Please help...?reformat pre loading of XP sp2?

Hello,

I have a dell 8250, Pentium 4, 2.39GHz and 768 MB of ram
With XP home v 5.1 SP1

And after all the add/remove programs, downloading and updates I’ve done
it’s a bit slow.

I’ve completed the usual scan disk, disk clean up, defrag, virus, ad ware,
spy ware checks and all results come clean (let me know if there is another
step I missed).

But the computer is still dragging. So I figured that I should start a
fresh, no? I know it might be time consuming but I’m willing to endure if it
will be beneficial.

I did a back up of all my data (i.e. word excel doc’s, music pictures, etc.)
just by dragging them to my external HD connected via usp2 port. Do I need to
back up the system state data, if so I plan on using the following link to
guide me (http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_backup.htm). Anything else
necessary to back up that I might have missed or is that enough?

So how do I go about reformatting and starting a fresh? I can either install
XP Home edition version 2002 which includes SP1 or windows XP professional,
which do you recommend? I have the dell dimensions resource CD and the Dell
Tools cds, if necessary. Any other disks I should make sure I have?

After the reformat and loading of either XP, but before installing the SP2
(which I have on disk) do I reinstall all my software programs (e.g. XP
office, adelphia internet software, messenger, palmpilot, etc.) and all the
driver updates (e.g. my HP printer and digital camera)? And for additional
drivers I go to dells website but they have so many listed I’m sure many are
unnecessary how to find out which ones I need
(http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/devices.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_8250&os=WW1&osl=EN).
Dell tells me my BIOS is fine but how do I double check, cant rely on dell as
am sure you all know.

Also pre install of SP2 do I have to then download the various windows
“critical� updates.

I plan on using the following steps at this link to install SP2
What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx

Service Pack 2 Checklist

Ok I tried to be as thorough as possible. Let me know if you have any
questions.

I’m open to any comments, suggestions or alternatives.

Thanks again for your help,

Lear

Its not that complicated.....Simply open file transfer wizard,set computer
as old,
select the settings,files,folders you want it to save,save to a new folder
that
you create,once the wizard is thru,transfer to a cd,or hd.If you have a
retail
version of xp,install the cd,boot to cd,select,install xp,new copy,delete
the partition
create one,then xp reformats and installs auto.

TRENDING THREADS