all kinds of praise when it came out. Care to guess who made that? That's right, CWT.

While I respect and read JG, some of the things they ding for is crazy. I'd love to seem them stop dinging a unit because its not fully modular. Guess what? If I buy a PSU, there are some cables I'm going to use like the 24pin ATX bundle. Hardwire that cable please. But in JG land there goes .5 points because its not fully mod. Just because there was no thread locker doesn't mean its junk. I understand you said they aren't a deer or Andyson, but I'd still have no issues myself with a CWT unit.
m
l
a c 121 ) Power supply
January 19, 2013 3:27:02 PM

I agree; CWT is a better choice than many. Of the listed units though, I'd choose the Antec, which I believe was made by Delta.
m
l
January 19, 2013 7:06:30 PM

Okay. So three choices left still. Corsair, Antec, and OCZ. I want to ask, is there a real difference between non-modular and modular PSUs, exclude the fact of that you can select the cable you want to plug on modular PSUs and non-modular PSUs can't?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 19, 2013 7:12:14 PM

With the modular you get a cleaner build by using only the cords you need. This normally allows better airflow in the case making everything run cooler/better.
m
l
January 19, 2013 7:26:35 PM

jnkweaver said:
With the modular you get a cleaner build by using only the cords you need. This normally allows better airflow in the case making everything run cooler/better.

That is it? Semi-modular PSUs is same thing, right? Just with couple cables pre-attached on the PSU?
m
l
a c 121 ) Power supply
January 19, 2013 7:42:44 PM

That is correct. For most builds, I prefer modular PSUs, but for basic builds where there won't be lots of cables anyway, I usually get either a 380W Antec Earthwatts or a 360W Seasonic G-360.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 19, 2013 8:01:35 PM

ipwn3r456 said:
That is it? Semi-modular PSUs is same thing, right? Just with couple cables pre-attached on the PSU?

There are some cables you have to have (the 24 pin and 4 pin for the motherboard). The semimodular psu's have those required connections on their thick cable. The only real advantage from the semi-modular to the full modular is a single connection is easier to manipulate than the thicker cable.
m
l
a c 281 ) Power supply
January 19, 2013 10:48:47 PM

ipwn3r456 said:

Hi - I couldn't find a quality review (jonnyguru,Hardware Secrets,Hardocp) of that
particular Silverstone, but they have a lot of well reviewed units from OEM Enhance,
the one you linked is a Sirtec model, quite different.
Could be good, but without a good review I wouldn't purchase it.

Tom
m
l
January 20, 2013 12:32:09 AM

Alright, I am going to end this topic, since there is just too much arguments going on than I am expected. I will make a new post if I need to. Pretty much I will go for either the Corsair, Antec, or the OCZ, depending if pricing changes, and other factors, I will choose the final PSU. Thanks guys for the suggestions and tips.
m
l
January 20, 2013 12:32:55 AM

Best answer selected by ipwn3r456.
m
l
!