Sign in with
Your question
Solved

$1k 1st build for GW2

Last response: in Systems
September 4, 2012 3:22:51 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: within 2 weeks

Budget Range: around $1000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: guild wars 2, other mmorpgs, streaming media

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: All, starting from scratch

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: cheapest

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: not sure. better performance on GW2 is a +

Overclocking: NO

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe in the future

Your Monitor Resolution: 37" samsung hdtv 1080p

Additional Comments: Looking for a mid tower that will be unobtrusive under a tv, easy to put together and upgrade

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I tried to play GW2 on my 3 year old laptop. It runs, but just barely. As much as I like gaming on a laptop, I can't afford to buy a new one every couple years. Also, as a side benefit I'd like to set up a media server to stream music and video to other devices in the house.

More about : 1st build gw2

September 4, 2012 3:26:02 PM

1k is more than you need to spend to get good performance in GW2, just so you know. But I can build a computer that can kick any game's butt at that price range.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gx3U
September 4, 2012 3:31:54 PM

Crap.. I forgot a hard drive lol. Gimme a couple minutes to re-work it.
Related resources

Best solution

September 4, 2012 3:34:10 PM
September 4, 2012 3:43:04 PM

Thanks nekulturny. $1000 is my max. I'd rather spend less now and upgrade later, rather than paying for overkill for my current needs.
September 4, 2012 7:19:31 PM

Do I need to buy a separate CPU cooler?
September 4, 2012 9:20:06 PM

not really. you cant overclock anyways so the stock fan is fine. if you do want one just for quieter operation or lower temps, a hyper tx3 should be good for your usage
September 4, 2012 11:33:00 PM

justagirl said:
Do I need to buy a separate CPU cooler?

Negative. In your form, you said you didn't want to overclock, although I'm a firm believer in buying a CPU that does support overclocking as its one of the main advantages of building your own vs buying a pre-built, neither the mobo nor CPU I recommended support overclocking. Hence, no need for anything more than the CPU cooler that comes with the i5 processor.
September 4, 2012 11:59:54 PM

nekulturny said:
Crap.. I forgot a hard drive lol. Gimme a couple minutes to re-work it.

LOL Thats happened to me too
September 5, 2012 12:14:04 AM

it works for me guerrero. you click some random buttons in the narrow down list
September 6, 2012 9:59:36 PM

Best answer selected by justagirl.
September 7, 2012 5:10:44 PM

so i'm going with nekulturny's build with the gpu downgrade. my followup question is about cases.

The space I'm working with is vertically limited. The TV stand looks something like this: http://www.chinarack.com/pid84789/chrome+tier+rack.htm A wire rack with about 16" of clearance between the shelves and a few inches between the bottom shelf and the floor. I need to put the computer on the bottom shelf.

My question is, is there a vertical case that will accommodate this build and also fit in this space? As an alternative to a vertical arrangement, can I lay any tower horizontally given the open space under the bottom shelf?
!