Is my Athlon L335 (and laptop) Fake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I have a HP dm3 laptop with an AMD Athlon X2 Neo processor which generates excessive heat, probably as much as a 40 inch LCD television that's been used for hours. The performance is low; it has trouble opening and closing windows and heats up in about 5 minutes. Sometimes it even shuts down due to the CPU being over 90º degrees when I'm only web bowsing. It produces an excessive amount of noise and the battery only lasts about 2 hours. Reviewers tested this laptop; it went on for 4 hours looping a HD video. In CPU-Z the socket is AM2 but all the websites say different. The websites say the codename is Congo; on CPU-Z it shows nothing in that category. The voltage is 0.925V. I need to replace this laptop fast. I am so frustrated because of the LOW performance and I had to pay $1000 for this! Can anyone help?

Thank you in advance

Solution
Well, the good news is that you did not waste your own money on that laptop. I would simply buy a new laptop and trash the on HP dm3 laptop you currently have. Naturally, you should backup the data you want to save.

Which laptop you should buy depends on what you want to do with it and how much you want to spend. For something small and light weight you might consider an Ultrabook, but the trade of is a slightly less powerful CPU, limited storage space (because SSD capacity is small compared to hard drives) and it will be a little more expensive than your average laptop. For a reliable laptop in general, I recommend the Lenovo ThinkPad T series which is the backbone / workhorse of the ThinkPad business laptop family. There's also the...

timil

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
It's not fake, laptop always produce excessive heat, it's probably a poorly designed ventilation system. Or it's clogged up. How long ago did you purchase this laptop? That's a fairly outdated mobile platform.

G

A family member bought this in 2010. This is my main; my i5 is for heavy work only as it takes 5-10 minutes to boot. And the laptop produces so much heat that it left a giant mark on my very expensive table. I searched for this laptop, however it apparently does not exist but this laptop is a series and the most similar laptop has 4GB of DDR2 and costs 400 euro (about $600) while this one only has 2GB and cost over $1000. Also the processor specs (L335) do not match the ones on the website and the codename is supposed to be Congo however there is no codename for my laptop. I will post links and extra info once I get on a PC.

G

I didn't buy it, a family member did. And they thought this was value for money and could outperform a P4 when even an Atom is much faster than this. Atom can multitask and this can not. Thanks for your input but I need to replace my laptop quickly so please help

DaapENT

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
Other causes of excessive power drainage and weird actions by any online device could be that someone else is using it while your not from some distant place. Have you actually had it checked out by somebody? I pray not geek squad.

G

The laptop was like this when it was new. Even with Internet off. I can't return it, it's too old and the fake metal is peeling off and I do not know where the person got it from. I need an excuse to get rid of this because even if it's mine. They think it's a GOOD laptop and I'm wasting my money. I've still no answer to why the processor specs do not match the official ones and there are blanks in CPU-Z. And still no answer to why this model with this specs do not exist but there is a much cheaper version with twice the RAM. And did I mention there was NO graphics driver for the HD3200 integrated graphics? So I installed it manually.

AMD Athlon Neo X2 L335 specs
http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Athlon-Neo-X2-L335-Notebook-Processor.33956.0.html
My L335 is a bit different. It has a AM2 Socket, no codename, 200MHz FSB, higher TDP (I can't remember how much) and lower max temperature.

HP dm3 series
http://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-Pavilion-dm3-Series.23579.0.html
I could not find a laptop that matched my laptop's specs but found a cheaper and better variant. Mine had 2gb ddr2 but a cheaper one had 4gb ddr2 or ddr3.

Sorry for bad grammar. I am writing on a mobile device.

G

Hmm... Reasonable although I already tried that. They were like "WOW! This can beat dual P4s HT'd at 3GHz! Even by today's standards this is breathtaking performance! You should use it for AT LEAST 5 more years!" And they were upset every time that I mentioned that the laptop was unusable. They think the laptop is PERFECTLY FINE and that it is QUIET. Thank you for your help Sir!

So I guess I will have to wait at least 6 months... That's fine. Or I could spend my money instead on a P4 system with an old AGP graphics card and show them that it's much better.

But I still do not know why the specs of the CPU are different...

Well, the good news is that you did not waste your own money on that laptop. I would simply buy a new laptop and trash the on HP dm3 laptop you currently have. Naturally, you should backup the data you want to save.

Which laptop you should buy depends on what you want to do with it and how much you want to spend. For something small and light weight you might consider an Ultrabook, but the trade of is a slightly less powerful CPU, limited storage space (because SSD capacity is small compared to hard drives) and it will be a little more expensive than your average laptop. For a reliable laptop in general, I recommend the Lenovo ThinkPad T series which is the backbone / workhorse of the ThinkPad business laptop family. There's also the more portable X series with screens as small as 12.5" and goes up to 14".

Solution
G

Thanks. I want to buy the T61 ThinkPad but I would rather build a desktop as I want to keep the dm3 for travel. However I will never buy from HP again.

Status
Not open for further replies.