Shareware Registry Cleaner

del_35

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
Can anyone recomend the best Shareware registry cleaner that works for Win Me. I know Norton Utilities has a good one but im not prepared to pay out the large amount of money that it cost.

Thanks in advance for the help...

<font color=purple> "After great thought, things are always bought from the lowest bider"</font color=purple>

del_35

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
urrrr i got AOL on the computer i intend to use it...

Why the hugh warnings against using them?

<font color=purple> "After great thought, things are always bought from the lowest bider"</font color=purple>

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Why the hugh warnings against using them
Well, personally I dont like anything deleting keys form my registry, I've seen such "utilities" used before- mostly a day or so before I go on a callout to repair a windows install..........

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
Why not to use:

You install program #1, it puts registry keys X,Y,Z in the registry.

You install program #2, it puts registry keys A,B,C and X in the registry

You uninstall either program and the other will stop working because of reg key X. These cleaners are supposed to intelligently figure this sort of thing out and for the most part they do.

You will go a long time with NO trouble whatsoever but WHEN a problem occurs it will be catastrophic. Have a backup handy and your setup disks.

To keep your registry clean the right way:
1. Don't install junk on your pc - pay attention.
2. After uninstalls, search the registry for leftover keys.
3. Reload your operating system every once in a while (for more reasons than this.)

del_35

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
Thanks for the informative replies but i have two questions:

1/ (with ref to above post) Would'nt reinstalling the software easily solve the problem and ensure that key "x" has been replaced.

2/ Is Norton Utilities any good and worth having?

I am fully aware that removing any relevant keys after a uninstall can do the same but at times i am unable to identify what some keys are related to and deleting unfamiliar keys will cause problems - thus causing the same problems as an automatic reg cleaner.

My aim is for a clean registry that i can maintain...

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
answer to #1- probably.
answer to #2- I personally cannot stand it, for the reasons mentioned above, as a side note, norton utils seems to give memory errors for some reason- so dont worry if you get these.
The only registry "fixer" that I dont mind, is scanreg /opt and scanreg/fix
if you DO use it, be sure to make backups of your reg, that way if you do run into trouble you can always revert to a good reg.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?