lastlion

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
Hello everyone, help me figure out a couple of things if you can.

I am planning my home theatre system. I have built what some would consider an enthusiast level PC and plan to use it for all media in the house. Currently it's in the living room (I'm bachelor).

Anyway, regarding sound processing and my motherboard. I have the ASUS 990FX Sabertooth motherboard. No dedicated audio. Realtek specs pasted at the end.

I want to run HDMI output from the PC to my TV. I then want to run audio from my PC to my stereo receiver which will drive two floor standing speakers and a subwoofer. Also, I will attach a soundbar to the TV.

Also, I have rigged a vintage Fischer floor standing speaker to the PC already. The audio goes out through the rear headphone jack, to a tiny amp, to the speaker. Sounds great.

After I set everything up my theory is that:

The two floor standing speakers will emit sound via the receiver via the integrated sound on MB.
The receiver will also send sound to the sub, via the integrated sound on MB.
The TV will drive the sound bar via HDMI connection to PC (nVidia geForce 550ti).
The Fischer speaker will emit sound via the headphone jack

It's kind of a ghetto surround sound, but this will work right?

Realtek® ALC 892 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
- Supports : Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel Jack-retasking
Audio Feature :
- Absolute Pitch 192kHz/ 24-bit True BD Lossless Sound
- Blu-ray audio layer Content Protection
- ASUS Noise Filter
- Optical S/PDIF out port(s) at back panel

popatim

Titan
bear in mind that windows only allows 1 default sound source so if you want sound out of the hdmi port then it wont be using the soundcard.

There is some software that will use the other sound source (realtec) and it might work on a dvd movie but definitely not with a blu-ray that needs a protected path (HDCP) the whole way.

lastlion

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
Thanks popatim. I don't have a dedicated sound card, just what's integrated on the MB.

I'll look into HDCP. Not sure what that is.

And my main OS is Ubuntu 12.04. I have Windows 8 on here as well, but I only use it if I absolutely have to.

lastlion

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
Regarding BluRay. I have an ASUS BluRay Burner. I've ripped all my BluRay to a HDD. The sound plays just fine through the 3.5mm audio out jack, through a little amp, and to to an old Fischer. So that seems to be working ok.