Sign in with
Your question

Replacing a GTX 285

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 17, 2012 6:57:57 AM

I've recently acquired a little bit of money and I've been looking to replace my GTX 285; not because it can't run games on max settings anymore - but because it requires the card running on full load (aka 90 degree temps with full fan or 104 degree temps with 60% fan). Anyway, I somewhat hastily ordered a GTX 550 TI before I realized that I was downgrading. My current plan is to send it back when it arrives and buy a new video card to replace my GTX 285 along a few criteria:

1. It's DX11 compatible

2. It consumes less power than my GTX 285

3. It runs at reasonable temperatures under full load

4. It has 2gb of RAM or more

5. It's as good or better than my GTX 285

6. It's $250 or less

Right now, I'm favoring this card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... but I'm open to suggestions if anyone has them. Also, are there any logistical issues involved with switching to a PCI Express 3.0 x16 card, or switching to an AMD card from an Nvidia card?

Hardware wise, I'm on an ASUS P6T with an i7 920 at base clock and an 800 watt power supply.

More about : replacing gtx 285

July 17, 2012 7:06:01 AM

That looks good, but it's $30 more without a rebate card and I don't see anything about a shader clock with that card. I also see that it's a bigger card with a lower core clock value. Could you explain the appeal to me, please? Just to clarify, I'm not being sarcastic, I'm just a little new to video cards and I don't fully understand what makes one more desirable than another aside from temperature, power consumption and the ability to run a game smoothly.
Related resources
July 17, 2012 8:01:58 AM

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/549?vs=518

The 570 is only marginally faster than the 7850, on average about 10%, which is certainly nice, but it's also more expensive and uses much more power and produces way more heat. However, if heat and power are not an issue then yes, the recent price drop in the 570 makes it an excellent buy.

I would recommend waiting, however, until the 660Ti comes out next month (hopefully), at which point card prices will probably shift down a little more for the 78xx series cards.
a b Î Nvidia
July 17, 2012 8:05:28 AM

August 17th ;) 
July 17, 2012 8:08:41 AM

amuffin said:
August 17th ;) 

Win.
July 17, 2012 12:05:05 PM

claysm said:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/549?vs=518

The 570 is only marginally faster than the 7850, on average about 10%, which is certainly nice, but it's also more expensive and uses much more power and produces way more heat. However, if heat and power are not an issue then yes, the recent price drop in the 570 makes it an excellent buy.

I would recommend waiting, however, until the 660Ti comes out next month (hopefully), at which point card prices will probably shift down a little more for the 78xx series cards.

Heat, power and price are all fairly big issues for me. Bigger than performance at the moment, anyway. Like I mentioned in the original post I'm capable of playing pretty much everything I want at max settings on my GTX 285 as it is, it's just that it gets too hot to use practically in this hot weather. Bearing those things in mind, I think I'm gonna stick to my guns and order the 7850 shortly (I'm kinda impatient and would rather have a newer card sooner rather than later since it seems like with PC upgrades there's always some reason to wait).

Back to my other question, though, there's no hardware compatibility issues, right? Also, do I have to do anything special about wiping my Nvidia drivers or picking up AMD ones?

Edit: For the forseeable future I'm going to be playing games on a 1920 x 1080 resolution and I can go back to overclocking my i7 to 3.8ghz if there's a good reason for it. I imagine with a small overclock on either card I should be able to run just about anything on ultra with 60 FPS at least until I can afford something better.
a b Î Nvidia
July 17, 2012 12:31:43 PM

Radeon 7850, period, but as the other's have said, wait for a month for the 660ti and hopefully price shift on the mid-range segment.
!