Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

670, 680, or 7970 for editing and gaming?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 17, 2012 3:45:42 AM

I want to know whether to go with the gtx 670, gtx 680, or hd 7970. I will be editing with Adobe After Effects CS6, Sony Vegas 11, and Cinema 4d. The games I will be playing are Crysis 2, Battlefield 3, Minecraft, and COD 4. I will be gaming on a 1920x1080 monitor. I want to get three monitors and when I do I will buy another GPU. I read somewhere that the 7970 would be better then the nvidia cards for After Effects even though the nvidia cards have CUDA. Which card would be better for me? I will be overclocking but only slightly. The CPU that I am getting (not sure if it helps at all) is the Intel Core i7 3770k.
July 17, 2012 4:28:36 AM

Any help? Oh and price doesn't matter as long as it isn't too much like a 690.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2012 4:44:39 AM

i would say the 680 here is a link:http://wpx?Item=N82E16814130801 ww.newegg.com/Product/Product.as will have to wait for it to come in stock though
Score
0
Related resources
July 17, 2012 4:49:47 AM

devilofdeaths said:
i would say the 680 here is a link:http://wpx?Item=N82E16814130801 ww.newegg.com/Product/Product.as will have to wait for it to come in stock though

that looks pretty good but will i need 4gb? Like, will it help that much?
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2012 4:53:12 AM

you dont need it but it will make everything so much faster since games use that ram a lot plus you said it was in your price range and its the fastest gpu i believe
Score
0
July 17, 2012 4:56:30 AM

devilofdeaths said:
you dont need it but it will make everything so much faster since games use that ram a lot plus you said it was in your price range and its the fastest gpu i believe

hmmmm, true...
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2012 4:57:34 AM

Not to sure about what card performs better with what software package, but would be between the 670 & 7970. Which one can you get for the least amount of money that might go towards an SSD.

670 performs slightly lower than the 680, but costs a lot less.

Score
0
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2012 5:02:02 AM

the 2gb one has good cooling and awesome speed but it will be about 5-10 frames less then the 4gb one in cod 4 because the game uses that ram so much but the frames will be high either way
Score
0
July 17, 2012 5:02:57 AM

zander1983 said:
Not to sure about what card performs better with what software package, but would be between the 670 & 7970. Which one can you get for the least amount of money that might go towards an SSD.

670 performs slightly lower than the 680, but costs a lot less.

Yea, I am getting an ssd, my build is kind of expensive (at least in my eyes) at $2,500, and that is with me already having a case and heatsink/fan. Which would work better in sli/crossfire? I am guessing at a higher resolution with the 3 monitors the 7970 would shine, but like the other guy posted, the 4gb 680 would also. sooo... i am in a pickle.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2012 5:05:50 AM

You won't need 4GB of RAM unless you are gaming at 2560x1600 with multiple monitors. The EVGA GTX 670 FTW comes with an amazing clock that puts it ahead of the stock GTX 680 and HD 7970 for much less; it also uses the GTX 680 PCB, which is longer and has a better fan that keeps it much cooler.

Plus, it has a blower fan which will help keep hot air out of your case especially if you plan to buy another one in the future.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2012 5:08:47 AM

i say either 2 7970's or 2 stock 670's or one giant 680
Score
0
July 17, 2012 5:12:04 AM

Ironslice said:
You won't need 4GB of RAM unless you are gaming at 2560x1600 with multiple monitors. The EVGA GTX 670 FTW comes with an amazing clock that puts it ahead of the stock GTX 680 and HD 7970 for much less; it also uses the GTX 680 PCB, which is longer and has a better fan that keeps it much cooler.

Plus, it has a blower fan which will help keep hot air out of your case especially if you plan to buy another one in the future.

Ok, will it get too hot? If in sli? and do you think it will look good with a red and black case and mobo? Sorry, but I want to make this thing look and run awesome! Oh and I found this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... . would that be a good deal if it stays at that price and in stock?
Score
0
a c 198 U Graphics card
July 17, 2012 5:15:02 AM

I hear that AMD cards are much better for editing. I'm no expert, but based on all of these threads I've read in the past few months, it seems like the Radeons are better at editing.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2012 5:15:47 AM

it has good cooling but a low clock speed
Score
0
July 17, 2012 5:16:29 AM

Deemo13 said:
I hear that AMD cards are much better for editing. I'm no expert, but based on all of these threads I've read in the past few months, it seems like the Radeons are better at editing.

that is what I read too.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2012 5:17:30 AM

yes but the 670 is cheaper and it has better cooling and cloch speeds
Score
0
July 17, 2012 5:18:04 AM

devilofdeaths said:
yes but the 670 is cheaper and it has better cooling and cloch speeds

hmmm, ok, but I heard that because of this, AMD was lowering all prices on 7970's
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2012 5:20:42 AM

really well time to save up some money i only got a 7850 but i digress if your going to buy it now-2 weeks down the road get the 670 unless amd ruduces them to $350 then get 2 but right now the 670's are the way to go unless you want the 680
Score
0
a c 198 U Graphics card
July 17, 2012 5:21:01 AM

Personally I would go with the AMD just based on the rumors I have heard from people around here. The GeForce cards for some reason dont seem to have as much editing capability.

All are good cards and server their purpose, but if you want the best for your needs, personally I would go for the AMD
Score
0
July 17, 2012 5:24:16 AM

devilofdeaths said:
really well time to save up some money i only got a 7850 but i digress if your going to buy it now-2 weeks down the road get the 670 unless amd ruduces them to $350 then get 2 but right now the 670's are the way to go unless you want the 680

I think I am going to just wait and see, I won't have the money for a couple months so I have plenty of time... lol
Score
0
July 17, 2012 5:25:36 AM

Deemo13 said:
Personally I would go with the AMD just based on the rumors I have heard from people around here. The GeForce cards for some reason dont seem to have as much editing capability.

All are good cards and server their purpose, but if you want the best for your needs, personally I would go for the AMD

I know you said you are no expert, but do you know how much the gpu goes into editing? Like, if I went with a 670 over the 7970, how much worse would editing/rendering be?
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2012 5:26:56 AM

ok i mean its your choice i like amd and nvidia but unless amd reduce the 7970 to 350 or below the the 670's would be my choice
Score
0
July 17, 2012 5:29:16 AM

devilofdeaths said:
ok i mean its your choice i like amd and nvidia but unless amd reduce the 7970 to 350 or below the the 670's would be my choice

ok, thank you!!
Score
0

Best solution

a c 198 U Graphics card
July 17, 2012 5:35:24 AM

DoubleJukeFTW said:
I know you said you are no expert, but do you know how much the gpu goes into editing? Like, if I went with a 670 over the 7970, how much worse would editing/rendering be?


I'm pretty good with my knowledge of the subject of graphics cards, but when it comes to work-oriented graphics I get confused to be honest. I just know and have heard that the 7970 is much better for rendering and such, but the Nvidia cards are better for gaming.

But from what I have heard, the difference between how well each renders is way more than the difference between gaming. The 7970 is pretty close to the GTX680 in gaming, where is exceeds more in editing and work oriented.

I am making the decision based on the fact that both the GTX670/680 and the HD7970 are going to do well in gaming, but for work, the 7970 is the better choice.
Share
July 17, 2012 5:37:31 AM

Best answer selected by DoubleJukeFTW.
Score
0
July 17, 2012 5:37:46 AM

Deemo13 said:
I'm pretty good with my knowledge of the subject of graphics cards, but when it comes to work-oriented graphics I get confused to be honest. I just know and have heard that the 7970 is much better for rendering and such, but the Nvidia cards are better for gaming.

But from what I have heard, the difference between how well each renders is way more than the difference between gaming. The 7970 is pretty close to the GTX680 in gaming, where is exceeds more in editing and work oriented.

I am making the decision based on the fact that both the GTX670/680 and the HD7970 are going to do well in gaming, but for work, the 7970 is the better choice.

Ok, thank you so much!
Score
0
a c 198 U Graphics card
July 17, 2012 5:44:32 AM

No problem, glad I could be of assistance.
Score
0
August 23, 2012 6:34:19 PM

Hi,

I'm new here and I understand this is a solved thread but I figured I'd give some insight for future searches from others on this subject.

The GK104 architecture is designed to focus purely on the "gaming" aspect of the GPU. Therefore, Nvidia has left the compute side out of the Kepler architecture for what seems like marketing.

Nvidia Kepler boards do have something similar to Quick Sync for video encoding called: NVEnc, which is specifically designed to encode H.264 outputs.

So from a compute and gaming standpoint, the AMD may trail a bit behind Nvidia but AMD dominates over Kepler based boards when computing. If you don't need that extra 10-20% performance that the GTX680/670 will give during gameplay (depending on what game, which board and resolution) and want to keep your compute options open, then go with the AMD 7970 or 7950. If not and you're going to strictly want the best game performance as well as encoding the videos you've recorded of your gameplay or whatnot, then go with Nvidia.

LuxMark is used to benchmark Cinema4d performance. Here is a link to some compute performance: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-680-rev...

Link to encode performance: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-680-rev...

And a link to a Battlefield 3 benchmark comparison: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-680-rev...

As for CS6, it accepts both manufactures. However, CS6 supports OpenCL which AMD has a better time handling than Nvidia. They both support it, but Nvidia focuses compute power and development to their Cuda cores. AMD 7970 will definitely out perform the GTX680 in most of CS6, until/if CS6 supports CUDA in the future.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/photoshop-cs6-gimp-...


Although, I can speak from experience that recently I had to compress and encode 1200 mp4's and all I can say is I had to go out and buy a gtx570 to take advantage of Cuda rather than the HD 6870 I was using on that machine. The included "APP" program wouldn't work for me with the newest drivers and it wouldn't work with rolled back drivers. Just about every piece of software I could find for encoding favored Cuda cores and it was extremely difficult to find a working and efficient AMD supported application. I'm sure there's some out there that I just didn't know about but I was pressed for time and reaching a deadline so the quickest route for me was to purchase an Nvidia card and get it done. I'm still curious to see how the AMD would have performed, if anybody has any experience with this please let me know. But notice that's on the older architecture of the 500 series, which is different since they support more compute operations than Kepler. If you're doing anything more demanding than video encoding then go with the AMD over the new gtx600 series.


Score
0
a c 272 U Graphics card
August 23, 2012 7:22:58 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!