2 parts needed to completion 1700 budget

ponymony

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
So I just moved to the US from Sweden and im in need of building a pc, I will fill out the template provided in the sticky.

Approximate Purchase Date: As soon as possible!

Budget Range: No more than 1700 (including screen) i can push for 1800 if need be,
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, school, surfing etc all the good stuff.

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Parts to Upgrade: Everything except mouse, have the logitech g9x mouse

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, even though I need to open up an american bank now because of them..

Parts Preferences: In additional comments

Overclocking: for sure down the line

SLI or Crossfire: yes, want to future proof

Your Monitor Resolution: not sure about what to get though, something that is LED backlit and at least 21 inches, and 2ms? not sure about the 60hz (hz is that right) compare to the 120 one? is it worth it?1980x 1080 lowest resolution?

Additional Comments: Ive picked most of my parts to my best knowledge over the last week or so, reading reviews, watching videos etc. But im unsure on the graphics card and Ram as there are soo many choices to pick from. Id like to get low profile Ram so i can use the nh d14 cpu heatsink that i plan on purchasing, but also what is the recommended mhz one needs? 1600? 2133? is there a big improvement between them?Also Id like to get 2x8 in order to have 2 free slots open for future proofing to 32 gb when its needed. Now the graphic card to me is quite overwhelming since there are so many manufactures, ive come to the conclusion I want a 670, im just unsure which one.. anyhow, here are the parts ive picked so far. Please any feedback is appreciated, if theres something better for cheaper or something in my list just plainly sucks let me know :)

COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225

LER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RS800-80GAD3-US 800W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171057

Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2CCA 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148448

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504

ASRock Z77 Extreme6 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157295

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136769

Along with these I also decided to get this pc tool kit just in case and a anti static wrist wrap.

Rosewill RTK-045 45 Piece Premium Computer Tool Kit
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16899261003

XTRAC PADS Ripper Optical Mouse pad
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817114174

Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Keyboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823109191

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: New life in America means a new computer to build, also this is my first time, so im a little nervous as to how it will go. Also im sick of playing bf3 and other games on the lowest lowest settings in order to increase fps in mp games

Not sure if im missing any components if I did let me know!
really appreciate the help, dont know what I would do without the internet to help me (no computer?) :p

Thanks!

DeusAres

Distinguished

ponymony

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

mmm, Well Ive never overclocked before but im not afraid to learn and try, theres always a first time for everything. The asus one has the highest OC potentional? but in reality couldnt the MSI be over clocked ontop of the factory overclock to beat the asus? sorry if its a stupid question.

ponymony

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

Well, one thing there is the 4x2 gb of ram, would rather get 8x2, makes more sense to me. And from the moderate research ive done, i know nothing about ATI (should of prob been looking at both nvidia and ATI)
Thats a pretty nifty site though! Ah I knew I had forgot something! the DVD reader/burner, thank u!:)

about 40 min? Ive never heard of micro center? they are only an in store retailer?

* It's 2 x 4 gb's = 8 gb's not 4 x 2 (which takes up 4 DIMM slots).
* ATI/AMD is the other GPU manufacturer. If you prefer nVidia than I'd consider the GTX 670, but it's over $400! Here is Tom's link to the best GPU's for the $, August edition.

DeusAres

Distinguished

Yes, but the Asus has better cooling. Some people have overclocked theirs to around 1300 MHz without too much trouble. If you do OC the MSI more than it's factory speeds, it won't be a huge difference. Nevertheless, it's still a great card.

Well, one thing there is the 4x2 gb of ram, would rather get 8x2, makes more sense to me. And from the moderate research ive done, i know nothing about ATI (should of prob been looking at both nvidia and ATI)

Make sure you grab either 2x4gb or 2x8gb. The first number signifies the number of dimms you're buying. A 4x2gb kit will take up all your slots, and with a 8x2gb kit you won't have enough room for all 8 dimms. Make sure you just grab 2 dimms considering your motherboard supports dual channel memory. Everything will run much more smoother this way and you'll be able to upgrade in the future without issues.

ponymony

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

Ah ok, we'll then the asus it is, do they work fine in sli? Down the road I plan on adding a second card.

Thanks, didn't knOw there was a order to the numbers should of figured.
That's what I meant though, I'd rather get 2x8 leaving room for buying a second pair late filling up all 4 slots, hitting 32 gb. But which ram are good? Which low profile are the most known/best that people buy? I hear g skill is good, but which model?
And is there a big diff between 1333, 1600, 2133?

And I'll have to look up what dual channel means.

And as for the screen, I went tO best buy (pretty cool/big store, we don't have a big electric store like that in sweden) today just to browse, looked through the different sizes of screens to gage what size I'd want. I think 24 inch, is it worth getting a 120hz screen?

DeusAres

Distinguished

As for the RAM, just get the standard 1600MHz memory at 9-9-9-24 cas timings. Also, make sure it's rated for 1.5 volts or below.

G.Skill is great. I recommend G.Skill Ares for it's low profile heatspreaders.

As for the 16gb and 32gb of RAM, you won't even start to require that amount of RAM before they come out with next gen. By that time you'll be looking at DDR4 or DDR5 dimms. Usually 8gb is enough for gaming, but if you plan on doing video editing or something, the 16gb kit would be great.

Dual channel just means that your motherboard supports or rather functions optimally with a minimum of two memory dimms versus a single dimm or 3 dimms.

The Asus GPU would be an excellent choice to run in SLI. It's a dual slot card, meaning it doesn't take up as much space versus a 3 slot card. This leaves a second PCI express lane open...assuming your motherboard supports it; which in your case, it'll work just fine.

ponymony

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

I heard some reviews on the ares together with my motherboard that it has problems? what about the x series?

Not much video editing, mostly gaming, bf3, skyrim etc.

how come 1.5v or below?

But alright ill stick with 8 gb then!:) 2x4 most likely then.

Any idea on a type of screen to get?

And thanks for all the help by the way!

EDIT: Do you think my case is a bit excesive? Also, i probably wont be ordering the nh d14 right now, is the stock cpu cooler sufficient enough for bf3 etc?

DeusAres

Distinguished

Anything above 1.5 volts will cause your CPU/mobo warranty to become void.

As for the screen, I'd just go for a 1920x1080 and 23 or 24 inch screen @60Hz.

G.Skill Ares will work just fine with your motherboard. The X series will work great as well.

Monitor recommendation...

Asus VE248H Black 24"
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236102&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

ponymony

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

Thanks! I was actually looking at that screen earlier.

What do timings on ram mean? Is it a must with ram with those timings you listed?

And my case, not to much? I know its massive, but it is quite future proof wouldnt you say?

Also, I feel so dumb, youre 19 and you know so much about computers xD

DeusAres

Distinguished
For the CAS timings, lower numbers generally mean the RAM is faster. The "MHz" speeds are just the opposite. Higher MHz and low CAS timings are optimal. RAM at 1600MHz with timings of 9-9-9-24 is usually what gamers use. It's really not that significant. It typically all performs the same in games. Anything at or above 1333MHz with timings at or below 9-9-9-24 is good enough for most tasks.

Your case is an excellent option. Plenty of airflow and room for cable management. The LEDs give it a nice touch. It'll be a strong contender for many years to come. :)

Well, I am currently majoring in Computer Science; so it's more or less a must. ;)

ponymony

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

Will do! I found these, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231461 RAM, they ok?

And just to double triple check, everything is compatible right?:p this is my final.

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=15943994
has the exact timings as you suggested along with 1.25V

Anything Im missing or need?

Extra 120mm fan for the case as theres only one on top? or is that not needed.

I decided to skip SSD for now as im borrowing 1700 dollars from a friend to buy this (still no american bank card)

Also, yeah, any more pointers before I do it :)?

And ahh, ok.. even though, I dont have one main subject that im as proficient as you are in computer science ;)

EDIT: knew I forgot something, DVD/CD buriner.

I have an extremly silly question. DVD burners are also drives? Obviously.

How difficult is it to build a computer? Im kind of nervous to screw *** up, obviously ill be reading guides etc, will have a laptop on the side handy so i can look up stuff in case something goes wrong.

nsouter853

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
Hey there!

"Switch" the HAF X out for the NZXT Switch 810. I have both cases (one for each of my rigs, I built with the HAF X last time and the Switch 810 for the one you see in my sig, although I still have the other rig) and trust me, the Switch 810 is much better. It has more airflow (11 fans in it at the moment), better cable management (seriously, the cable management is insane, better than the HAF X), looks much cooler/low profile yet stunning (of course this is up to you), and has more space/spots for radiators if you ever water cool (you can fit like 2-3 huge rads in here).

Good luck!

ponymony

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

I was thinking about watercooling sometime down the road. Ill take a look at some reviews of it and read a bit. Guess I wont be ordering it this second xD

Deus, what are you're thoughts on that case?

nsouter853

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011

Aye, just from looking at what others have done, and at my case to my right, you could put in a 140x3 (420) rad on top in push/pull (the case is designed specifically for push/pull up there, sick right?), a 140x2 in the front in push/pull, a 140x2 (280) on the bottom, and a 140x1 in the back. Of course you would pick and choose which ones to use, you would never need all of em. Or you could switch out all of the 140's to 120's if you really prefer.

ponymony

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

Oh damn, so people do buy extra fans etc, Its not imperative that I do this right away though? Stock things will work fine for a bit?

Along with stock CPU cooler? its not an absolute must to get it right away right?

As i dont plan on overclocking directly, will buy CPU cooler and more fans in 2 months or so.

/thanks!

EDIT: yeah thats why I chose the case, air flow, heard its very good, very big, and when need be I just add watercooling :)

nsouter853

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
It's not imparative to buy fans right away, but sooner rather than later is always better. Stock fans/stock cpu cooler will work fine if you don't stress it too bad or overclock. You will want to put in more fans and an aftermarket cooler asap though.

Yeah, the HAF-X is great, don't get me wrong. It is pretty big and has great airflow, but the NZXT Switch 810 is just newer and plainly better. MORE space where you need it, BETTER airflow with all the fans (11 in mine), BETTER cable management, and way more spots for radiators with liquid cooling. Now that's not saying the HAF-X is not an option, it is certainly viable, but the Switch is just a step ahead because it's newer.

ponymony

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

Indeed, well I donnt plan on doing any overclocking anyhow until I buy better CPU cooler (nh d14)
And I guess fans as well!

Well it makes sense newer means better, as the HAF is quite old I believe?

How come cases dont include all fans? Odd they make you buy extra etc.

is the NZXT BIG like the HAF? for sli, or 3 way etc years down the road?

nsouter853

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
They don't include all the fans for 2 reasons:
1) It's expensive ($10-20/fan)
2) They want you to be able to customize what kind of fans you want to use in your case, be it silent, super airflow, balanced, etc.

Yes the NZXT is HUGE. Plenty of space for 2-3-4 graphics cards, if your mobo can handle it. You can also remove/rearrange all the case hardware inside, so you can customize how much space there is and where.