Sign in with
Your question

Looking to Upgrade Graphics Card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 17, 2012 5:10:11 AM

Greetings, I was wondering what graphics card my computer would be readily compatible with without having to buy a better power supply. You can find my exact computer and its specifications here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en...

I was looking into buying a Radeon HD 6470, 6570 or 6670, but have no idea what exactly I need to look for in order to know it will be compatible and won't need a better power supply etc.

Thanks in advance for any help.

More about : upgrade graphics card

a c 191 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
July 17, 2012 5:16:56 AM

What's your budget? You have a few options based on what you are willing to do.

If you dont want to change the power supply out, then a Radeon 6670 (cheaper option) or the 7750 (best on your power supply) would be the best choices for you.

Now if you are willing to change out the power supply, which really is not that hard (takes me on average about 10 minutes in an HP) then you could spring for some better options, but what is your pricerange?
m
l
July 17, 2012 5:22:40 AM

I just bought this computer not even a month ago, so I'm strapped for cash. My price range is basically as cheap as I can get it which is why I don't want to have to upgrade the power supply right now. I was hoping to get something for under 100, maybe even under 80 if that's possible. Any specific recommendations? Links are much appreciated.

I really appreciate the quick response.
m
l
Related resources
a c 191 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
July 17, 2012 5:25:11 AM

Under $100 is going to put you right at 6670 range.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This card would be perfect, as it has the desired GDDR5 RAM on the card. The GDDR5 is faster than the DDR3 offerings but is noticeably slower.

EDIT: Also what games are you trying to play?
m
l
July 17, 2012 5:29:40 AM

I have virtually zero experience with changing out parts in a computer. The most I've ever done is upgrade RAM which is simple as can be. Is the process pretty self-explanatory? Is there anything I should be careful of? Also, as far as drivers go, where do you go for your updated drivers? When I first booted up my new computer my display wasn't working 100% so I downloaded drivers from various sources and now get an error message from my AMD catalyst software that tells me my driver isn't functioning even though everything works fine.

I've never been a big forum kind of guy and I'm really happy to have such quick and concise answers. Thanks again. XD
m
l
July 17, 2012 5:32:18 AM

My primary concern is being able to play Guild Wars 2. Playing on max settings would be amazing, but mainly I just want to be able to play without lag even if I have to turn settings down to get there.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2012 5:37:59 AM

I upgraded my HP initially with a new GPU and PSU. It's a simple process physically and HP is an excellent website that gives you a general walkthrough and animated GIFs on how to install and swap out hardware. Give it a try.

Do a google search or youtube video on how to uninstall drivers from your computer. There are lots of helpful videos so you can have the visual. You will also need to download a program called Driver Sweeper. It can only run in safe mode in windows and removes all vestiges of old Graphics drivers after you uninstall them the first time.

sum it up.

Download Driver Sweeper
Uninstall graphics drivers from windows.
Restart in safe mode F8 is usually the command.
Run driver sweeper and remove all old graphics drivers.
Shut off computer.
Ground yourself to avoid shorts and don't work on carpeted area.
Swap out GPU. Install new drivers from AMD/Nvidia.
Profit.

It sounds a bit daunting at first but google is your best friend. Cheers.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2012 5:39:31 AM

i highly doubt that it will be lag free even with mid to low settings the 7750 would be the best but its highly unlikely that it would be lag free
m
l
a c 191 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
July 17, 2012 5:39:41 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9x097QRXeA

Here is a pretty long winded explanation on how to do it, but its pretty easy.

And "ohyouknow" you are right. I haven't seen the 7750 that low yet, which is why I recommended the 6670. I am going to have to keep that in mind though.

To Jombodolo, if you are really strapped for cash, go for the 6670, but if you can spare $20, go for it.

They both should play Guild Wars 2 well.
m
l
July 17, 2012 5:41:07 AM

Thanks so much guys, my faith in the internet community just rocketed up after this experience. Really can't tell you how nice it is to find such great help so quickly. I can't thank either of you enough.
m
l
a c 191 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
July 17, 2012 5:44:01 AM

devilofdeaths said:
i highly doubt that it will be lag free even with mid to low settings the 7750 would be the best but its highly unlikely that it would be lag free

Guild Wars 2 Minimum System Requirements*

CPU: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo 2.0 GHz, Core i3, AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 or better

GPU: NVIDIA® GeForce® 7800, ATI Radeon™ X1800, Intel HD 3000 or better (256MB of video RAM and shader model 3.0 or better)

HDD: 25 GB hard drive space required

NET: Broadband Internet connection

OTHER: Keyboard and mouse

Here is a chart that shows where graphics cards are placed in tiers:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

The 7750 has more than 5 tiers on a Nvidia 7800, while the 6670 has about 5.
m
l
a c 191 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
July 17, 2012 5:45:38 AM

Jombodolo said:
Thanks so much guys, my faith in the internet community just rocketed up after this experience. Really can't tell you how nice it is to find such great help so quickly. I can't thank either of you enough.

No problem. Any other problems you have, Tom's is pretty good with that.
m
l
!