Slow Internet Browsing

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

Hello,
I am having problems with my network at home - namely extremely slow
browsing of the internet. When downloading from p2p or directly from
the net I can get very good speeds (100kbps+) however when browsing
the net the speeds are unusable (around 500bps!).

I have tried everything I can think of (using latest antivirus
software, removed all spyware, deleted all cookies, temp. int. files,
reduced amount of space used for temp. int. files etc) but I still
cannot get this to work. Is there anything I am missing?

We have

4 PCs all running XPpro
Origo ADSL Modem Router
Opera/Internet Explorer Browsers
1mb DSL line

this is happening on all 4 PCs. Sometimes you can speed up the net by
resetting the router but this only speeds things up for a few minutes
and then it settles back down to the unusable speeds. I first though
it was a problem with the line or maybe the router - but if I can get
100kbps over P2P or directly from the net, this indicates to me that
there's a Browser setting somewhere I'm missing?
Please can somebody help!

Thanks, Leo.
4 answers Last reply
More about slow internet browsing
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

    <leogosland@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > I am having problems with my network at home - namely extremely slow
    > browsing of the internet. When downloading from p2p or directly from
    > the net I can get very good speeds (100kbps+) however when browsing
    > the net the speeds are unusable (around 500bps!).
    >

    > I have tried everything I can think of (using latest antivirus
    > software, removed all spyware, deleted all cookies, temp. int. files,
    > reduced amount of space used for temp. int. files etc) but I still
    > cannot get this to work. Is there anything I am missing?
    >

    > We have
    >

    > 4 PCs all running XPpro
    > Origo ADSL Modem Router
    > Opera/Internet Explorer Browsers
    > 1mb DSL line
    >

    > this is happening on all 4 PCs. Sometimes you can speed up the net by
    > resetting the router but this only speeds things up for a few minutes
    > and then it settles back down to the unusable speeds. I first though
    > it was a problem with the line or maybe the router - but if I can get
    > 100kbps over P2P or directly from the net, this indicates to me that
    > there's a Browser setting somewhere I'm missing?
    > Please can somebody help!
    >
    > Thanks, Leo.

    Leo,
    The first thing I do when T/s a client's computer- is determine if it is a
    connection speed issue. Go to www.PcPitstop.com and do your up/down speed
    tests. The results should be pretty close to what your ISP advertises.

    Bring the results back here and we can go to the next step.

    Larry

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

    Try third-party speeder tool:
    http://www.download.com/Speed-Gear/3000-2121-10290541.html?tag=lst-0-1
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

    <leogosland@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > I am having problems with my network at home - namely extremely slow
    > browsing of the internet. When downloading from p2p or directly from
    > the net I can get very good speeds (100kbps+) however when browsing
    > the net the speeds are unusable (around 500bps!).
    >

    > I have tried everything I can think of (using latest antivirus
    > software, removed all spyware, deleted all cookies, temp. int. files,
    > reduced amount of space used for temp. int. files etc) but I still
    > cannot get this to work. Is there anything I am missing?
    >

    > We have

    Hi Larry,
    > 4 PCs all running XPpro
    > Origo ADSL Modem Router
    > Opera/Internet Explorer Browsers
    > 1mb DSL line
    >

    > this is happening on all 4 PCs. Sometimes you can speed up the net by
    > resetting the router but this only speeds things up for a few minutes
    > and then it settles back down to the unusable speeds. I first though
    > it was a problem with the line or maybe the router - but if I can get
    > 100kbps over P2P or directly from the net, this indicates to me that
    > there's a Browser setting somewhere I'm missing?
    > Please can somebody help!
    >
    > Thanks, Leo.

    Leo,
    The first thing I do when T/s a client's computer- is determine if it is a
    connection speed issue. Go to www.PcPitstop.com and do your up/down speed
    tests. The results should be pretty close to what your ISP advertises.

    Bring the results back here and we can go to the next step.

    Larry

    Hi Larry, I had the same problem,
    I tested my speed and

    Download Speed: 221 kbps (27.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 156 kbps (19.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 92 ms

    In my case, I am able to play online games well enough through the connection but load things like youtube and webpages very slowly.

    I believe it to be a router issue because i just moved here and didn't bring the problem with me.

    My router is a DIR-615

    Thanks in advance.

    Greg
  4. Omg I used to have the exact same problem, and it seems a lot of people here at Toms have it! It happened on the pc that I did p2p on. Reformatted everything and it's alright now :S I started p2p again and it's slow again. I'm suspecting that my ISP is behind this. I'm pretty sure if you reformat and stop p2p, you can surf again... but I know that NO ONE can live without p2p ^.^ so I use only 1 pc to p2p now and then transfer the files over my network to another pc. Well, I haven't really implemented the plan yet, but that's what I'm planning to do, hopefully it works :D

Internet Networking