PSU upgrading for Inspiron660

hav new dell inspiron 660 with 300w psu I want to upgrade to more powerful. Any recommendations?
8 answers Last reply
More about upgrading inspiron660
  1. What are you upgrading?

    If your upgrading to a better graphics solution then please specify the brand and model of the graphics card.
  2. want to upgrade psu first. having hard time finding match. want to add graphics card eventually.
  3. lmb4 said:
    want to upgrade psu first. having hard time finding match. want to add graphics card eventually.

    The graphics card model needs to be known to even be able to determine the appropriate capacity power supply unit.

    Please list any models graphics cards you are considering.

    Do you have a budget range for this new power supply unit?

    Do you have any preferred online vendors that you buy from?
  4. want to find compatible psu first than ill search for graphics card. If its compatible ill consider cost whatever it is.
  5. The following PSU should have no problem running a system with a GeForce GTX 680 or a Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition graphics card:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095
  6. Or follow MSI recommendations http://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/power-requirements-for-graphics-cards
    Good brands are XFX, Seasonc, OCZ, Enermax, and Corsair, acceptable on budget are Antec and Thermaltake, the rest use on your own risk.
  7. Kisianik said:
    Or follow MSI recommendations http://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/power-requirements-for-graphics-cards
    Good brands are XFX, Seasonc, OCZ, Enermax, and Corsair, acceptable on budget are Antec and Thermaltake, the rest use on your own risk.

    If I took their PSU recommendation for:

    Radeon HD 7970 Ghz Edition - 31A and a 550W psu minimum

    and decided to run FurMark the PSU would be overloaded and shut down. The Radeon HD 7970 Ghz Edition card itself would be drawing over 28 Amps from the +12V rail leaving less than 3 Amps on the +12V rail to power the CPU and the remaining components. It just ain't gonna work.

    I'm not naive enough to assume that someone won't run FurMark or some other equivalent GPU stress testing application.
  8. ko888 said:
    If I took their PSU recommendation for:

    Radeon HD 7970 Ghz Edition - 31A and a 550W psu minimum

    and decided to run FurMark the PSU would be overloaded and shut down. The Radeon HD 7970 Ghz Edition card itself would be drawing over 28 Amps from the +12V rail leaving less than 3 Amps on the +12V rail to power the CPU and the remaining components. It just ain't gonna work.

    I'm not naive enough to assume that someone won't run FurMark or some other equivalent GPU stress testing application.



    ko888 said:


    Radeon HD 7970 Ghz Edition - 31A and a 550W psu minimum



    Minimum, means regular run, no stress benchmark, recommended would be higher of course, personally I am adding at least 50 watt and 5-6 ampers at least, more is better. I am not trying to prove or disprove anything here
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Dell Inspiron Components Product