Are my CPU temperatures too high?

xkochy

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
Hey guys this is my first post on the forums. Recently I built my gaming PC and I have been playing battlefield 3 alot, though my CPU temperatures seem like there a bit hot but I really don't know much about temperatures. The max temperature while playing BF3 on one of the cores is 64 degrees Celsius and when the CPU is in Idle with web browsing it gets to a maximum of 45 degrees Celsius. My graphics card hasn't came in the mail yet which is the Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor-X so I am using the HD 4000 graphics with my i5 3570k. I am using Realtemp to monitor these temperatures. Also I average 58 degrees while in BF3 and 40 degrees while in idle.

The rest of my PC Specs are;

Case - Cooler Master Haf XM with window
Power supply - Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 850w 80+ Silver
Motherboard - Asrock Z77 Extreme4
CPU - Intel i5 3570k 3.4ghz (Stock settings with stock fan)
GPU - Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor-X OC with boost (Hasn't arrived yet)
SSD - Samsung 840 120gb (Trim enabled)
Optical Drive - Samsung 24x DVD RW

So are my temperatures normal and safe? :) Should I be concerned if they are high? :(

Thankyou for your time! :D

Did you overclock the CPU at all. That is to hot for idle and playing games. It should be be in the 30's at idle and high 40s low 50's when putting the CPU underload like games.

xkochy

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
At the moment It is In the 30's
Core 0 is 24
Core 1 is 37
Core 2 is 34
Core 3 is 35

Just at spurts it goes to 45 degrees but only for a second then it drops down to the above temps. When gaming it is around the 50's just at spurts it goes the the low 60's.

That is to hot even for the stock heatsink. Did you add thermal paste yourself or just use the paste that came with the heatsink? I would check to make sure the heatsink is fully seated and the black push pins are pushed all the way through the clear female adapters.

No not really. It might be a degree or two but nothing major. Again I would do the following:

Check to make the heatsink is fully seated and seated right

Re-apply thermal paste. All you need is rubbing alcohol and a non lint cloth (coffee filters work great). Clean as much gunk off as you can with a dry coffee filter. When most of the old paste is off wet a coffee filter with rubbing alcohol and start rubbing the IHS. Repeat this step until the coffee filter comes out clean. Re-apply thermal paste with something good like MX4 or Artic Silver 5. You only need a small dot about 5-5.5 mm's (about the size of a pea.)

If that doesn't work I would get a good after market cooler like a Hyper 212.

xkochy

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
Okay I will check all those things. Though I see lots of people with the i5 3570k and stock cooler get anywhere from 34 - 40 degrees when they idle and they get 55 - 63 degrees while gaming. So if these methods don't improve my temperatures will the 60 degrees damage my CPU?

G

Intel makes very bad stock heatsinks, there was a similar thread to this where ther was an i5 and there was a high temp warning. My i5 refused to boot after I put the heatsink back on after cleaning. The plastic screws are fiddly and weak; get an aftermarket heatsink. It will probably have thermal paste included.

No it won't fry the CPU but it is still kind of hot. Cooler is always better that is why most people here get an aftermarket cooler like the Hyper212+.

unclewebb

Sep 11, 2007
Intel rates their new Ivy CPUs to run 100% reliably up to a core temperature of 105C. That's when Intel decided that enough is enough and they should start to thermal throttle and slow down but not before that temperature.

Here's my 3570K running with both the CPU and the Intel GPU fully loaded at over 100C.

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/6216/torturetest.png

The Thermal Status in RealTemp is still reporting OK because this CPU has not reached the thermal throttling limit yet.

60C is a joke for one of these CPUs so stop worrying and enjoy your computer. Why waste time and money redoing your thermal paste when it doesn't matter one bit. Intel designs their CPUs to run 100% reliably, even when they are pushed to some insane temperatures.

RealTemp T|I Edition
http://www.overclock.net/t/1330144/realtemp-t-i-edition