Core i5 2500k (OC'ed to 4,5ghz) + Antec kholer 620
GTX 560 ti
8gb ram
60gb ssd
500gb hdd
ASRock mobo
Corsair TX 650w
(about 900/1000€ for everything)

This is a primariçy Intel based systems, but i could have gotten an AMD based for about 40% less of the cost.
What would be my advantage in having a full AMD gaming system? Are there benefits to pairing an AMD cpu (or rather APU) with an AMD gpu?
I understand there will be fanboys for both hardware makers, but really, what are the advantages and how would both compare performance wise (as opposed to a system with intel cpu and amd gpu or vice-versa)?

Thank you for your attention!

More about : amd intel

September 4, 2012 8:29:30 AM

AMD CPUs are cheaper than Intel, but they also perform slightly slower, bang-for-buck wise AMD almost always win because you get a decent amount of CPU power for a lot less money.

No real difference if you pair an AMD CPU with an AMD GPU, APU's you might be able to run x-fire to get a bit more performance (depending on your primary card)

At the end it comes down to budget and what toys you want. It makes more sense to go for a slightly slower, much cheaper AMD CPU and save a $100 or so. Then take that savings and put it towards a SSD or upgrading your graphics card.

I've always been an AMD fan, but as you can see my current system is powered by Intel and only because I could afford a *then* $380 CPU.
a b 4 Gaming
September 4, 2012 8:38:54 AM

I can see where this threads gonna end up going.

As mentioned, no, theres no real difference to pair an AMD CPU with AMD GPU.

What you have is a good system, i definitely wouldnt be changing it for an AMD based system.

At the end of the day, Intel has the top processors, if you want the best performance, intel is the way to go.

AMD however do make good processors still, they are just more for the budget orientated gamer IMHO.
Related resources
September 4, 2012 8:46:02 AM

VicET said:
Hello fellow Tommies and aficionados,

I built a gaming system earlier this year with these specs:
GTX 560 ti
8gb ram
60gb ssd
500gb hdd
ASRock mobo
Corsair TX 650w

This is a primariçy Intel based systems, but i could have gotten an AMD based for about 40% less of the cost.
What would be my advantage in having a full AMD gaming system? Are there benefits to pairing an AMD cpu (or rather APU) with an AMD gpu?
I understand there will be fanboys for both hardware makers, but really, what are the advantages and how would both compare performance wise (as opposed to a system with intel cpu and amd gpu or vice-versa)?

I don't get why you want to get AMD system when you already had a much faster Intel system with that overclocked i5 2500k to 4.5 ghz? At that speed, it already blew away anything AMD can offer period.

There is no additional benefits pairing AMD GPU to AMD CPU as compared to paring to an Intel CPU, you actually lose performance overall if you pair any GPU to an AMD CPU since you already got a very good intel CPU.
September 4, 2012 12:07:42 PM

thank you for your input guys.

I know the current system of good, but i might sell in a few months in favour of a laptop (i travel a lot).
I was just wondering if there were any benefits to using hardware of the same manufacturer.
I could still build a budget gaming desktop pc, but at least is good to know one's options =)
a b 4 Gaming
September 4, 2012 12:13:03 PM

Have a look into a micro atx or mini itx gaming PC if you're looking for portablility but want to keep performance.
September 4, 2012 12:27:09 PM

mikerockett said:
Have a look into a micro atx or mini itx gaming PC if you're looking for portablility but want to keep performance.

my current build is microatx (case os thermaltake armor a30).
I'd like to have mini-itx gaming pc, but i havent found any mini-itx mobos for AMD am3+ (or whichever is the latest). I'll probably use mini-itx test-bed from lian-li, they look awesome! =)

However, i would still need to carry a monitor and keyboard around, which would defeat the purpose of portability in a laptop (unless i build some form of briefcase pc).
September 4, 2012 12:30:35 PM

its like comparing GM and Ford.

both have good and bad points.
a b 4 Gaming
September 4, 2012 12:42:10 PM

Briefcase PC would be pretty cool :) 
September 4, 2012 12:49:24 PM

Think that people are generally lazy when they post these posts, or are trolling. There is 1000 posts on this forum asking the same question. Do a little searching instead of starting a new thread thatll get the same answers.
September 4, 2012 12:53:29 PM

thank you for your input vrumor, it was very helpful indeed!
a b 4 Gaming
September 4, 2012 1:13:28 PM

vrumor said:
Think that people are generally lazy when they post these posts, or are trolling. There is 1000 posts on this forum asking the same question. Do a little searching instead of starting a new thread thatll get the same answers.

I agree, and that is the way the forums here used to be, actual forums, where people had great, and sometimes heated discussions, which made the forums so excellent. People DID search, and found a lot of good information here.

But since bestofmedia took the site over, their interest moved radically away from what Tom's site was, and now drive the site strictly for hits and advertisement. The site now promotes a question and answer type of format to introduce you to the forums, and most people who come here have no interest in spending time on a forum. They just want a quick answer to simple question they could type into google and get a thousand return answers for, they are just to ignorant to realize it. But it drives hits for the site, blows the number of registered users through the roof, although most of them will never post again, and keeps the people who need to pay the bills happy.
a b 4 Gaming
September 4, 2012 1:23:25 PM

Always amuses me when people complain about companies doing what they can to make profit, it's kinda there job, no offence, but they dont really care about you not liking it.
September 4, 2012 1:37:24 PM

VicET said:

GTX 560 ti
8gb ram
60gb ssd
500gb hdd
ASRock mobo
Corsair TX 650w

Your current build is pretty solid. I wouldn't change anything really.

I have an AMD FX-8150 paired with AMD R6950(Unlocked to 6970). Prior i had an NVidia GeForce 460GTX OC paired with the same CPU. I do have to say, i do notice some differences at how the CPU responds with the GPU. the AMD GPU seems to respond a little quicker than the NVidia. The performance difference is quite substantial but i have always had problems with NVidia drivers on AMD chips. It's nothing too noticeable but i see slurring and sometimes screen tearing on video playbacks and/or animations. AMD seems to be much better at video. I do notice though a small reaction time change when i switched the cards. My CPU with the Nvidia card did have a higher CPU load, nothing drastic but a good 5-10% more than i do now with my Radeon, especially when on a game or when im rendering on Maya/3Dsmax/Unity/etc.... I know a lot of ppl say there is no difference with either AMD/NVidia or Radeon and vice versa with Intel; but in my experience i have noticed small difference.

IMHO, i'd say stick together with Manufacturers. For some reason they always have strings within their devices that help read specific sensors for temps. I.E. Asus DirectCU w/ MB and Video Cards.

EDIT: AMD APU paired with a GPU has a big boost. If you pair an A8 with a R6000/7000 series you can share the GPU, its somewhat of a hybrid Crossfire. It works pretty well. As long as you match the GPU with the APU's integrated GPU.
September 4, 2012 2:12:19 PM

Thank you mafisometal, your reply was right on spot on what i was looking for.

I will keep that in mind on my next desktop build. I didn't know the APU's integrated gpu and the dedicated GPU could pair up, but that is an awesome piece of information you've just provided.

All things said and done, i know intel cpus outperform amd in many cases, but the price-value of amd apus is unparalleled. When one finds amd and nvidia gpus with similar prices, going for a budget amd apu and gpu seems a no-brainer. One still gets great performance at a better price.
September 4, 2012 3:40:32 PM

VicET said:

GTX 560 ti
8gb ram
60gb ssd
500gb hdd
ASRock mobo
Corsair TX 650w

I used to have to make the same decision every time I decided to build a box but recently AMD made future decisions for me. They announced that they would no longer compete with Intel for future desktop business. If they don't think their CPUs are competitive, I certainly don't. To answer your question directly, AMD/ATI GPUs work as well, or as poorly, with AMD CPUs as with Intel CPUs. I've tried many over the years and have always found their drivers to be buggy so I use Nvidia exclusively.
a b å Intel
September 4, 2012 3:56:14 PM

1) I'd have to take issue on 40% less for amd system, even for a lower end cpu.
First, Let me say as to CPU performance - Not that big of an issue except for bragging rights - Both, in most cases exceed Day-to-day usage needs. System difference is primarily the diff between MB and CPUs. As for MBs you are going to get what you pay for. A $150 MB for Intel means getting a $90 AMD MB - That means lower quality and less features. For CPU a 200K for $200 would mean an AMD CPU $120. EVER thing else is the same for the given system.

2) My primary concern is the MB and chipset support, and here lies my biggest concern. AMD does not update chipset drivers as often as Intel. Intel Drivers for onboad chipsets are more mature and in some cases outperform AMDs. There is a good reason for this - Resources Money and personnel. face it a sub $5.00 stock price is NOT a good place to be (AMD $3.64 either @ or close to junk status) - NOT this is NOT amd bashing, just a Unfortunate statment of fact. And for this reason I normally do not recommend an AMD build.

PS All my systems use an AMD/ATI GPU with one exception, My latest laptop which uses a 540M GPU.
September 4, 2012 4:00:18 PM

Im going to jump in and give my $0.02.

I have loved AMD for many years. back to the single core CPU's.

My current computer has an AMD quad core CPU.

I went with AMD in hopes that they will someday be able to take the crown again.

Now, my mind is changing. AMD is not catching up and intel has and it seems will keep the CPU power crown.

I have been leaning to switch to intel because of power. But when i read that intel makes most of its chips in the USA and sells (i think) around 75% over seas but keeps making the chips in the US.

My next build (1-2 years away) will most likely be intel. More power and a USA chip is worth an extra $100-$200.
September 4, 2012 5:12:20 PM

RetiredChief said:
1) I'd have to take issue on 40% less for amd system, even for a lower end cpu.
First, Let me say as to CPU performance - Not that big of an issue except for bragging rights - Both, in most cases exceed Day-to-day usage needs. System difference is primarily the diff between MB and CPUs. As for MBs you are going to get what you pay for. A $150 MB for Intel means getting a $90 AMD MB - That means lower quality and less features. For CPU a 200K for $200 would mean an AMD CPU $120. EVER thing else is the same for the given system.

2) My primary concern is the MB and chipset support, and here lies my biggest concern. AMD does not update chipset drivers as often as Intel. Intel Drivers for onboad chipsets are more mature and in some cases outperform AMDs. There is a good reason for this - Resources Money and personnel. face it a sub $5.00 stock price is NOT a good place to be (AMD $3.64 either @ or close to junk status) - NOT this is NOT amd bashing, just a Unfortunate statment of fact. And for this reason I normally do not recommend an AMD build.

PS All my systems use an AMD/ATI GPU with one exception, My latest laptop which uses a 540M GPU.

You're definitely right about AMDs financial status. I work near one of Intel's largest facilities and recently talked with an Intel engineer. He said the common knowledge inside Intel that they (Intel) have been carrying AMD for years just to give the appearance of competition.
!