Graphics Card Reinstallation help!

amazinglynewb

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
Hello, so after a disastrous factory reset done by someone I'm not talking too at the moment; I need help. Before the reset I had upgraded my "HP a6119h"with a http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA_Series/EN8400GS_SILENTP512M/

Due to the reset the computer no longer acknowledges the card and has reverted to the chip. I seriously do not know how to reinstall this thing again. I'm running on Vista if that's any help, but if any if you guys could give me a step by step that would be great. Thank you.

rage33

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
I'm confused as to why you factory reset you're windows due to an upgraded (term used lightly) GPU. Have you installed the appropriate drivers from Nvidia? Also just to make sure you are using the correct video output on the back of your case, meaning that your VGA/DVI cable is connected to the graphic card and not the motherboard?

DM186

Splendid
^+1
If that doesn't work for you what rage33 suggested. Try this. boot up go into your bios and diable you on board GPU save and exit out and restart it. If you can't while the card is in your rig.

Then take it out and us your on board GPU to go into your bios and disable your on board or you can go into your device manager under display adapters right click on it right click on the on board GPU listed and then click disable.

Then shut down and put the card back in and reboot it should work. Then do the drivers or do the drivers before you disable the integrated GPU. Let us know how it turns out. Good luck.

amazinglynewb

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012

I'm sorry I should have been more clear. This upgrade happened years ago, the factory reset happened just recently. My friend was house sitting for me and according to his story, my computer "mysteriously" caught a virus and the only way for him to fix it was to reset the whole thing. Everything is properly connected and thank you I will give it a shot.