Will WoW auto adjust to new video card?

I just changed my video card from ATI 9600 to ATI 850 PRO. Will WoW
automatically notice the improvement and adjust? When I hit the 'default'
button the settings are very low...for a $300 video card. If it does not
auto adjust, I am not sure how high to set things. Rest of my system is 512
Meg and Athlon 2600 CPU. Thanks.
21 answers Last reply
More about will auto adjust video card

    Spam Sux wrote:
    > I just changed my video card from ATI 9600 to ATI 850 PRO. Will WoW
    > automatically notice the improvement and adjust? When I hit the 'default'
    > button the settings are very low...for a $300 video card. If it does not
    > auto adjust, I am not sure how high to set things. Rest of my system is 512
    > Meg and Athlon 2600 CPU. Thanks.

    Just delete your config.wtf file in the WTF directory and it will be
    created again. Make a backup of this file just in case.

    Thomas
    --
    Life is like a videogame with no chance to win - ATR

    "Spam Sux" <nope@none.com> wrote in message
    >I just changed my video card from ATI 9600 to ATI 850 PRO. Will WoW
    > automatically notice the improvement and adjust? When I hit the 'default'
    > button the settings are very low...for a $300 video card. If it does not
    > auto adjust, I am not sure how high to set things. Rest of my system is
    > 512
    > Meg and Athlon 2600 CPU. Thanks.

    As far as I can tell, WoW has no "test" to set your video settings per
    machine performance.

    Bump the settings up to very high, then start backing it off till you find
    it performing with no choppiness. I have yet to meet anyone (who I know &
    is honest) that has a machine that does not get choppy in IF, so keep that
    in mind, but think about 40 player raids. You will be able to go higher
    but not as high as you think you should with an expensive video card. The
    850 is only one generation from the 9600, but it is still a huge jump in
    most games. Another 512 meg of RAM will go a long way.

    WoW seems to like to constantly read/write to the hard drive in crowded
    areas, no matter how much RAM is available or how fast a CPU. It is truly
    not a well designed game in that respect. Other games like CoH, SWG have
    IMO much better graphics with BETTER performance. In SWG in Coronet in the
    early months of the game there were hundreds of people hanging out & there
    was less choppiness than in WoW's IF. SWG USED THE RAM.

    A friend of mine claims that it's the programming language that Blizzard
    used that is the culprit & it can't be fixed.

    "Spam Sux" <nope@none.com> wrote in message
    >I just changed my video card from ATI 9600 to ATI 850 PRO. Will WoW
    > automatically notice the improvement and adjust? When I hit the 'default'
    > button the settings are very low...for a $300 video card. If it does not
    > auto adjust, I am not sure how high to set things. Rest of my system is
    > 512
    > Meg and Athlon 2600 CPU. Thanks.

    Get yourself another 512mb ram, that will make a huge difference.

    "Thomas J. Boschloo" <nospam@hccnet.nl> wrote in message
    > Spam Sux wrote:
    >> I just changed my video card from ATI 9600 to ATI 850 PRO. Will WoW
    >> automatically notice the improvement and adjust? When I hit the 'default'
    >> button the settings are very low...for a $300 video card. If it does not
    >> auto adjust, I am not sure how high to set things. Rest of my system is 512
    >> Meg and Athlon 2600 CPU. Thanks.
    >
    > Just delete your config.wtf file in the WTF directory and it will be
    > created again. Make a backup of this file just in case.

    I wonder what WTF stands for.

    In article <fZCdnUu8utITQYfeRVn-qg@comcast.com>,
    "Bruin" <bruinwarBLAH@BLAHexcite.com> wrote:

    > As far as I can tell, WoW has no "test" to set your video settings per
    > machine performance.

    Hitting <control-R> will give you your current frame rate, but it
    won't help you optimize your settings.

    --
    Joe Claffey | "Make no small plans."
    indianajoe3@comcast.net | -- Daniel Burnham

    > Bruin wrote:
    > <snip>
    >> WoW seems to like to constantly read/write to the hard drive in crowded
    >> areas, no matter how much RAM is available or how fast a CPU. It is
    >> truly not a well designed game in that respect. Other games like CoH,
    >> SWG have IMO much better graphics with BETTER performance. In SWG in
    >> Coronet in the early months of the game there were hundreds of people
    >> hanging out & there was less choppiness than in WoW's IF. SWG USED
    >> THE RAM.
    >
    > My theory is that every player has a lot of different visible items it
    > can wear. These items must be loaded from harddisk. helmet, gloves,
    > belt, shoes, pants, cloak, chest (and more) -> ~10 items for each
    > player. There might be 40 (visible) players in IF (with lots of
    > different items) -> ~400 disk reads. If you hd access time is 8ms ->
    > 3200 ms of loading.
    >
    > Same with mobs, animated moves, battle effects, buff effects, pets.

    Hmmm could be part of it, but these other games have lots of different
    requirement also.

    >> A friend of mine claims that it's the programming language that Blizzard
    >> used that is the culprit & it can't be fixed.
    >
    > I think it isn't the language. (C++, most games are written in C++ AFAIK)

    Gonna have to get back to you on this. My friend specifically named the
    language (not C++) that Blizzard used & in his opinion, that programming
    language is what the basic performance issues in WoW is caused by.
    Personally I am unsure.

    One would think that RAID-0 would help... think I will start a thread on
    that. In the WoW forums I remember reading a bunch of posts where people
    had issues with RAID-0.

    Bruin wrote:

    > "Thomas J. Boschloo" <nospam@hccnet.nl> wrote in message
    >
    >> Bruin wrote:
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >>> WoW seems to like to constantly read/write to the hard drive in crowded
    >>> areas, no matter how much RAM is available or how fast a CPU. It is
    >>> truly not a well designed game in that respect. Other games like CoH,
    >>> SWG have IMO much better graphics with BETTER performance. In SWG in
    >>> Coronet in the early months of the game there were hundreds of people
    >>> hanging out & there was less choppiness than in WoW's IF. SWG USED
    >>> THE RAM.
    >>

    >> My theory is that every player has a lot of different visible items it
    >> can wear. These items must be loaded from harddisk. helmet, gloves,
    >> belt, shoes, pants, cloak, chest (and more) -> ~10 items for each
    >> player. There might be 40 (visible) players in IF (with lots of
    >> different items) -> ~400 disk reads. If you hd access time is 8ms ->
    >> 3200 ms of loading.
    >>
    >> Same with mobs, animated moves, battle effects, buff effects, pets.
    >>

    > Hmmm could be part of it, but these other games have lots of different
    > requirement also.

    I know because I was subscripted to Game Developer for a year and they
    asked that video cards had more than 4mb for textures. Lots of different
    items equals lots of different textures.

    I was thinking about a raid where you may only wear (the same) epic
    sets. That should improve performance a bit IMO.

    >>> A friend of mine claims that it's the programming language that Blizzard
    >>> used that is the culprit & it can't be fixed.
    >>

    >> I think it isn't the language. (C++, most games are written in C++ AFAIK)
    >

    > Gonna have to get back to you on this. My friend specifically named the
    > language (not C++) that Blizzard used & in his opinion, that programming
    > language is what the basic performance issues in WoW is caused by.
    > Personally I am unsure.

    LUA? The script language? Just need a fast processor for this.

    > One would think that RAID-0 would help... think I will start a thread
    > on that. In the WoW forums I remember reading a bunch of posts where
    > people had issues with RAID-0.

    RAID stripping won't help you cut down your head relocation times. It
    will only load the data faster if it is continual on the disk. If the
    head needs to move, they need to move on both disk.

    Thomas
    --

    > Bruin wrote:

    > RAID stripping won't help you cut down your head relocation times. It
    > will only load the data faster if it is continual on the disk. If the
    > head needs to move, they need to move on both disk.

    Well, the textures.mpq and model.mpq files are about 800mb combined...maybe buy
    another gig of ram and make a 1gb ram drive...

    "Bruin" <bruinwarBLAH@BLAHexcite.com> wrote in message

    > "Spam Sux" <nope@none.com> wrote in message
    >>I just changed my video card from ATI 9600 to ATI 850 PRO. Will WoW
    >> automatically notice the improvement and adjust? When I hit the 'default'
    >> button the settings are very low...for a $300 video card. If it does not
    >> auto adjust, I am not sure how high to set things. Rest of my system is
    >> 512
    >> Meg and Athlon 2600 CPU. Thanks.
    >
    > As far as I can tell, WoW has no "test" to set your video settings per
    > machine performance.
    >
    > Bump the settings up to very high, then start backing it off till you find
    > it performing with no choppiness. I have yet to meet anyone (who I know &
    > is honest) that has a machine that does not get choppy in IF, so keep that
    > in mind, but think about 40 player raids. You will be able to go higher
    > but not as high as you think you should with an expensive video card.
    > The 850 is only one generation from the 9600, but it is still a huge jump
    > in most games. Another 512 meg of RAM will go a long way.

    I agree. This is the best way to determine good graphics running. And you
    don't want to be in the middle of said 40 player raid and realise you *need*
    to lower graphics settings for the game to run without any GPU lag.

    Good things to look out for (to disable for petter game performance) that
    will use more of your GPU power are V-Sync and Anti-aliasing.

    I have an XFX 7800GT and I need to disable V-sync on nearly all games. But
    then I usually run at 1600x1200 with everything else super high (4-8x AA
    etc).

    Draw distance can also be another GPU intensive...uhm...thing. Try turning
    that down if you still notice jumpiness.

    Best thing to do is the play the game with nothing running in the
    background, play it for a couple of hours, maybe hop into a realm that's
    very heavy (ie., full of players) and go to a popular inn. Standing in a
    field somewhere, on your own, and just playing with the graphics settings
    won't give you too great an idea on how far you can push your card.

    At the end of the day, WoW isn't too graphics-intensive. My brother now has
    my old HIS 9600XT and plays the game with everything on high - and I think
    1024x7xxx or 1280x1024 or something. But I don't know if he's ever played
    where there are lots and lots of people...

    > WoW seems to like to constantly read/write to the hard drive in crowded
    > areas, no matter how much RAM is available or how fast a CPU. It is
    > truly not a well designed game in that respect. Other games like CoH,
    > SWG have IMO much better graphics with BETTER performance. In SWG in
    > Coronet in the early months of the game there were hundreds of people
    > hanging out & there was less choppiness than in WoW's IF. SWG USED THE
    > RAM.
    >
    > A friend of mine claims that it's the programming language that Blizzard
    > used that is the culprit & it can't be fixed.

    On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 18:51:56 +0200, "Thomas J. Boschloo"
    <nospam@hccnet.nl> wrote:

    >> One would think that RAID-0 would help... think I will start a thread
    >> on that. In the WoW forums I remember reading a bunch of posts where
    >> people had issues with RAID-0.
    >
    >RAID stripping won't help you cut down your head relocation times. It
    >will only load the data faster if it is continual on the disk. If the
    >head needs to move, they need to move on both disk.

    Care - starting to smell BS here - would you please elaborate

    RAID-0 does not make your HD head move faster - it just looks faster.
    If data is all on one disk in contiguous area then 1 disk will be
    quick - but RAID-0 should still be marginally quicker - as the seek
    time will be the same (single disk takes 8ms to find start - each disk
    in RAID-0 takes 8ms to find start of its bit), but RAID-0 should be
    able to read its info in quicker (each disk only has to read half the
    total info and work in parallel). So assuming both are contiguous (and
    you dont overlaod the bus) - the RAID should still be faster.

    In Reality - the more fragmented the file - the faster RAID should be
    relative to single disk.

    Correct?
    Cheers

    what about upgrading from ATA to S-ATA? will that help (much). im
    running a ATI9800 SE, 1 gb ram on a 2,4Ghz CPU and wanna know what to
    upgrade first. I thought about a ATI X800 or so... but if its because i
    only use 1 HDD (ATA) i should upgrade this first ;-)

    UFO <ufo@nospam.jxx> stared blankly into space for a short while
    before writing:
    > "Spam Sux" <nope@none.com> wrote in message
    >> I just changed my video card from ATI 9600 to ATI 850 PRO. Will WoW
    >> automatically notice the improvement and adjust? When I hit the
    >> 'default' button the settings are very low...for a $300 video
    >> card. If it does not auto adjust, I am not sure how high to set
    >> things. Rest of my system is 512
    >> Meg and Athlon 2600 CPU. Thanks.
    >
    > Get yourself another 512mb ram, that will make a huge difference.

    I couldn't agree more. We doubled my friend's system from 512 to 1024mb
    RAM and the difference was astounding.

    --
    Doc

    On 2005-09-04 16:59:57 +0200, "Bruin" <bruinwarBLAH@BLAHexcite.com> said:

    > "Thomas J. Boschloo" <nospam@hccnet.nl> wrote in message
    >> I think it isn't the language. (C++, most games are written in C++ AFAIK)
    >
    > Gonna have to get back to you on this. My friend specifically named
    > the language (not C++) that Blizzard used & in his opinion, that
    > programming language is what the basic performance issues in WoW is
    > caused by. Personally I am unsure.

    WoW is written in C++, best proof is when the game crashes, the log
    includes the name of the source file (e.g. File:
    C:\build\buildWoW\WoW\Source\Ui\ChatFrame.cpp) which always has a .cpp
    extension, pointing at a C++ source file.

    I think your friend is talking about the scripting laguage for the mods
    (LUA), which are indeed prevented from doing random file and memory
    access for security measures. Disabling all mods doesn't solve the lag
    issues however and since the texture loading and caching is handled by
    the main game engine (which is written in C++).

    to other recent MMORPGs, the amount of polygons is definitely lower,
    but the amount of objects onscreen is higher (which they can do because
    their objects have lower poly counts), resulting in much more textures
    that are needed. This is not an excuse of course to let this part of
    their code slip but it explains it a bit...
    --
    http://www.new-roots.com/
    Nerghal - Undead Warlock lvl 60 - Bloodscalp EU

    Grant wrote:
    > "Thomas J. Boschloo" <nospam@hccnet.nl> wrote in message
    >
    >>Bruin wrote:
    >

    >>RAID stripping won't help you cut down your head relocation times. It
    >>will only load the data faster if it is continual on the disk. If the
    >>head needs to move, they need to move on both disk.
    >>

    > Well, the textures.mpq and model.mpq files are about 800mb combined...maybe buy
    > another gig of ram and make a 1gb ram drive...

    Or a 1Gb video card of course..

    Thomas
    --

    Justin Thompson wrote:
    > On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 18:51:56 +0200, "Thomas J. Boschloo"
    > <nospam@hccnet.nl> wrote:
    >

    >>>One would think that RAID-0 would help... think I will start a thread
    >>>on that. In the WoW forums I remember reading a bunch of posts where
    >>>people had issues with RAID-0.
    >>
    >>RAID stripping won't help you cut down your head relocation times. It
    >>will only load the data faster if it is continual on the disk. If the
    >>head needs to move, they need to move on both disk.
    >>

    > Care - starting to smell BS here - would you please elaborate
    >
    > RAID-0 does not make your HD head move faster - it just looks faster.

    That is what I said! Head positioning times are a killer in WoW IMO.
    Raid 0-5 doesn't solve that at all. Maybe if you copy all the texture
    and animation models to the nul device like Grant said it would remain
    in memory when you play.

    Thomas
    --

    Max wrote:
    > what about upgrading from ATA to S-ATA? will that help (much). im
    > running a ATI9800 SE, 1 gb ram on a 2,4Ghz CPU and wanna know what to
    > upgrade first. I thought about a ATI X800 or so... but if its because i
    > only use 1 HDD (ATA) i should upgrade this first ;-)

    This doesn't help at all. And your mobo might not support S-ATA.

    ATA is normally 100 or 133 something where S-ATA is 150. But even UDMA
    66 would perform the same as what you have now I guess (most cd modern
    players use this speed).

    You will need a special cable to do 100 or 133 UDMA.

    HD cache size might be more important (8mb).

    Thomas
    --
    Life is like a videogame with no chance to win - ATR

    >>> I think it isn't the language. (C++, most games are written in C++ AFAIK)

    >> Gonna have to get back to you on this. My friend specifically named
    >> the language (not C++) that Blizzard used & in his opinion, that
    >> programming language is what the basic performance issues in WoW is
    >> caused by. Personally I am unsure.

    >WoW is written in C++, best proof is when the game crashes, the log
    >Includes the name of the source file (e.g. File:
    >C:\build\buildWoW\WoW\Source\Ui\ChatFrame.cpp) which always has a .cpp
    >extension, pointing at a C++ source file.

    Like every other developer Blizzard used tools for animation, level
    design etc. The tools have their own sripting languages. The end
    results would be compiled into C++ or parsed. The performance depends
    on the quality of the compiler/parser.

    On 2005-09-06 12:57:50 +0200, "BombayMix" <bombaymix@altavista.co.uk> said:

    >>> Gonna have to get back to you on this. My friend specifically named
    >>> the language (not C++) that Blizzard used & in his opinion, that
    >>> programming language is what the basic performance issues in WoW is
    >>> caused by. Personally I am unsure.
    >
    >> WoW is written in C++, best proof is when the game crashes, the log
    >> Includes the name of the source file (e.g. File:
    >> C:\build\buildWoW\WoW\Source\Ui\ChatFrame.cpp) which always has a .cpp
    >> extension, pointing at a C++ source file.
    >
    > Like every other developer Blizzard used tools for animation, level
    > design etc. The tools have their own sripting languages. The end
    > results would be compiled into C++ or parsed. The performance depends
    > on the quality of the compiler/parser.

    True, but I cant believe performance critical code like resource and
    file handling wont be written as low level as possible.
    --
    http://www.new-roots.com/
    Nerghal - Undead Warlock lvl 60 - Bloodscalp EU
    Chasey - Undead Priest lvl 22 - Bloodscalp EU
    Gwar - Orcish Warrior lvl 10 - Bloodscalp EU
    Millah - Human Mage lvl 11 - Burning Blade EU

    On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 00:20:38 +0200, "Thomas J. Boschloo"
    <nospam@hccnet.nl> wrote:

    >> RAID-0 does not make your HD head move faster - it just looks faster.
    >
    >That is what I said! Head positioning times are a killer in WoW IMO.
    >Raid 0-5 doesn't solve that at all.
    >Thomas

    AAahhh - that smell of BS just got stronger

    Off course RAID-0 helps. Although each HD head does not move faster -
    You have 2 hard disks sharing the load !!

    If you have 1 file of 4gb (for instance) if file is stripped
    contiguousely - seek time is the same but raid read it twice as fast.

    If the file is not contiguous and split into 1000 pieces - then each
    hard drive only has to find 500 pieces and they work in parallel so
    500 x 8ms instead of 1000 x 8ms!!

    Its a slightly simplistic description - but im sure you get the gist.

    Cheers

    Justin Thompson wrote:
    > On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 00:20:38 +0200, "Thomas J. Boschloo"
    > <nospam@hccnet.nl> wrote:
    >

    >>>RAID-0 does not make your HD head move faster - it just looks faster.
    >>
    >>That is what I said! Head positioning times are a killer in WoW IMO.
    >>Raid 0-5 doesn't solve that at all.
    >>Thomas
    >

    > AAahhh - that smell of BS just got stronger

    Whatever, IMO reading stuff is very fragmented in WoW.
    Thomas
    --
    Life is like a videogame with no chance to win - ATR

Graphics Cards World Of Warcraft ATI Video Games