Sign in with
Your question

New build booted outside of case, but now it wont boot

Last response: in Systems
September 4, 2012 8:08:28 AM

So I was working on a new build today and all was going good, I tested the components by hooking up the mobo, cpu, ram, and gpu up to the psu and trying to boot it up. It went to a 'no hard drive found' screen as expected, so I went on to transfer everything into my case. Once I had it all assembled the computer wouldn't start up no matter what I did, so I decided to disassemble everything and set it up outside again, but it still wouldn't turn on. The green LED on the mobo is lit up, but nothing responds at all when turning it on. I fear that I might have damages one of the components through static electricity exposure while I was putting it together, but I did have a grounding wrist band on the whole time so I'm not sure. Anyone have any ideas as to what I could do. I'm thinking it would just be best to try and RMA the mobo.
September 4, 2012 8:27:36 AM

I presume when you say nothings happening your not getting any beep codes?

Basic but worth asking - did you install the mobo stand offs?

If you had the wrist band on and used it correctly then i doubt static would be the problem, i've never bothered with a wrist band before and had no issues.

Can you provide your system specs please.
m
l
September 4, 2012 8:38:48 AM

mikerockett said:
I presume when you say nothings happening your not getting any beep codes?

Basic but worth asking - did you install the mobo stand offs?

If you had the wrist band on and used it correctly then i doubt static would be the problem, i've never bothered with a wrist band before and had no issues.

Can you provide your system specs please.

Sorry I'm a bit new to this, but by stand offs I assume you mean the little brass things that I put inside the case to mount the mobo on, if so, yes I did install them and I made sure they only lined up with the mounting holes on the mobo.

And by nothing happens I mean that I get no beep codes and nothing on the monitor I have it hooked up to. Also one thing I noticed is my mobo has a feature where pushing a button 'ram check' is supposed to make an LED flash and let me know if the ram is good or not, but this button does nothing at all, although I had never tried it before, it makes me more sure something is wrong with the mobo.

And my specs:
mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V LK
CPU: I5-3570k
GPU: AMD 7950
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w
m
l
Related resources
September 4, 2012 8:47:07 AM

Yea those are the stand offs.

Was hoping to put it down to a crappy PSU but that seems to have reasonable reviews.

When you say you connected it outside the case, did you start with the basics and add components or did you just assemble it all?

If you assembled it completely, remove the GPU and sticks of RAM and try to fire it up.
m
l
September 4, 2012 9:31:57 AM

mikerockett said:
Yea those are the stand offs.

Was hoping to put it down to a crappy PSU but that seems to have reasonable reviews.

When you say you connected it outside the case, did you start with the basics and add components or did you just assemble it all?

If you assembled it completely, remove the GPU and sticks of RAM and try to fire it up.

I put the cpu, gpu, and ram onto the mobo, I already tried removing the gpu, I'll try taking the ram out too and get back to you.
m
l
September 4, 2012 9:48:23 AM

Ok let me know, with any luck you should get a beep code for no memory, then we can move on to trying one stick then the other. if you still get no beep code it could be a problem with the mobo
m
l
September 4, 2012 10:23:38 AM

Did you correctly connect the front input connections to your motherboard?
m
l
September 4, 2012 10:32:05 AM

I would assume he has as when he built it outside it worked fine and has subsequently tried to rebuild it twice.
m
l
September 4, 2012 12:32:54 PM

SublimeOrange said:
Did you correctly connect the front input connections to your motherboard?

Likw I mentioned, I built it outside of the box, meaning I didn't use the front input at all. Although I did connect it correctly when I put it together in the box, but it wasn't working at this point anyways.
m
l
September 4, 2012 12:40:54 PM

Any update on what i suggested?
m
l
September 4, 2012 1:33:00 PM

Ok I was simply suggesting the front inputs, since even if it worked outside the case, then you tried using the case's power switch to turn if they were incorrectly plugged in would cause it NOT to turn on, you get me?
Anyway have you checked other things like the PSU may have a switch on the back? are all leads plugged in correctly?

-SublimeOrange
m
l
September 4, 2012 2:44:28 PM

two thing to check...check to see if the i\o shield for the mb tabs are to long and are shorting out the usb or netowork port.
if you installed the cpu heat sink after the quick post test see if the back plate if it metal is shorting out the mb or the heat sink if it an after market one is screwed down to tight. also have you tried clearing the cmos jumper. also look to see that you plugged the 4/8 pin eps power connector back in near the cpu and the cpu fan is plugged in. the new build oppsie check that cpu fans...usb cables and sata cables are plugged in right and you did not miss any pins or on the sata power connector bend two pins together.
m
l
!