Ivy Bridge Gaming Rig

FadeGFX

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
Hey, so I've been theorizing over the last few weeks on a rig I want to build at some point in the near future. It will mostly be for gaming, as well as a touch of HD video editing and hardcore Photoshop and perhaps a little bit of 3D Rendering. I intend to run a triple monitor display set up but I'll rarely use all three at once when I'm playing games. Here's the set-up I've been thinking of recently:

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K (Probably overclocked to 4.5+GHz)
Case: NZXT Phantom with USB 3.0 (Already have it.)
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz (4 x 4GB Kit)
Graphics cards: 2x Nvidia Galaxy GeForce 670 2GB graphics cards in SLI. (+ Lucid VirtuMVP with Intel 4000 Series Integrated GPU)
CPU Cooling: Corsair H80 120mm
Boot Storage: OCZ Agility 3 Series 120GB
Extra Storage: 1TB WD Green Drive
Optical drive: LG DVD-RW + Blu-Ray reader combo drive
PSU: CoolerMaster Silent Pro M2 1000W Power Supply

So here's where I need some help, I haven't really decided on a motherboard yet. I need a z77 board, obviously with preferably E-ATX form factor, although ATX is fine too. Colour scheme isn't a big deal. So far I've been thinking either the ASUS ROG Maximus V Formula, AsRock Fatal1ty Professional Motherboard or the AsRock Extreme 9.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Also; if you have any suggestions as to the components I've chosen, please share, I'm trying to keep it below the $3000 dollar mark (including peripherals and monitors.)

jacknhut

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010

You need a better cooling to get that 3770k to 4.5+ ghz without hitting 80C constantly, something the like of Corsair H100.

Drop the PSU to 750W, like the Corsair HX 750W Gold Modular, 1000W is only needed for 3 way SLI/CF

Asus Maximus V Formula is a very nice mainboard to get, I would personally pick it myself. Don't get the Extreme 9 since you don't need a PLX chip because you only use 2 way SLI. PLX chip increases latency and is designed for 3 way SLI or higher.

Change the boot storage to OCZ Vertex 4 instead of Agility 3. Agility 3 is a budget SSD using asynchronous Nand tech, if you already go for SSD, go for a fast one such as Toggle Nand like Scandisk Extreme 240 GB which is on sale at Amazon atm for 169 USD or OCZ Vertex 4.