HTPC Gaming System for the SilverStone Grandia GD08

EKuan

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2013
I am debating on purchasing the SilverStone Grandia GD08 for my first build. I will be using the computer mostly for gaming and entertainment purposes, so the HTPC design appeals to me the most. However, I have been watching install videos and there seem to be some issues with spacing when using an aftermarket cooler potentially blocking access to the optical drive's inputs. Maybe an issue with the RAM and the optical drive as well. I was hoping someone out there may have some experience with this set-up before I actually purchase the GD08. Here is a list of items I want to put in my build:

ASRock Z77 Extreme4
MSI Twin Frozr GTX 660 (May SLI at some point)
i5-3570k
G.Skills 8GB RAM RipJaws XL
Samsung 120GB SSD
Seagate 1TB HDD
LG GH-24NS90 optical drive
Powerex Black Hawk 650W PSU (I live in Seoul so I believe this is a good PSU for the area: 54.2A on the 12V and 80Plus Silver rating)
Thermolab BADA2010 Cooler (92mm fan, 135mm height)

I know HTPC set-ups aren't the ideal choice for overclocking, but I may want to push the CPU a bit as well. So, do you think heat may be an issue in the case or will the cooler and fans be able to keep things under control?

1. I need to know if anyone has any idea if all the parts will fit inside the GD08.
2. If I eventually overclock and SLI with 2 GTX 660 will there be enough room and will I be able to manage heat in the GD08.

Thank you for your time and replies - much appreciated.

sheag123

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
hi Ekuan, i have pretty much the same setup as you. all my parts fit, i have an asus 660 and it fits no problem. if you fill your case with noctua fans the heat will be manageable i think. as far as the room for 660's in sli, i would put the original 660 you have and try to put it in the two slots one after another and see if it will fit that way. i was originally going to sli my 660's but have decided against it right now. i was able to fit an h80i into my case in push pull but the rad and one of the fans are on the exterior of the case, still bolted on. if you have any questions about anything let me know. i work at a computer store so i do know a little but more beyond my own rig but i dont know everything haha.

TRENDING THREADS