Sign in with
Your question

Excess Thermal Paste?

Last response: in Components
January 19, 2013 5:20:34 AM

Good evening!

Was building my computer today with a friend and I was installing a hyper 212 evo cooler. I put a bit too much thermal paste (maybe 2 peas worth instead of 1), and when i pressed the cooler down on the processor, a tiny bit came out from between the cooler and the CPU and became visible. It didnt touch anything else, it just became visible. However, a very minuscule and extremely hard to notice amount dropped on the pcb of the CPU (top side, not near the pins).

My question is, should I worry about this? or am I fine?

Thank you in advance for any help.

More about : excess thermal paste

January 19, 2013 7:35:53 AM

Bump, really need help guys.
m
l
Related resources
January 19, 2013 9:36:17 AM

I would remove the cooler and clean it with 98% alcohol solution and reapply the only thing worse then applying to much thermal paste is applying none...

Too much thermal paste acts as a poor conductor of heat.
m
l
January 19, 2013 10:04:01 AM

Unless you are overclocking i wouldn't bother reapplying the thermal paste to be honest, you may see a few degrees increase with that amount of thermal paste but really with that cooler it should not be a problem.
m
l
January 19, 2013 4:45:32 PM

Thanks for the responses guys, I really appreciate it.

I'm not as worried for the temperature as much as I'm worried about something being damaged. I just want to be assured that it'll be fine.
m
l
January 19, 2013 6:35:13 PM

As long as the paste hasn't squeezed under he CPU you should be fine.
m
l
January 19, 2013 7:13:43 PM

There isnt a chance of the compound heating up and dripping or moving around or anything of that nature?
m
l
!