recently, my friends came over for a visit and used my computer. he signed in
on msn messenger and had unread mails. he did not read them.

my problem is...when ever i start my computer now, at the login page i now
see my user name with 122 unread mails. obviously from my friend's account.
how do i get rid of that message?

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=304148
Overview of the Mail Notification Display on the Windows XP Welcome Screen
Line #100 - Disable Mail on Welcome Screen

You can download and install *TweakUI for XP*
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/default.mspx

Remove the .NET Credentials [Stored User names and Passwords]
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/StoredPasswords.htm