I recently built a new computer, $1200 budget/gaming rig, taking advice from this forum.
It ran ok for a few weeks, but recently I have been having more and more problems - random freezes, while doing various activities - surfing web, idle, gaming (diablo3), etc. No BSOD. Sometimes occurs 3 times a day, one after another, other times would not occur x 1 week.
CPU fan 1 - 2300 RPM
Power fan (case fan) - 1000 RPM
idle - 40-45 for CPU
I checked this forum for some advice, and have used Prime95.
On large fft or blend torture tests, computer freezes immediately & reboots. within 5 secs.
Steps / fixes I have taken so far:
1. updated windows
2. updated bios - v2.00
3. downloaded AVG antivirus, update & scan
4. set RAM to recommended settings - 9-9-9-24-2N, DDR3-1600, V 1.25, set manually in bios. RAM is set in A2-B2, so bios is reading it as dual-channel correctly
5. re-seated everything, motherboard / CPU / GPU / RAM, all power sources
6. Memtest86+, v4.2, ran for 6 hours (6 passes) with no errors. done via USB, after setting RAM settings as above, both sticks at same time.
7. Prime95, small fft, ran for 1 hour with no errors - temps (via realtemp)
idle temp - 28-32 C
load temp - 83-90 C
8. Moved RAM to A1-B1, same results as above
Steps I am considering:
1. Re-run small fft x 6-8 hours, if not longer
2. Upgrade the heatsink to hyper 212 evo
3. Buy additional case fans
4. Re-apply thermal paste
5. Buy new components?? I just bought all of these 1-2 months ago.
Could be a bad power supply. Though you have a quality model, they are not immune to issues. Out of spec voltage can certainly cause the issues you are having. I would see if you can throw in a spare or borrowed PSU and test. If that doesn't help, I'd start looking at an RMA for the motherboard after considering the information you've presented so far.