confoundicator

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
<A HREF="http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=1" target="_new">Adrian's Rojak Pot</A> says that decreasing CAS Latency Time from (in my case) the default 2.5 to 2 will increase performance. So I have 2x256MB sticks of Crucial PC 2100 that both say 2.5 on the sticker. Can I decrease the latency anyway? If it doesn't work, what is the result? Instability or possibly damaged hardware?

Thanks in advance for all imparted wisdom.

120% Klipsch Fanboy!!! :cool:

endyen

Splendid
If it doesn't work, you will have to clear your bios to get your system to boot. Most brand name ram can be pushed but if you are already running your fsb above 140, it probably wont work.

confoundicator

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
Well I went ahead and changed it and my system seems stable. I completed 3DMark01SE successfully, and I'm typing this right now successfully. On to the second part of my question. Can I run my DIMM's at a quicker latency than they are rated and expect long term stability? The performance difference is really modest (like 100 3DMarks, or bungholeos, as GrapeApe likes to call them). So it's slightly faster. Slightly faster than greased lightning (and I know there are systems out there with scores almost three times as fast, but I don't care as long as my games look good). Long term reliability/stability?

confoundicator

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
And my FSB is at stock 133 (with 1533MHz Palomino).
Only BIOS stuff already tweaked is Fast CPU Command Decode set to ultra and AGP Aperture to 128 (and now CAS latency set to 2).

confoundicator

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
Thanks for the input. Incidentally, I've played Freelancer and UT2K3 with current settings and no problems or artifarts. Thanks again!

endyen

Splendid
The best place to look for extra framerates is your video card. If you have an ATI card may I suggest Rage 3d. If you go to the graphics forum, they will be happy to give you a few tweaks.
What kind of mobo are you running, there may be some gain there as well.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by endyen on 06/07/03 03:42 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

confoundicator

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
Abit KR7A with Via's KT266A chipset. 512MB of Crucial PC 2100.
Athlon XP 1800+ (palomino running at 1533MHz stock speed).
Abis Siluro GeForce4 Ti4200 64MB (also stock speed).
Audigy 2 Platinum (for what it's worth)

endyen

Splendid
Its a great board, not too tweakable though. The best for that is to grab an xp2000 and run the fsb up a bit.
On the other hand your video card has a lot to offer.It's an abit card - it was meant to tweak. It comes with a tweaker's software. Be conservative sure but remember Abit designs everything to run "a bit" faster.