Control.exe, Renaming in XP Home

July 22, 2005 1:00:51 AM

If you rename the file "Control.exe" to (for
instance) "xControl.exe" that would disable Control Panel, is that
correct? Would it affect any other part of the system? and/or what
system 'problems' would it cause, if any?

Christopher A. Steele
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 9:45:06 PM

No, probably not, probably none.

Control just starts control panel, it is not the control panel.

<casteele95thbgheavy@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1122004851.143189.103480@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> If you rename the file "Control.exe" to (for
> instance) "xControl.exe" that would disable Control Panel, is that
> correct? Would it affect any other part of the system? and/or what
> system 'problems' would it cause, if any?
>
> Christopher A. Steele

Anonymous
July 23, 2005 4:04:50 PM

David:

Well, if an 8-year-old can't *start* Control Panel, that effectively
"disables" it insofar as they are concerned, doesn't it (I mean ... at
least until they get smart enough to figure out some 'work around')?

Thanks for responding, David.

Christopher

David Candy wrote:
> No, probably not, probably none.
>
> Control just starts control panel, it is not the control panel.

> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> <casteele95thbgheavy@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1122004851.143189.103480@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> > If you rename the file "Control.exe" to (for
> > instance) "xControl.exe" that would disable Control Panel, is that
> > correct? Would it affect any other part of the system? and/or what
> > system 'problems' would it cause, if any?
> >
> > Christopher A. Steele

Anonymous
July 24, 2005 12:35:06 PM

Control is used to start control panel apps from a command line. It is not required or used for normal use of Control Panel.

!