Not open for further replies.

TheRLD

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
So im choosing a cpu for my gaming rig

Im choosing between a amd 6 core or an intel i7

Which is better for gaming/editing?

Solution
i7 hands down,I just upgraded from an fx 6100.and damn...The difference is tenfold! and don't listen to them about the 3570k being the best for gaming and the i7 not as good for gaming because quite frankly,If you want to JUST GAME and you have the money for an i7 hell grab it,disable hyper threading...But the difference is 1-3 fps...Nothing But i got the i7 3820 and wow,I rendered a 13 minute 1080p video in 11 minutes compared to my 6100...it takes like 25 minutes.And in bf3 and every other game ive noticed a good 10-15 fps gain.
I would go with the I7. The quad core without hyperthreading is great for gaming and quad core with hyperthreading enabled is great for heavy CPU work. IMO the I7 is the best of both worlds. When you say editing what are you doing is this for just fun or professinal work.

EchoOne

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
i7 hands down,I just upgraded from an fx 6100.and damn...The difference is tenfold! and don't listen to them about the 3570k being the best for gaming and the i7 not as good for gaming because quite frankly,If you want to JUST GAME and you have the money for an i7 hell grab it,disable hyper threading...But the difference is 1-3 fps...Nothing But i got the i7 3820 and wow,I rendered a 13 minute 1080p video in 11 minutes compared to my 6100...it takes like 25 minutes.And in bf3 and every other game ive noticed a good 10-15 fps gain.

Solution

payturr

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012

Buddy it's not that it isn't that it's not as good for gaming, it's because that processor is 100$ more and makes like no difference in gaming xD

EchoOne

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012

True but everyone is saying OHH THE 3570K FOR GAMING lol but he clearly stated for gaming and editing :p

Exactly what I said in my last post.

He said he is editing to. The I5 is ok for small stuff but if he is doing serious work like professional video editing, video compression, or Photo editing he would be better of with the I7.

EchoOne

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012

Well for what he would be doing probably not if hes doing video editing and gaming...I got the 3820 and wow its definantly not a waste...Its definantly worth the extra $100

gigi_ro

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
i7 3820 it's a very very good cpu!if you have the cash forget about amd and grab that one...last month i was thinking to buy an i7 3820 but i streched my budget and brought the i7 3930k...coming from amd 1055t, the difference it's beyond imagination...

EchoOne

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012

Oh yeah no doubt,I would have loved to get the 3930k but i dont see a use for it for me atleast,I mean im rendering 1080p videos in less time than the video accualy is...Like a 5minute 1080p bf3 video takes about 4 minutes to render.Crazy insane coming from a 6100.

TheRLD

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013

i editing just for fun for youtube
editing call of duty

and im thinkning of going with the i7 thanks!

In my opinion, for the video editing stuff (as mentioned, the i7 brings nothing to the table of any consequence in gaming performance over the i5). Even the i5 is good enough for that kind of stuff, honestly, the i7 should only be considered if you're doing heavily threaded stuff on a professional level. You will find an i5 is quite adequately up to the challenge of light to moderate frequency of such programs.

redh4t

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2013
Go for i7 only with 2011 x79. Ivy bridge socket is dead. If u don't have enaugh money go for 8350 :) u will get great price value plus chance to upgrade. I bought i5 3570, and my friend 8350 performs the same on games, better for some and worst for some. Well I get more score on tests... But in a real world, really the same. So if I would buy pc now, I go for 8350 for sure. Save money for something else. You is 7950 vapors. I7 not worth the money. It makes sense if u play on low resoliucion and want 300 fps. But who do that.. at high res is the same. For video Intel is faster for sure, but just because of better optimization.

Go for i7 only with 2011 x79. Ivy bridge socket is dead.

What in the heck for? x79 setup would cost almost as much (if not more) then if you bought 2 systems 3 years apart, one based on the current Ivy Bridge (LGA1155), and one 3 years later (assuming you needed to) based on the upcoming LGA1150. X79 setups just don't really make sense for most people both cost and performance.

A lot of people talk about dead sockets, (end of life) and upgrade paths without much context, just to add and expound.

Yes, Intel is set to use a new socket sometime this year, but its not like if you built a system today with the current LGA1155 that as soon as Intel does your computer will be rendered effectively useless. Acura stopped making my car (RSX) in 2006.. Does that mean my 2003 model no longer operates? Don't be silly, of course not.

An Ivy Bridge LGA1155 assuming you choose the right model to meet your needs in the first place (another jab about people who talk about upgrade paths)... The system will last you 3-4 years, which is about the most extreme one should expect a computer to stay at peak usability. And again, I have computers older than that that I still use today, yes they're a little slower as software demands on the older hardware have increased, but still functional. Buy a computer or computer components for what they can do for you today rather than try to buy up on parts because you think they're more "Future proof", its cheaper and you will get better satisfaction overall in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.