plouie10

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Hi Guys,
Perhaps you can steer my in the right direction. I currently on SHAW High speed Extreme internet. I have it hooked up to a Netgear WNR3500L-100NAS router which has 4GB ports. I have one going downstairs in an 8 port GB switch. When running speed test it comes back at approx. 22-25mbps download which is perfectly fine. The issue is when I am downloading at 2mbps it slows the rest of the network down (including wireless) to the point that it's painful. I don't know where to start looking. When I pause or stop downloading. The speed either wired or wireless is fine. Is it the limitation of the router? If so, can anybody suggest a better one?
Thanks
Phil

Solution
Do you have QoS turned on?
Are you sure it is 2 Mbps and not 2 MBps
it is very easy to get mixed up between MegaBytes and megabits. I think IDM shows the transfers rates in MBps (MegaBytes)
at 22-25mpbs that is around 2.75 - 3 MBps
My guess is it is 2MBps because with a paid subscription I would expect allot faster the 2mbps download.
If you don't know, then download a 1 GB file from one of the sites. if it is doing only 2mbps it will take about an hour to download it. If it is doing a 2MBps it should take 5-10 minuets.

plouie10

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011

I'm the only one doing downloading. I use IDM and only download from paid storage sites like, Filesonic, Fileserve, Rapidshare. Because I have premium accounts I can download with 4 threads (if that's the proper term) at a time to get the speed. I don't use torrents. I've been contemplating using a Fortinet 60C wifi as a last resort. I have a demo coming to test. Because I don't know much about how the routers handle large amounts of traffic it's kind of a hit and miss process of elimination. Any ideas?
Thanks for the quick reply.

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
Do you have QoS turned on?
Are you sure it is 2 Mbps and not 2 MBps
it is very easy to get mixed up between MegaBytes and megabits. I think IDM shows the transfers rates in MBps (MegaBytes)
at 22-25mpbs that is around 2.75 - 3 MBps
My guess is it is 2MBps because with a paid subscription I would expect allot faster the 2mbps download.
If you don't know, then download a 1 GB file from one of the sites. if it is doing only 2mbps it will take about an hour to download it. If it is doing a 2MBps it should take 5-10 minuets.

Solution

plouie10

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011

Hi,
No I don't have QoS turned on. Should I? When looking at IDM I get about 500-700KB per second x 4 so what ever that translates to. You are right, now I'm really confused between MBps and Mbps. When running a test at speedtest.net it shows tonight that I get around 17Mbps. Usually it's up around 22Mbps. So if your calculations are correct then then answer could be that I'm maxing out my internet connection. Which would explain the slowness for everybody else trying to connect. Would my assumption be correct?
Thanks for your assistance.

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
No you can leave QoS turned off.
Yeah it takes 8 bits to make 1 Byte. Usually everyone uses Bytes now, except for ISPs because 24mbps sounds faster then 3 MBps, but it is the same speed.

Yeah I think you are just maxing out your connection speed.
Does IDM have a speeds limits you can set? You could set it to about 2MBps for 17 Mbps or 2.5MBps for 22mbps. that should leave you with over 100KBps for the rest of the network.