Sign in with
Your question

Gaming pc final parts check + psu needed

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
September 4, 2012 9:08:28 AM

A few weeks ago I decided to upgrade my old pc. After some searching and asking around I've come to a decent list. I was hoping people here could give it a final look before I order the individual parts.

Windows 7
Intel Core i5-3470
Gigabyte H77-D3H
Corsair vengeance 1600ddr3 low profile
Samsung 830 128GB SSD
Samsung SataII 320GB
Sapphire HD 7870 OC 2GB
Antec Sonata Plus 550 case
Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM

The harddisk and case are from my old pc. What's still missing is a proper psu. I think a 450w psu would be enough, but not sure. I'm looking for a modular psu, preferably from a known quality brand.

Some general information:

- aiming to game at a 1920x1080 hd resolution
- not going to OC
- not going to run sli/crossfire

More about : gaming final parts check psu needed

September 4, 2012 9:24:40 AM

Gotuso said:
A few weeks ago I decided to upgrade my old pc. After some searching and asking around I've come to a decent list. I was hoping people here could give it a final look before I order the individual parts.

Windows 7
Intel Core i5-3470
Gigabyte H77-D3H
Corsair vengeance 1600ddr3 low profile
Samsung 830 128GB SSD
Samsung SataII 320GB
Sapphire HD 7870 OC 2GB
Antec Sonata Plus 550 case
Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM

The harddisk and case are from my old pc. What's still missing is a proper psu. I think a 450w psu would be enough, but not sure. I'm looking for a modular psu, preferably from a known quality brand.

Some general information:

- aiming to game at a 1920x1080 hd resolution
- not going to OC
- not going to run sli/crossfire

I understand that you want to save that SATA 2 HDD, but still that HDD even for storage is extremely slow. I would suggest you get a 1TB Seagate HDD.
For PSU, get a 550W PSU like XFX 550W one and you are good to go.
September 4, 2012 9:38:27 AM

Where are you buying from and what is your budget?

I dispute that the Samsung 320GB HDD is really slow, especially if it is just on the basis that it is a SATA 3Gb/s drive; mechanical HDDs have only just begun to fully saturate the original SATA spec.
Related resources
September 4, 2012 9:42:36 AM

Silvune said:

I dispute that the Samsung 320GB HDD is really slow, especially if it is just on the basis that it is a SATA 3Gb/s drive; mechanical HDDs don't even yet fully saturate the original SATA spec and I'm talking about drives which are SATA 6Gb/s compliant.

I didnt refer to the SATA 3 GB/s when I say the 320 GB HDD is slow. The 320 GB is slow is because of the platter density, 320 GB is very low density which increases seek time tremendously as well as read/write speed. A high density drive with 1 TB platter will have significant faster speed.
September 4, 2012 10:06:59 AM

jacknhut said:
I didnt refer to the SATA 3 GB/s when I say the 320 GB HDD is slow. The 320 GB is slow is because of the platter density, 320 GB is very low density which increases seek time tremendously as well as read/write speed. A high density drive with 1 TB platter will have significant faster speed.

+1
September 4, 2012 10:20:05 AM

450W would be enough, but would be cutting it quite fine. I recommend 600-650W for a single card rig, that will give you plenty of headroom.
Corsair Enthusiast 650M, 80+ Bronze semi-modular. 100 Euro
http://azerty.nl/8-1073-434465/corsair-enthusiast-serie...

Though this is a good alternative if the Corsair is a bit expensive.
XFX Core 550W, 80+ Bronze non-modular. 66 Euro
http://azerty.nl/8-1073-398419/xfx-core-edition-pro550w...

I would maybe use that HDD as a backup drive, wouldn't put anything you would access frequently on it, or anything important given its probable age.
September 4, 2012 10:20:38 AM

Silvune said:

I dispute that the Samsung 320GB HDD is really slow, especially if it is just on the basis that it is a SATA 3Gb/s drive; mechanical HDDs have only just begun to fully saturate the original SATA spec.

I'll most likely search for the cheapest/reliable website using http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/ . But most likely I will buy it from http://azerty.nl/ .

As for the HD, I don't really have that much budget left for a new HD. I've already gone over my budget with that list. I might replace it later, but for now I'm relying on the ssd to give me some additional speed.
September 12, 2012 10:21:31 PM

Well right now I'm looking at the following 5 psu's:

XFX Pro 550W - 60€
PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 500W - 70-75€
Antec HCG-520M - 83€
Corsair Enthusiast TX550M - 78€
Seasonic M12II 520W - 80€

A few of these power supplies look like over kill to me but the prices are pretty similar that I included them anyway. Basically I looked for reliable brands with a preference for modular psu's.

Based on these prices, what would be a good value for money purchase?
September 12, 2012 10:48:12 PM

A system with a 7850 on a high quality 450W PSU would not be cutting it fine. Maybe unless you are running Furmark or some other very power hungry program.

The XFX ProSeries 550W Core Edition is not modular btw.
The Antec HCG-520M and PC Power & Silencer MK III 500W (and the XFX 550W in fact) are all based on the Seasonic M12II Bronze 520. The only distinguishing feature is that the Antec unit has a 3 year Warranty, while the others have 5 years. So unless the warranty is important to you then there is no other reason that I'm aware of as to why any of them should be more expensive than the other, so you should get the cheapest of them, if you decide to go for one of them.

The Corsair TX550M isn't worth getting as this unit uses the same design but is cheaper (again, maybe unless Corsair's warranty is worth ~€20 more to you):
Adata HM 550W (€60)
http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/274484/adata-hm-550.html
!