Sign in with
Your question

I7 loud screeching sound

Last response: in CPUs
January 19, 2013 1:36:52 AM

Long story short, i was trouble shooting a issue and changed everything under the sun to figure out the issue in windows and bios, now that its resolved, im hearing a loud screeching noise from my I7 cpu and not sure how to fix it, i cleaned it with compressed air, pushed down on the fan to ensure it wasnt vibration between fan and cpu, i tried formatting and reinstalling windows 7 and it didnt change it. PLEASE HELP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7so8uS_n8Jg

More about : loud screeching sound

a b à CPUs
January 19, 2013 1:39:31 AM

..... it sounds like theres a cable being hit by a fan. Definitely isn't your CPU, it's something with the cooler. Either that, or CRAZY motherboard coil whine.
January 19, 2013 1:40:44 AM

payturr said:
..... it sounds like theres a cable being hit by a fan.

thats actually the first thing i thought, but i checked the cables a few times, there arent any cables hitting the fan, also the noise doesnt happen all the time, only when doing some kind of work like the video is with Borderlands 2 running.
Related resources
a c 113 à CPUs
January 19, 2013 2:01:42 AM

Most likely its just the cooler, maybe that one is defective and the fan is off balance and is clipping the heatsink underneath.
Simplest solution I can see is just replacing it.

Also if the sound only appears when gaming, the GPU fan may also be at fault.
a c 106 à CPUs
January 19, 2013 2:02:40 AM

That could very well be coil whine then, if it varies according to the work load. What brand and model is your motherboard? Could the noise be coming from your graphics card? PSU? Try to pinpoint the source.
January 19, 2013 2:22:49 AM

Onus said:
That could very well be coil whine then, if it varies according to the work load. What brand and model is your motherboard? Could the noise be coming from your graphics card? PSU? Try to pinpoint the source.

I thought it might be a coil but i dont think my mobo has any, im running an Asus sabertooth x58
January 19, 2013 2:24:07 AM

manofchalk said:
Most likely its just the cooler, maybe that one is defective and the fan is off balance and is clipping the heatsink underneath.

my issue was troubleshooting was with my video card a radeon 6870, so to hold me over i went to staples and got another radeon but it has no GPU fan its just a 80 dollar thing i can return when i get another real video card. Also i stopped the fan from running with my finger and the sound still came out so its not a friction with the fan of any kind
January 19, 2013 2:25:02 AM

manofchalk said:

I actually tested the heat coming off my cpu and gpu both are under 60c so it cant be an overheat issue sadly.
a b à CPUs
January 19, 2013 2:25:06 AM

No fan? THat could be it.
January 19, 2013 2:27:40 AM

payturr said:
No fan? THat could be it.

sadly this noise was present for my old videocard and the new one :( 
a b à CPUs
January 19, 2013 2:29:25 AM

WAIT DID YOU SAY YOU'RE USING AN X58 BOARD?
BINGO you're using an extreme edition Core i7 or similar, you CAN'T use a stock cooler for that because the stock cooler is garbage and is meant for regular Core i7's, throw that piece of junk out & replace it!
January 19, 2013 2:36:01 AM

payturr said:
WAIT DID YOU SAY YOU'RE USING AN X58 BOARD?
BINGO you're using an extreme edition Core i7 or similar, you CAN'T use a stock cooler for that because the stock cooler is garbage and is meant for regular Core i7's, throw that piece of junk out & replace it!

really? ive been using it for almost 2years now with out any issues, but even if that was the case im in a lowerlevel my room is always around 40 degrees, ive never had a heating issue especially in the winter with any of my tech lol
a b à CPUs
January 19, 2013 2:40:01 AM

Hm interesting. I mean if this just started happening it HAS to be that cooler, stock coolers are garbage, it could be slowly dying..
I would go & buy a Hyper 212 EVO & put it on, see how that works in place of it.
January 19, 2013 2:57:29 AM

payturr said:
Hm interesting. I mean if this just started happening it HAS to be that cooler, stock coolers are garbage, it could be slowly dying..
I would go & buy a Hyper 212 EVO & put it on, see how that works in place of it.

i actually was looking for a good suggestion on that, i dont think thats the issue but i was looking for a good cooling solution since now im seeing how hot the i7 runs even in my fridged room, i worry for summer sometimes. im gonna try changing the psu and see what it does then. ill keep everyone posted, thanks for all the ideas guys
a c 106 à CPUs
January 19, 2013 3:29:40 AM

Payturr must have missed that you stopped the fan and the noise persisted, ruling out the cooler as its source. If you do want a better cooler for overclocking, get a $21 Xigmatek Gaia. It cools as well as the CM (per Frostytech reviews) and is quieter.
Back to the noise, your board does have coils on it, as part of the VRM circuits. They look like small blocks, one per power phase. That whine is bad enough that you might be able to feel it with your finger. Unfortunately, there isn't a whole lot you can do about it, unless you want to RMA the motherboard.
Edit: Hmmm, I just listened to that noise again. Have you ruled out a hard drive as its source?

a b à CPUs
January 19, 2013 3:48:47 AM

I'm really curious as to what the hell is making these noises. If it isn't the cooler or the graphics cards or the board, what can it be? It can't be the hard drive, it got louder as the camera got closed to the cooler. It has to be the board.
January 19, 2013 3:50:17 AM

Onus said:
Payturr must have missed that you stopped the fan and the noise persisted, ruling out the cooler as its source. If you do want a better cooler for overclocking, get a $21 Xigmatek Gaia. It cools as well as the CM (per Frostytech reviews) and is quieter.
Back to the noise, your board does have coils on it, as part of the VRM circuits. They look like small blocks, one per power phase. That whine is bad enough that you might be able to feel it with your finger. Unfortunately, there isn't a whole lot you can do about it, unless you want to RMA the motherboard.
Edit: Hmmm, I just listened to that noise again. Have you ruled out a hard drive as its source?

Ive ruled out everthing at this point the harddrives are so far from where the noise is coming from it was never an option lol, but it is coming right around those blocks you were talking about by the cpu, im gonna have to find a way to feel around there. i just ruled out the PSU as the culprit also. idk if id rma this mobo or just replace it sigh
a b à CPUs
January 19, 2013 3:51:29 AM

It has to be either the board or the cooler. I know it sucks, but hey, maybe it's a good time to upgrade? :3
January 19, 2013 3:55:35 AM

payturr said:
I'm really curious as to what the hell is making these noises. If it isn't the cooler or the graphics cards or the board, what can it be? It can't be the hard drive, it got louder as the camera got closed to the cooler. It has to be the board.

i can tell you the whole story from start to finish, basically i was playing borderlands 2, and the sound cut out for the whole system (its happened before once or twice) so i rebooted and tried again, same thing, i plugged in a usb sound card, and changed primary devices and the sound started working again but the video for movies and games was going at like 3fps, so finally i said it had to be the sound card, i uninstal the sound card and reboot, instal it again and the system crashes, so im like thats weird, i reboot try to open borderlands 2 again, gets through the adds and right before the load game options appears, and it crashes, finally i notice that through my headphones the music i was playing and the sound from the game is still playing so the system was still running fine, finally i tried trading out the graphics card with an older cheaper one and sure enough it worked (didnt crash) but the noise is still very there. but whenever i tried to play the game on my original graphics card, this sound would come on then the graphics card would crash, 2seconds later, so now im thinking the graphics card might actually be good still.
January 19, 2013 3:57:42 AM

payturr said:
It has to be either the board or the cooler. I know it sucks, but hey, maybe it's a good time to upgrade? :3

yea it might be, any good i7 920 3.2ghz mobos out there for cheap?
a b à CPUs
January 19, 2013 4:02:53 AM

coil whine comes from psus and gpus.

cpus dont make any noise ever
a b à CPUs
January 19, 2013 4:13:04 AM

neon - motherboards do make noise, and when they do it's the WORST sound out there, debatable if GPU coil whine is worse.

ecout - No one makes new X58 boards :/  You could buy a used board, but ehh.. I think now would be an okay time to upgrade.
EDIT: FOUND SOMETHING http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
January 19, 2013 4:16:53 AM

payturr said:
neon - motherboards do make noise, and when they do it's the WORST sound out there, debatable if GPU coil whine is worse.

ecout - No one makes new X58 boards :/  You could buy a used board, but ehh.. I think now would be an okay time to upgrade.
EDIT: FOUND SOMETHING http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

lol whoa no way im paying 500 for parts that are almost 2yrs old lol, i was thinking of just a mobo that can handle what i got, i7 950 4 sticks of dimm 3 ram, i dont need anything fancy i was never over clocking to begin with i just had bad experiences with mobo's and wanted something reliable..... go figure...
a b à CPUs
January 19, 2013 4:20:33 AM

Well, that's all I could find with the same chipset & all.. Guess you'll have to upgrade, or deal with that annoying whine D:
January 19, 2013 4:24:12 AM

payturr said:
Well, that's all I could find with the same chipset & all.. Guess you'll have to upgrade, or deal with that annoying whine D:

bestbuy might have a gigabyte mobo that i can try at around 150, if i can get the other pieces of my pc to run on it ill be golden, if not then ill have to upgrade the whole damn thing, but thanks all for the help its most appreciated.
a b à CPUs
January 19, 2013 4:26:50 AM

I would highly doubt that given the age & what not, but it doesn't hurt to try! I'm glad I was able to help to some degree, good luck man :) 
January 19, 2013 6:51:19 AM

I know that sound by heart, Its the high pitch that electric currents make. Interesting that it is prevalent like it is. Whats the voltage on your
MOBO to CPU?
January 19, 2013 2:33:21 PM

realism51 said:
I know that sound by heart, Its the high pitch that electric currents make. Interesting that it is prevalent like it is. Whats the voltage on your
MOBO to CPU?

so i thought i ruled the PSU out, but after some sleep i got the bright idea of removing the PSU from the case and leaving it outside, sure enough it was the PSU making that sound not the motherboard, now the question is do i bother trying to save it or do i buy a new one the voltage is 115 right now
January 19, 2013 2:34:43 PM

neon neophyte said:
coil whine comes from psus and gpus.

cpus dont make any noise ever

neon turns out you were right, the psu is makign the noise, just as close to the mobo coils as it could ever possibly be, now the question is how do i fix
a c 106 à CPUs
January 19, 2013 3:32:00 PM

Onus said:
...Could the noise be coming from your graphics card? PSU? Try to pinpoint the source.

Well then, glad you found it. What brand and model (not just wattage) is your PSU? How old is it?

January 19, 2013 6:10:54 PM

Onus said:
Well then, glad you found it. What brand and model (not just wattage) is your PSU? How old is it?

Xion 600 watt power supply - xon-600f14T-201 is the model number
a c 106 à CPUs
January 19, 2013 6:30:14 PM

Oh, well then replace it! That appears to be a pretty fecal unit. For an i7 with a HD6870, a decent 450W-500W PSU will be comfortable; perhaps 550W if you are considering a major graphics card upgrade any time soon.
Avoid the Corsair "Builder" units, which were made by CWT, not Seasonic, using some inferior Samxon capacitors.
On a budget, this Rosewill is good: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
This Seasonic is a little better: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
January 19, 2013 8:26:41 PM

Onus said:
Oh, well then replace it! That appears to be a pretty fecal unit. For an i7 with a HD6870, a decent 450W-500W PSU will be comfortable; perhaps 550W if you are considering a major graphics card upgrade any time soon.
Avoid the Corsair "Builder" units, which were made by CWT, not Seasonic, using some inferior Samxon capacitors.
On a budget, this Rosewill is good: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
This Seasonic is a little better: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thank you very much for the advice, i actually needed this pc done so i went to staples and got a antec 550w powersupply and man not only did it fix my graphics card issue, it resolved my sound card issues as well. So happy to have a quiet PC again that sound was unbearable. Thanks to all that helped love the community on this forum
a c 106 à CPUs
January 19, 2013 9:10:43 PM

It is truly amazing how many PC problems can be traced to a bad PSU. Well, it looks like all's well that ends well. The Antec should be decent; even the "BP" units have reviewed well.
The old one isn't even worth keeping as a backup; just toss it in the grabbage. There's nothing worth saving inside it, and in any case opening a PSU can be very dangerous, as capacitors within could hold a potentially lethal charge. Just feed it to the garbage can.
January 20, 2013 2:01:27 PM

Onus said:
It is truly amazing how many PC problems can be traced to a bad PSU. Well, it looks like all's well that ends well. The Antec should be decent; even the "BP" units have reviewed well.
The old one isn't even worth keeping as a backup; just toss it in the grabbage. There's nothing worth saving inside it, and in any case opening a PSU can be very dangerous, as capacitors within could hold a potentially lethal charge. Just feed it to the garbage can.

'
i gave it a few kicks then put it in the garbage lol, thanks again
a b à CPUs
January 20, 2013 4:07:29 PM

ecout said:
neon turns out you were right, the psu is makign the noise, just as close to the mobo coils as it could ever possibly be, now the question is how do i fix

lol glad i could help. good thing you didnt try to replace the motherboard ;p
!